Maybe hell's cool!

I’ve never really been able to put together any kind of coherent (to me) concept of Hell. If Sisyphus decides to just blow off pushing that rock up the hill, what are the powers that be going to do? Poke him? Poke him where? Afterall, isn’t he sans body (How does he get a grip on the rock?)?

Or maybe the idea is that you do occupy some sort of body just so you can be tortured. It seems to me that after awhile, if the poking and burning, etc., can’t kill you, you’d just get used to it.

Even if you had to endlessly watch Kris Kristoferson (sp?) movies, you’d probably just wind up getting into 'em.

This is leading me to think that without any physical threat, the powers that be have little leverage over the Damned. Civil insurrection in the streets of Hell - if it hasn’t happened yet, wait’ll I get there!

HEY!! Watch the Kris K. jibes! I’d give that man a blowjob kneeling on glass, ok?

Stoidela

Boycott shampoo! Demand REAL poo!

Obviously, I don’t know exactly what heaven is like. But I’ll tell you what I do know (according to the Bible…and it’s not in Revelation where it might be misinterpreted)

In heaven, our bodies will be recongizable, and identifiable. The disciples recognized Jesus when He rose from the grave.

We will be supernatural, and therefore, invinsible. There will be no more sickness, no more pain. We will be able to eat, and drink. (will it be “heaven food?” I’m not sure)

There is no marriage in heaven. And since sex is ONLY to be used INSIDE of marriage, it's a garantee that there's also no sex in heaven. So, if there's ONE downside, it would have to be this one.

So, from what we DO know about it, heaven is already going to be a far better place than earth. Plus, it’s a perfect world. No sin, no hate, no crime…etc. I mean, really, what more could you ask for?

Adam

Arg:

Sounds like a recipe for a permanent coma!

Is your life so filled with hate, crime, and sin that you’d give up sex to be free of it? Not mine!

See, this is exactly what I meant about why LDS is so damned attractive! Sex, eventually becoming an all-powerful God yourself…totally blows away the competition. Your version of the afterlife sounds perfectly awful to me. (except for the eating part. But if I can eat all I want, still look fantastic, but never have sex, what’s the friggin’ point?)

Stoidela

What I really don’t understand is why religious folks have no sense of humor.

No sex in Heaven? That settles it. Hail Satan!

What an interesting thread. Sorry I didn’t get here sooner. Some of you are very confused.
ARG you’re the least of the confused. You have it right that Satan tortures the damned because he hates us. As Lucifer, he wanted to overthrow God because God put us above the angels. The old Pride and Arrogance sins were his(Lucifer’s) babies. It’s cool that you actually WANT to go to heaven, but don’t say that too much. My grandmother’s husband died thirty years before I was born, and all my bday and Christmas cards said “have a good day. I wish I was with my Sigurd and my Jesus now” Kinda took the fun out of birthdays.
Heath- you doofus, your friends may be in Hell, but do you think you’ll see them? You’ll have your time occupied with eternal torture, no coffee breaks or recess to hang out with your pals.
Beatle- doofus #2, spritual torture is worse than physical, because you don’t pass out, faint or die from exaustion as you would if you were alive. And no you won’t get used to the pain.
Aseymayo- there’s no sex in Hell either. Sex makes people happy, and Satan doesn’t want people to be happy.

“On the edge of sleep, I awoke to a sun so bright…”

So what is spiritual torture?

Well, I'm not married, so I've never had sex. So it's not like I'd be "giving up" sex. I have no idea what it's like to begin with.

Asraek: Great post! You posted it while I was typing out this one. Don’t worry about me saying I want to go to heaven too much. There’s a lot on this earth that I still want to do before Jesus comes back. But if He comes back today, you’re not going to hear one little complaint from me! :slight_smile:

As for Lucifer (Satan): Did you know that he was second to God in heaven? He was the head worship leader, and was the top angel. But like you said, he got too prideful, and arrogant. Apparently, he collected a band of rebel angels with him. When God threw Lucifer out of heaven, all of his goons went with him, and became demons. I think what happened to Satan is a good illustration of how much God hates sin. He kicked His own angels out of heaven. It's no wonder Satan HATES God so much.

Adam

ARG220 wrote:

Adam, a few questions:

1. Have you ever read the Book of Mormon? Prayed to God about it and asked Him if it’s true or not?

2. Have you ever even attended an LDS Sacrament Meeting? Sunday School? Social function, service project, etc.?

3. Ever heard the leaders speak at “General Conference,” which is twice a year (April and October)?

4. Ever studied LDS theology in general, even? Taken the missionary discussions?

If not, PLEASE stop bashing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I’m inactive in this church, but I have a testimony that it’s true. We’re Christians, we believe in the Bible, and we believe in the living Christ as the center of our faith. A “false religion”? Hardly.

