Mature / Intelligent Anime

I also recommend Baccano!, anything by Satoshi Kon, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Beebop, but there’s one that hasn’t been mentioned that is my all time favorite (been watching anime since 1980’s) and that is Now and Then, Here and There. If you are fine with watching violent anime like Shigurui Death Frenzy, and saddening anime like Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There deserves your attention. It starts out to the viewer as a run-of-the-mill-fun anime, but quickly, in the first episode, plunges the main character (named Shu) into an alternate world ravaged by warfare where most adults have been killed and children replace them.

From the back of the DVD case: “Dragged through a time warp by a giant machine, Shu is thrust into a hellish future just at it explodes into war! He is caught in the carnage as a Tyrant unleashes deadly force against a rebel army. But Shu is not alone…he is surrounded by courageous soldiers, a battalion of enslaved children, and enigmatic wanderers, each with their own fascinating story. Together, they face the ultimate challenge of survival in a world gone MAD!”

Please do not watch this in English. The American voice acting is horrendous. They used 30 yr old actors to portray children. The Japanese with subtitles is an easy read. This is about a 15 yr old anime so I’m not certain how easy it will be for you to find it, but if you can… FIND IT!

Whisper of the Heart is an often overlooked Studio Ghibli masterpiece. It’s a quiet coming-of-age story about a girl who wants to be a writer and a boy who wants to be a violin maker. It’s very realistic. Except for a brief dream sequence there are none of the fantasy elements you’d expect from a Ghibli film. It’s just a very well-observed little character study.

I second this. Great anime that is not for kids!!!

Patlabor II perhaps? A political thriller with mechs instead of guys in black ski masks.

The late, lamented Satoshi Kon. He will be missed. Yes, definitely recommended.

This (brief) review makes it sound better than I just did :rolleyes:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my default answer to anyone who wants a mature/intelligent anime. It’s a space-opera that focuses on the war between The Goldenbaum Empire and The Free Planets Alliance, with the neutral planet Phezzan trying to manipulate both sides for it’s own purposes. The show is full of well-developed and/or likable characters on both sides of the conflict, which makes it hard to decide which side to root for, if any. Sadly, there’s no official release of the show, but fansubs are available. Check it out.