Martial arts.....and stuff

Well, maybe it’s not a consensus; however, IMHO, trying to learn martial arts from a book is a complete waste of time.
Once someone has a solid foundation in how to practice and has developed a good kinesthetic (sp?) sense of their body and has adequate experience in dealing with others’ body masses in relation to their own I think that a little could be gained from reading. But it’s about equivalent to a spit shine on something that already glossy.
I’ve never seen anyone who learned exclusively from books and/or videos and/or three-day seminars who was able to perform any better than someone who had no experience. Sometimes they were worse because they had reinforced bad habits through practice. I know this all based on anecdotal evidence, hence IMHO & YMMV.
I say good luck ICP. But don’t expect to learn one MA let alone two from a book.
Oh yeah and practice.
That’s why they are called MA “practioners”. Staying hungry by the way isn’t meant metaphorically. If you’re traing hard enough it’s a literal reality.

The only books I’ve found to be of any help at all are forms books, which I use sometimes if I am mentally blanking on what the next move is. Books or videos to teach kicking techniques, punching techniques, sparring strategies, etc., IMHO, vary from occasionally helpful to completely useless. (can you imagine someone trying to learn to throw a side kick from a book?)

I always thought the best illustration of this was in the original “Karate Kid” movie, where Daniel-san was trying to keep up with his martial arts knowledge by using books. Really helped him get beaten on by the Kobra Kai’s. It was interaction with a quality instructor that built his technique.

Another aspect of martial arts practice that you won’t get from a book is building friendships with your fellow students. In fact, I’d say that in a good school, regardless of style, it is the formation of these friendships that keeps people coming to class. It’s not just exercise, self-improvement, etc., it’s also coming and doing something fun with your friends. As a white collar urban professional, I find that martial arts classes expose me to a much broader variety of people than I might meet otherwise, and gives me a well-rounded circle of friends. (In fact, in an indirect way, I met jeevgurl as a result of my martial arts training because one of my fellow students introduced me to Eva Luna, who hosted the picnic at which I met jeevgurl.)

As a former instructor I have to agree with Simon.

Like most things, you will only become proficient through practice.

When I started training some 23 years ago I was looking to develop my fighting and defensive skills and immersed myself in my training. I would practice at least 4 hours a day, 6 days a week and augment the martial arts training by cycling 40 miles on most days and would also swim laps in the mornings.

I practiced Chito-Ryu Karate which is very similar to kick boxing in that it focuses on using basic punches and blocks with emphasis placed on kicking techniques that targeted the lower extremities. I sparred every day.

These skills have served me well in that most of the encounters I have been in (that required use of force) have resulted in me walking away from someone who was no longer able to walk unassisted. By being in really good shape and absorb punishment I have taken some really good hits and been able to respond with “that’s all you’ve got?” which in many cases will deter an opponent. I dislike violence and retaliation is not always needed if your opponent decides to cease hostilities.

My philosophy is that one should not limit themselves to one style as there are many techniques that can be learned that will augment your repetoire of skills. I trained with other instructors so I could acquire other skills such as holds, throws, and ground fighting techniques. In turn, I taught them what I knew so we all ended up being pretty well rounded fighters.

Sorry but you’re wrong. Anything an instructor can SAY can be written down in a book. Anything an instructor can DO can be shown in a book using detailed pictures.

Say & Do: The 2 things that a human instructor does to teach anything… Both easily reproducable in printed form.

The only thing that is lacking then is someone actually looking over your shoulder and making sure that something is being done properly. But… If the person writing the book is smart enough and has good enough communication skills, it’s not necessary. Because the description of the moves will be done in minute detail and clarified at a deep level… And the images will fully enhance the descriptions. So if you can read & follow directions you will be doing every move properly anyways.

Now with all of this said, to the original poster: You just have to look around. There are too many various styles of martial arts. They are all geared towards different needs. You need to figure out why you want to learn martial arts, what reasons do you persue it? Then research based on that to find the style that is best fitting your own needs. Then look for books relating specifically to your subject matter.

anewthought - no matter what you read, you cannot gain any real idea of what it is like to face an opponent who wants to hurt you (either full contact or simulated).

Moreover, however sound your technique and plan, an unwilling opponent may have different ideas.

And I can’t imagine trying to grapple without an opponent/partner.

If you wanted to go the book and video route, at the very least you will need a partner who is willing to try to learn with you. But your rate of learning and your proficiency achieved will be extremely low compared to in-class study.

There are tons of quality martial artists in all kinds of styles in England. You should have several options, wherever your exact location.

TomCat clearly knows what he speaks of concerning kickboxing in all of its forms. Don’t go there unless you are willing to take some shots. But I think training some version of standup striking is the quickest and most effective way to gain some self defense proficiency. If you are interested in kickboxing, be sure you are training a fighting style, instead of an aerobics course.