Adam, look at it this way:

Person A has never read the Bible or studied Christianity, but has had people tell him that the Bible is not true.

Person B has studied the Bible and Christianity and has come to the conclusion that they are false.

Person C has studied the Bible and Christianity and has come to the conclusion that they are true.

You meet with Persons A, B and C. Person A tells you that the Bible is not true, although he has never read it. Person B tells you that the Bible is not true, and that he has studied it extensively but never received a witness in his heart that it is true. Person C tells you that the Bible is true, and that he has studied it extensively and received a witness in his heart from God that it is true.

My question: Which person(s) are you more likely to take seriously, the ones who have actually studied Christianity, or the one who’s never studied it but has just “heard” that it isn’t true?

Snarkberry: I am not interested in bashing the church of LDS. To answer your questions, no, I have not read the Book of Mormon, or been to any meetings, or set foot in a Mormon church.

Here's what I've heard about Mormon beliefs. They believe that Jesus was Satan's brother. And that when you die you can have your own little world, and be a little "god."

Then there’s that whole polygamy thing. And I’m pretty sure they deny the deity of Christ, i.e. that He’s not God.

Tell me if I was wrong about any of those things, ok? And if I am right, then surely you understand why I call LDS a false religion.

And to answer your persons ABC question: I'd go with person C.

Instead of arguing, maybe you could point out some of the major tenets of the Mormon faith. That way I could call you on them, and not be blamed for ignorance of your faith.

Adam

What is spiritual torture?

When our physical bodies are burned severely, or tortured mercilessly, we die, and that's the end of it. Sure, it causes indescribable pain, but once you're dead, the pain stops.

Hell is a different story. When we die, our souls live on, and we enter the supernatural realm. Now, every human, will exist, forever and ever. It just depends on whether it's in heaven, or in hell. To be in hell means that you are literaly DYING FOREVER.

In hell: There will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth." The "fire will never go out." The "worm does not die." (Now I've been taught that this means the body will be consumed by grubs, and exist in a rotting, putrescent condition forever.) There are "gloomy dungeons," and it's a "fiery furnace." And the "smoke of their torment rises forever and ever." (Everything in quotations is directly from the Bible, and I'll be glad to give Scripture refference if anybody asks.)

Now all that sounds horrible enough. But here is one of the worst tortures of all: Those that are in hell will be able to see what's going on in heaven. Just ponder that for a second. While you are being tortured, you will be able to see the glory of heaven, and the perfection that you're missing. (This is backed up in Luke 16)

So, to make a long story short...hell is definetly NOT cool.

Adam

The Inferno Cont3 is talking about was written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It’s an intriguing read, and it gives a good reason for hell, and reconciles the existence of hell with a loving God. I’m still an atheist, but if I was to believe in the Christian religion, this is likely to be the only way I could stomach it.

I refuse to go into the book in depth, because it would spoil it. But don’t be put off by the fact that the authors write science fiction.

Lynn the Packrat

Snark:

ARG:

And, therefore, since you have never read the religious texts or studied the beliefs of LDS or, let’s face it, the majority of religions, you are person A in the scenario and Snark is person C.

And, no, I won’t be posting further in this thread.

Kat:

WOO HOO! HIGH FIVE!!!

(giggling uncontrollably) NAILED HIM!

Stoidela

Yep.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Yes, indeedy!

Sho’ nuff on both counts, suh.

If not, PLEASE stop bashing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
[/quote]

Since I answered yes to all of the above (truthfully!), may I now proceed with bashing?

Stoidela

ARG220 wrote:

Adam, I have only one thing to say to you right now, because I just got back from an all-night drive and am very, very tired:

If you want to learn about the LDS religion, you can go to this site, read up on it, and order a free Book of Mormon:

http://www.lds.org/

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

ARG-- I like your statment above–quoted directly from the bible.

I agree–hell aint cool

“In wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf inside thyself”

AzreaK - you are the doofus because you wouldn’t know sarcasm and wicked humor if it bit you on the nose. You are a former Satanist and I am a former Pentecostal Christian. I for one think that they are both mind-numbing. I am making a great assumption here, but I think I can say that we both feel deprived and deceived by our former faiths. I am not not anti-God, but I am anti-religion in all respects and feel I can poke fun at any of its insipid antics at convincing others to swallow all the crap that is supposedly required of people if they want any kind relationship with God: Hell included.

Snark: If you want to discuss the differences between LDS, and Christianity, then maybe you could start a new thread. I went to that website, and well…it was “interesting.” But, thanks for the link anyway.

And Heath: You were a Pentecostal Christian???? What happened to you? What made you backslide?