Marty (1955) Oscar winner starring Ernest Borgnine: Discussion

I don’t have Marty, but here is the snippet from “Guys and Dolls.” Again, this person looks like Orbach, but is it? Dunno. . .

Yes, this is the appeal. Ordinary looking people engaging in realistic dialogue.

I saw it last year for the first time. While I give it a thumbs up, I didn’t find it that amazing. I knew exactly where it was going so there was no suspense. Also some of Marty’s rambling dialogue was painful to listen to.

I think the controversy I’m thinking of has to do with some movie winning an Academy Award when, especially in retrospect, some other film deserved it more. Seems like it was the '50s. Not Raging Bull.

Eh. I just looked through all the winners and nominees, and I don’t know what in the heck I’m talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

*Marty *was a surprising win as many thought it would be snubbed coming from a TV origin and a TV writer. But is was pretty deserving IMHO. Mr. Roberts was a really good movie but I can see *Marty *winning over it. Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing was not as good and I have never seen *Picnic *or *The Rose Tattoo *so I can’t be sure about those.

You know looking at the Oscars for various years, some year really stand out as having some truly incredible and/or beloved movies that did not win. I think 1939 is pretty famous as one of those years, but 1962 had 3 truly all time great movies in Lawrence of Arabia, The Longest Day & To Kill a Mockingbird.

1994 always stood out to me with The Shawshank Redemption & Pulp Fiction losing to Gump. Three all time great movies to me at least. Also Quiz Show was pretty darn good and mentioned many times in this thread.

While short of a controversy, Bornine related that he was confident there was no way in hell he was going to win for “Best Actor.” He said he had made a bet (something like two bucks in pennies) with Jerry Lewis that he would pay him if he won. When he did win, you can seem him handing something to Lewis before he accepts the Oscar, presumably the money he had bet.

I love this movie (and had seen it before Quiz Show).

I think it’s because I feel a strong connection with Marty the character. I went through the same kind of struggles, though not in a single 36 hour period.