marxist criticism

On-line dictionary definition of “false consciousness”

Entry for “false consciousness from an on-line encyclopedia”

Letter from Friedrich Engels cited above

This is all fascinating, but is it really the only answer. When I hear the term “Marxist Criticism” I think of one of the “re-education” techniques used in most Communist regimes. In theory, a comrade is taken in front of his peers and questioned as to whether he has been upholding the principles of the party and, in this way, gains insight into how he can better support the revolution etc. In practice, I think it meant they took the guy into a room and beat the crap out of him until he confessed his shortcomings and promised to do better.

(I think a few religions have had similar methods.)

OK, constantine, something to work with. Albeit some very strange stuff. “Failure to recognize the instruments of oppression and exploitation as one’s own creation”?? How, exactly, are the long hours and low wages at a place like McDonald’s the creation of someone whose first day on the job is today?

And here’s another little feature that should set your alarm bells off: the phrase “many people believe”. Paragraphs beginning with those three words don’t usually make for very strong cites. “Many people believe” Saddam Hussein had something to do with September 11th, yet Bush himself admitted in July he had no evidence to back that up. “Many people believe” the theory of false consciousness is just another mask for oppression, but that isn’t enough evidence to confirm it as truth.

That leaves us Engels’ definition of false consciousness. All it says here, basically, is that false consciousness is a phenomenon whereby an individual’s actions and decisions in the world are based on an imperfect understanding of it. Nowhere does he say that false consciousness is an act of willful ignorance, nor that marxists alone have the ability to break through that false consciousness. Engels is merely stating a socially-conditioned fact - one he and Marx carefully examined, not just something they claimed “many people believe”.