Marketing question regarding guarantees

Jack Benny did this shtick too, very much in-character for him. (For the benefit of you younger dopers who didn’t know Jack Benny, his TV personna was a well-to-do but frugal stingy miser.) He is seen munching from a bowl full of peanuts, while dictating a letter to his servant Rochester, describing in elaborate detail how unsatisfactory the peanuts are. Afterward, he muses, “Gee, I just love these satisfaction or double-your-money-back offers.”

From an old thread of several years ago, I find this relevant post:

My personal story:

I bought a used HP DeskJet printer, circa 1991, which was back in the days when DeskJet printers didn’t have model numbers because there was only one model, and “DeskJet” was the model. It is a monochrome printer only. A few years afterward, HP came out with a revised model of the ink cartridge, which cost not-quite-twice-as-much but supposedly could print twice as much before quitting. Well, that style of cartridge NEVER worked well in my printer, not even unto this very day. It would print anywhere from just a few pages to about half-the-cartridge then quit. After a few years, they discontinued the original model of those cartridges, so I’ve been stuck having to use the newer ones ever since.

So I took a few back to the dealer where I bought them. He exchanged a few, but also remarked that he had to eat the cost of those himself. After a few such exchanges, he invited me to not come back to his shop again.

(I never did learn if other HP DeskJet users had similar problems or if there was something about my printer that was causing that.)