Max Headroom: the 30th Anniversary omnibus thread

I dedicated a VHS tape to recording Max Headroom episodes (back when tapes were expensive) so now I can watch it whenever I want to.

Hmmm, where can I find a VCR?

I remembered Matt Frewer appearing as Max Headroom on David Letterman (do I have that right?) I was amazed with the technology that made a robot respond to Letterman’s questions; it took me a while to figure out that he was on camera back stage and it was just video special effects.

Like almost all Americans I first saw him on the infamous ‘new’ Coke commercials. Then the Art of Noise video *Paranomia*which got huge rotation on 80s MTV (still like that song!) Didn’t have Showtime so I only ever saw one of his talk shows (wish I’d seen more). Watched some of the ABC show, liked it overall but just never got into it before it was gone. Have never seen any of the original UK shows.

Loved hisappearance on Letterman. Loved even more their later parody, Larry Bud Headroom!

I liked New Coke, and Amanda Pays.

I was kind of a big nerd for the ABC series, even if it was a little weaker than the movie.

I’m happy you brought it up, but saddened it took until post 13 for Amanda Pays’ name to me be mentioned. To me she was at a “I-wouldn’t-be-able-to-talk-to-you” level of hotness. I loved both the movie and the series.

I don’t remember the last time I saw Matt Frewer in anything. The last thing I remember was after MH ended and he played a dr. in the appropriately named Doctor Doctor.

I wish they’d put that out on DVD. I remember liking it a lot, and would love to see it.

It seems to be the only show where all the leads were above 6 feet tall.

“An ‘Off’ switch… She’ll get years for that…”

Just a throwaway line that has always stuck with me for some reason, and in the modern Internet-enabled world of tracking cookies, spyware, targeted advertising and governmental surveillance of citizens, it takes on new meaning…

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to eat a Zik-Zak snak-pak and watch some blipverts

I have the DVD set. It was good but not as good as I remembered.
Matt Frewer is/was in The Librarians

Amanda Pays has shown up on Flash (playing a character with the same name*, but not the same person as she played on the earlier Flash)
Brian

*Tina McGee

He’s been working pretty steadily since then. He was in the first Honey I Shrunk the Kids movie, the Generation X TV movie (which isn’t very good but it does have him in it kind of ripping off Jim Carrey’s Riddler), he’s done some voice work (Incredible Hulk, Gargoyles, etc.), and I last saw him in Orphan Black.

If you haven’t seen Orphan Black, I recommend it.

Every episode is littered with those. Many have lost their shock value by virtue of having come true, or even passé.

“Hackers have broken into our satellite feed! Nothing will be safe! Our credit histories, our medical records…”
“…our ratings!”

Double down on Orphan Black. Not just Frewer, but thematically it should appeal to many Max Headroom fans.

Funny thing is, cable connections s-s-still d-d-do th-th-that…

I think they mentioned those on IMDB, and the couple I saw… Yeah. :smiley:

You may remember him from such shows as Eureka, Orphan Black, and the Librarians.

Well, if you’ve watched any of those.

Yeah, Amanda Pays. What a hottie! Even today I still confuse her with similar 80s hottie Rachel Ward. One was married to the LA Law guy, the other to the FX movie guy…

I found a completely new Max reference last night, and in the most unexpected place. Since I can’t find any mention of it or discussion in places where it should be, I assume I am the first to overlap in this tiny sliver of the Venn diagram intersection.

So I’m wasting an evening hour in Borderlands 2, and I’m on to the second DLC (Torgue’s Campaign), and I go to find the returning NPC character Tiny Tina (a psychotic 13yo bomb expert, since you ask). In the main game, she lived in a cave. In this DLC, she lives in…

…a big pink bus with TV and satellite antennas on top.

I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time - the dogs and kids had to come down to see if I was okay.

I’ve queried Gearbox Software to see if anyone on the design team will 'fess up. As I said, there’s no prior mention of this in the extensive game wiki or discussions. Takes a weirdo to catch a weirdo, I guess.

[10 Days and Counting, now.]

And for those interested, TheVerge.com has run a really interesting “oral history” piece that ties together a lot of half-known stories from the original cast and creative team into a very clear and interesting narrative.

I expect to see a lot of the entertainment rags and blags to run much more recycled material in the next month/year. Verge set the bar pretty high, though.

Thanks for posting that - very interesting stuff. You can definitely still feel some ice cold rancor from some of the players who got cut out of the money bandwagon. Very cool.

Hap-Happy 30th Birthday, Max!