Masterpiece Theatre -- Northanger Abbey

Ah, thank you, Jess, now the tarted-upedness makes sense. :slight_smile:

Sounds like I had better read this book! [del]And “The Mysteries of Udolpho.”[/del]

I’ll do it for you.

It’s really a shame they didn’t slip it in there, but I don’t remember John Thorpe interacting with his mother at all. I suppose if they had, then the seductive quality of the Thorpes would have lessened a little. Sure they’re a bad influence, but they’re an awful lot of fun, aren’t they? He wouldn’t have been nearly as charming if he was going around telling his mother and sisters they were ugly.

I liked this a lot more than “Persuasion.” It seemed less forced and rushed than the former, and it was nicely adapted for a modern audience. I don’t think having Captain Tilney seduce Isabella was that much of a historical misstep, considering the scandals (ohnoes!) in the other books Dangerosa noted. A kiss in James Morland’s sight probably would have accomplished the same thing, but I don’t think most modern people would accept someone breaking off an engagement over a kiss as easily as sleeping with someone.

Did anyone else find John Thorpe a little creepy looking? He looked so hulking and threatening when he’s staring at Catherine while she’s dancing.

Definitely creepy.
And can someone who has read it more recently than I fill me in - did he say “Damn” and “Dammit” as frequently in the book? Struck me as quite jarring in the film.

FYI, You can find all of Austen’s text online (it being public domain) and searchable, so its easy enough to find quotes, or use of words.

You can’t imagine how relieved I am to hear that someone else finds her creepy. What’s with her?

I don’t know if it was used in the book, but I do know that in polite society of that time - especially in the company of ladies - that language would not have been used. Simply not. Dammit.

I’m currently reading it online and it’s written as “D_ _ _ it”, and he says it often.
Can someone tell me what the meaning of “quiz” or “quizzing” is in relation to the story. I’m picturing an early form of Trivial Pursuit, but I’m probably way off.

Actually, old John does use ‘damn’ and ‘damn it’ in the book – abbreviated in the text to ‘d–’ or ‘d-- it.’ He was a very vulgar fellow!

ETA: Jinx!

I forgot to mention Gillian Anderson. She was a hot mess, wasn’t she? I missed her at the beginning of Persuasion (turned the TV on late and didn’t like the production enough to save it on my DVR once I’d watched it once) but she was… odd – in Nothnager Abbey. Strange pauses in her speech and she just seemed disconnected… almost as if she was high or something.

“Quiz” can mean a couple things. It can mean a person’s face, or a queer object (see Mrs. Thorpe’s hat), or to examine something (see quizzing glass, a pair of spectacles on a ribbon or chain).

John Thorpe is also substantially more obnoxious in the book. Somebody on another message board described him as a frat boy, and that’s about right. Now to find him a polo shirt and a tennis visor . . .

Like I said, I haven’t read NA for some time.
If John was indeed such a jerk, why did Catherine tolerate/encourage/defend him?

Because he’s her brother’s friend and her friend’s brother, so she couldn’t really act rudely toward him without major fallout. She’s also very naive, so for all she knows, every word that falls out of his mouth is the truth.

Pm’d you.

It should go out tomorrow.

StG

Finally got the time to watch this. I quite enjoyed it! I’ve never read Northanger Abbey, so had no idea what to expect. I quite liked the story, and really want to read it now. I loved the main actors, especially Henry Tilney. I agree with those of you that thought John Thorpe was quite the creepy hulking weirdo.

My 16 year old niece watched it with me, and she’s never seen Jane Austen. I wondered how she would do with it, since she usually calls anything my husband and I like “old-fashioned”, no matter what it is (dontcha just love teenagers). She said it was okay, but she sat and watched the whole thing with me and asked questions and discussed it with me. I’m so happy. Now maybe she’ll watch the rest with me!

I’m really bummed that I missed out on Persuasion. I didn’t hear about this series until the day after it aired, and I didn’t sit down to DVR the rest until after the rerun had aired. I really wanted to see that!

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but in the book, Catherine’s parents do not allow her to marry Henry until his father approves of the match. This is done after Eleanor married the Viscount. Henry is told, “he can be a fool if he wants.”

AIR, Henry also already had a living provided for him as a clergyman as well. There is a scene in the book where they go to his house, I believe…

Yeah, I’m not sure whether that living was provided by his father and whether it could be recinded. But you are right, they didn’t marry without consent in the book, but even on her fortune, they wouldn’t have starved. Catherine Moreland is downright wealthy for Austen heroines.

RachelChristine - I think last weeks consensus was just rent (or buy) the 1995 Persuasion. This version was too rushed and just a little too off. I found it enjoyable, but if you need to see Persuasion, there are better versions out there.

I did. At first I thought (since my memories of Northanger Abber were embarassingly hazy) that they were setting us up for a twist - the unlikable guy would end up being sincere, and the all-smiles polite person would be a scoundrel. But then Mr. Thorpe lied to her about the Tilneys so that blew my theory out of the water.

I saw both Persuasion last week and Northanger Abbey, and after seeing Northanger Abbey I went back to re-read it. I think that the Northanger Abbey film version was more satisfying to those who know the novel because, as has been said, it seemed less rushed and forced. But that’s because it’s a problem a general when adapting a novel to the screen - the shorter the novel, the better the screen version since more of the story can be fit in without having to take shortcuts and assuming the viewer will be able to fill in. A novella is the best fit for a screen adaptation.

I agree that Anne Elliott in last week’s Persuasion did not get enough opportunities to show her character to the viewing audience, but I think Sally Hawkins did well with what little time she had. Last week most people were displease with the running through the streets ending, but I think that, to make the ending more dramatic for modern-day audiences, it worked pretty well. I could feel Anne’s frustration when she was being constantly interrupted by busybodies and well-meaning friends.

By the way, at the PBS website, they have a poll for those who want to vote for their favourite “Man of Austen”.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/menofausten.html

So far, it’s Frederick Wentworth for me, but this is still week 2!

Watching it now. It plays perfectly. Thank you very very very much!

Shirley - What did you think?

StG