The book can’t observe you as you perform a technique. Even if you do it in a mirror, you can’t see yourself from all sides, or all perspectives. The book can guide, but it cannot analyze and diagnose.

You assume that if directions are set down with some mythical “perfect clarity”, it would be impossible to perform the moves incorrectly. But that assumes that humans are like computers. Generally speaking, if we think we’re telling a computer to do X and it does Y, we start looking at the instructions we gave the computer. But human beings are capable of making mistakes even on things that are perfectly described. They forget, they lose concentration, etc., etc. So, unlike the computer, the fault may very well not lie in the instructions, but in the person performing the instructions. This is why in so many fields, not just the martial arts, textbook instruction is joined with practical instruction. Science courses come to mind immediately. There are many things that are best learned by practice under observation of a more experienced person.

And the book cannot give you interaction with another person. Bruce Lee said that to know oneself is to study oneself in action with another. Although there are parts of the Tao of Jeet Kune Do that I don’t agree with, I fully agree with that statement. Martial arts are interactive. A book or video can’t duplicate that.

“Sorry but you’re wrong. Anything an instructor can SAY can be written down in a book. Anything an instructor can DO can be shown in a book using detailed pictures.”

That would be one hell of a large book, just lifting it would probably tone up some muscles and if thrown correctly, it could cause some serious damage.

Books provide information and teach theory, reading a cookbook does not make one an expert chef.

Books do not correct you when you do something wrong.

ICP, This is total BS.
Even if this were theoretically true, (which it isn’t), it would be a theory comparable to the theory that with a big enough lever and the right fulcrum I could lift the planet earth.
I have never seen anyone who has learned do anything related to MA just from a book or video or video series effectively.

In theory, there’s no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there is.

If you would like to test anewthought’s theory, I wholeheartedly suggest that you do. Spend six months with whatever book anewthought reccomends and then go and test you skills against others who have spent the same amount of time in classes.
If you do this please post your experience here as a warning to other newbies.

To follow up on anewthought and SimonX’s reply with another personal example.

One of the MA web sites I like describes the movements in the TKD forms I do. It has a list of stuff like, “For the form Wan-hyo, the first movement is a step to the left into a back stance, throwing a twin forearm block.” (I started this form last night.) A reference can show the starting position, a back stance, and the block, but it cannot help you do it. The reference makes for a good supplement to interactive instruction and feedback, not a replacement.

The most important thing an instructor can do that a printed reference cannot do is work with YOU and YOUR particular case.

Another important advantage of an instructor over a book is that the instructor can push you beyond your self-evaluation. The instructor isn’t just watching over your shoulder to make sure you’re doing the technique right, he’s also pushing you to do it better, higher, smoother, with more energy.

Oh – one other critical point, ICP. Learn only one martial art at a time, to avoid confusion between the two styles. (It would really suck to work on a tai chi form and suddenly snap a round kick combination.)

So: Figure out why you want to learn a martial art, what you want to get out of it. (Allow that your answer may change over time). Find a style that fits your goals. Visit some schools in that style, and find one that fits your learning type, goals, and other factors. Learn. Practice. Study. Practice. Learn. Practice. Then practice some more. And more.

Wow! I’ve been recognized by Dinsdale! Can I add that to my sig? :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought about mentioning Tae-bo or kickbox-aerobic, but for some reason I didn’t…Great exercise, but the lack of sparring doesn’t do it for me.

I think it would be appropriate to add boxing here. Plain old boxing. If you want conditioning and a quick route to self-defense, IMHO, it is hard to beat a good jab-cross-hook combo. I studied traditional martial arts for a few years, but was never able to connect in my mind how to hit, and hit hard. Once I started Thai boxing, my instructer pulled me aside and worked on my basic boxing punches…I swear, I doubled my ability to defend myself in 2 hours of plain and simple boxing techniques. I never learned how important your hips are until I was taught how to do a proper upper-cut. You can feel a difference, which, to answer the OP, I doubt you can get from a book. But be prepared to get the snook beat out of ya at a normal boxing gym…there ain’t no ‘art’ in this martial art to start. You’ll be in the ring on your first day, getting pushed to your limit. Later you’ll fly like a butterfly.

Take care-
-Tcat

I agree about boxing being a good deal. There aren’t schools that teach light-contact boxing. I think that light contact sparring has limited value in a martial education.
If you can’t find a school where you can, at some point, engage in full-contact sparring I think you should keep looking.
You only get better at what you practice. If all you practice is light-contact sparring or shadow-boxing then that’s all you get better at.
Being thrown to the mat takes some getting used to. So does taking a gut shot. If you don’t train to be able do these sorts of things you’re not really getting what you think you’re paying for.
That said I think that you, (most everyone), should build up to FC sparring. Conditioning of your body is crucial. Ask a boxer how much ab wirk he/she does. Can’t neglect the neck either. If you don’t know why it’d ruin a great suprise if I told you.
Also you should know, that despite current American stereotypes, Tai Chi practitioners compete in full-contact events.

