Marines scrambling down cargo nets into landing craft

Hell, even Gomer Pyle had difficulties with this.
mmm

Nitpick to nitpick: While the 2nd Amphibious Tractor Battaliondid bring their LVT’s to Tarawa, most of the ship-to-shore lift was planned to use LCT’s and LCVP’s. Planners scheduled the invasion at a time they thought the tides would provide enough clearance for the landing craft to go over the reef, but unappreciated neap tide effects meant that the tide did not rise enough. The landing craft grounded on the reefs and the Marines were forced to wade into shore under heavy fire. This was the primary reason that “Terrible Tarawa” earned its bloody reputation.

Regarding the removal of casualties, an acquaintance from my childhood , a collogue of my father’s, was a casualty clearing station surgeon who went ashore on Omaha Beach at mid-morning on June 6. He set up his clearing station under a burnt-out bulldozer. For the next ten days all he did was apply tourniquets, pour sulfa powder into open wounds, close wounds with safety pins and get people on the next out-bound landing craft. He said that the only surgery he did was to open penetrating wound enough to get the sulfa powder well into the cavity or tie off a blood vessel. It was pretty crude medicine.

Also “Last Ship There”

22 knots top speed !

Labtrash, EM3, Bow Ramp operator, USS LaMoure County LST-1194, 1988-1992

I think the life expectancy of the ship after a beach landing was supposed to be four minutes…

The part underlined refers to the N Africa and Sicily landings or to Normandy?