marshall law in US?

This is just my WAG but I would suspect that whenever the State Guard is sent into a disaster area to keep order and prevent looting, as in the hurricane area in Florida, the governor has declared the area under martial law. I would think that otherwise the guard would have no legal authority.

Thanks muchly. That’s a start (a real one), at least. But it sounds like I’ll hafta ask some of my poli sci friends to refer me to one who has studied European constitutional law. As if I didn’t already have too many subjects I’ve got books stacked up to read. The worst of it is that I don’t find either political science, or government, or law anything other than bo-RING. <deep sigh> :frowning: But if I don’t get at least a veneer of knowledge about the difference, I’m likely to make an absolute fool of myself (by my standards). And I hate that with a passion.

When all civil aviation was grounded in the U.S. in 2001, was that a form of “martial law”? Given that it severely curtailed citizens’ freedom to travel, it seems to me as if it was unconstitutional. I’ll concede that at the time of the attacks that grounding of airliners would have been justified for a day or two. But to ground everyone for weeks and months does not seem at all justified.

Well, remember, constitutional law is a whole different animal – it’s different in every country, dependent not only on its legal but on its political history. In the U.S., constitutional law means the 1789 Constitution and the body of case law that has grown up interpreting it. In Britain, there is no written constitution so the picture is rather different. You can speak of a certain course of action as “unconstitutional” because it violates all established custom and precedent, but that’s never clear-cut, and in theory Parliament has absolute and unlimited sovereignty. France and Germany and Japan have written constitutions dating from after WWII, so constitutional law is, presumably, less elaborately developed there than in the U.S. Etc.

Huh? The airspace was closed and planes unable to fly for just 2-3 days. Isn’t that right?

Is your memory playing tricks with you? Aviation was grounded for two days, not weeks or months.

P.S. During those two days, everyone was free to travel by car, train, or bus.

There is nothing unconstitutional about the President seizing emergency powers, even without the permission of Congress or any other government body.

The President has done it many many times in the past. However, typically the place where lines are drawn is habeas corpus rights.

It was considerably longer in L.A., where I lived. I don’t remember how long GA was grounded; but it was weeks, anyway. I lived under the traffic pattern for SMO, and enjoyed hearing the airplanes fly over. It was very, very eerie that it was so quiet for so long. Not to mention that I was not allowed to go out and rent a helicopter.

On the other hand, many FBOs were driven out of business across the country.

For us ignorant folks, what’s an FBO?

The National Guard does not have any legal authority. A state of emergency is declared, not martial law. For the most part the NG is used for logistical support and a show of force, not in a law enforcement role. If the NG is used to quell civil disturbances then they have to work with local law enforcement. If a law is broken in the presence of a soldier they detain the suspect only long enough to turn over to local law enforcement. If a guardsman happens to be a cop he has to give up his arresting authority if he has been activated for CD operations. The posse comitatus statute has been discussed here ad nauseam.

The ban on general aviation was lifted in sections.

If you were instrument rated and stayed out of certain airspace, you could fly starting around 9/20/2001

VFR, helicopters and students couldn’t fly until December of 2001.

Fixed based operator: an airport business which offers aviation services and products such as aircraft rental, sales, fueling, flight instruction, and aircraft service and maintenance.

So about three months. :frowning:

Los Angeles International Airport reopened for commercial flights on September 13, 2001. Los Angeles Times, Sept. 14, 2001:

Los Angeles Times, Sept. 15, 2001:

General Aviation aircraft were grounded until December, as BobT said.

“Civil aviation” is not just commercial airlines. It is charter flights, sightseeing flights, flight training, people commuting in their own aircraft, doctors making rounds in sparsely populated areas, news gathering, pipeline and power line patrol, advertising, and people just poking holes in the sky.

Are you sure about that, Bob? I didn’t fly, but that’s because the FAA enacted a Temporary Flight Restriction barring all general aviation around the Washington DC area and my school was within 15 miles of DC. The school moved operations to Annapolis and resumed shortly after, unbeknownst to me. I don’t remember hearing about a TFR around LA, but then I wouldn’t have paid attention since I don’t live there. I’ll browse the AOPA site and see if they have some historic TFR information.

After the Watts riots of 1965 and the Los Angeles riots of 1991 both had a kind of “Martial Law” enacted. Curfews, soldiers on the streets and lots of arrests.

I was just a nipper but I think there was a limited “Martial Law” in Kent, Ohio before and after the Kent State University student shootings, because of the riots during the preceding weekend. Someone else may know more.

Sorry, I meant 1992 for the L.A. Riots, I was there too, :smack:

But, Johnny L.A., you wrote above, “But to ground everyone for weeks and months does not seem at all justified.” Emphasis yours.

Not being an aviation expert, there may have been some exceptions for student pilots if they were in airspace far away from anyplace else.
I was getting my info from newspapers and it’s likely that a reporter may have oversimplified the case.

But the part on helicopters seemed to be correct. It was a while before TV stations could use their helicopters again.

Damn, Walloon; I didn’t think they made nits that small!

I think it’s obvious by the context, since I mentioned airlines in the first part of the sentence that “everyone” meant “everyone else”. Maybe I could have worded it better, but “everyone else” (i.e., General Aviation) was grounded for months; at least in the L.A. area, with which I’m most familiar.

So when do “emergency powers” become “martial law”?