Recognized by me? Yeah - that is quite an honor! :cool: Heck, - I’ll bow to your wisdom a second time.

I could not agree more. There are many many excellent martial arts. But I doubt any are significantly better than good old western boxing in terms of footwork or throwing quick combinations of powerful punches. Moreover, boxing teaches you how to avoid being hit. It is surprising how hard it is to hit someone with good footwork and upper body motion. Toss in a couple of lowline kicks, and you can develop a pretty impressive arsenal pretty quick.

I also second your suggestion concerning being wary of traditional boxing gyms. It is far too common to teach a neophyte a couple of combinations, introduce him the the speed and heavy bags, and then simply toss them into the ring where they get the crap beat out of them as sparring fodder for the more experienced boxers.

Always wear proper headgear and a proper full-mouth mouthpiece.

Once you are somewhat confident standing up, start grappling to learn how helpless you can be on the ground. Toss in some basic combat knife work - slash and stab - screw the disarms and knife tapping - and you’ve got about all the insurance you’ll ever need. Hell, if that ain’t enough, either buy yourself a gun or simply don’t leave the house!

Tomcat, you ever go rounds with your lead shoelace tied to your opponent’s? THAT will teach you the benefit of head and body movement!

The most effective techniques (for me) have been the feint and the counter. Sparring was the only way to develop them. I studied martial arts and western boxing, I agree that boxing was valuable in building speed, balance, and elusiveness.

I feel that this depends on the reason for studying the art, and on the instructional style of the school. If the student plans to participate in forms competitions, or if the style heavily emphasizes forms, this is excellent advice. If the goal is conditioning and/or self-defense, multiple styles are OK. I studied arnis, kenpo, and kickboxing simultaneously and found that the different conditioning involved in three very different styles can be beneficial. Combining elements of all three styles also proved useful in sparring. Fortunately, I attended a very relaxed and informal school where this kind of synthesis met with approval.

i guess i need to go find a class huh? i keep thinkin im too old thought - even though im only 16 :dubious:
Basically i wanna learn it as an aid for self defense, and also to make my mind better, more focussable (…that can’t be a word) etc. I have read acouple of books (R.E.A.C.T, and vol 1 & 3 of the art of black medicine) that tell you how to kill people with one punch…which is nice : \ but if i learned karate or somethin then i could knock a guys head across the room without aiming for any obscure arteries or nerves.

ps: has anyone read any of the above books as well as studying a martial art? did it help?

Dinsdale, no I haven’t. I have done back against the wall training which did much of the same thing, but yours would allow for circling.

Man…I need to get back into the gym. I took a break after my daughter was born and have only managed to get back to an occasional Saturday morning class…

-Tcat

You’re never too old to begin a martial art. Our oldest beginner is 42. I’ve heard that recently a 75 year old got his green belt!
Presently I do jiu jitsu, Jitsu Foundation style (can be found here http://www.jitsufoundation.org/using_site.htm , apologies for the website, it’s pretty dire. My club website in Manchester is here http://www.orgs.man.ac.uk/student/jitsu/main.htm ) we have clubs across the country (UK) and few international ones.
I’ve also done Tae won Do.
Judo/Jiu Jitsu are VERY close contact martial arts, if you don’t like this, then this isn’t the martial art for you.

Oh, yes. Never be tempted to do one of the black belt video correspondance courses. They’re a VERY big waste of money.

Too old at 16?!
I started in my late 20s. Just recently stopped in my early 40s after busting up my wrist, and developing some pretty severe arthritis in my foot.

IC - from your last post it sounds as tho your ideas of self defense/MA/fighting are pretty unrealistic.

I don’t know much about England, but this guy - IMO - is a pretty decent guy, knows a bit about fighting, as well as the European MA community. You might want to give him a shout, see if he can point you in the right direction to get started.
http://www.cea.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ceaweb/index.htm

ICP, age 16 is not too old. People start martial arts at age 4, and at age 44. Tournaments often have a division for 45-and-older beginners.

Most unarmed styles will include good elements of self-defense, and most styles (armed or unarmed) will improve mental focus. As a minimum, going into the gym (or dojo, or dojang) twice a week for practice will improve your mental discipline; the maximum is up to you.

Don’t concentrate on the “one-touch kill” techniques. It could take a few years to develop the self-control to not use those techniques, before you’re ready to learn those flashy advanced techniques. Start with the basics.

At the moment, I give you a very slight recommendation towards soft styles (grabs / holds / throws), to counter the apparant desire for hard combat techniques. That desire has me particularly worried.

Balance, thanks for the YMMV reminder.