McDonald's refill policy in America

Most likely the bottles sold in Canada are made in the U.S. and they just get a different label, which presumably is cheaper to do than to make an entirely different bottle for Canada.

Nothing wrong with the number 591 anyway if you ask me. It’s quite a nice number.

You should sell your second donut to the next guy in line for $0.25.

Possibly, but I’m pretty sure soda used to be sold in quart bottles, prior to the 1970s-era attempts at introducing the metric system. The metric system seems to have taken hold in several beverage-related areas; most liquor is sold in 750mL bottles.

lol! True!

I recall quart bottles of soda at my father’s store when I was a wee lad, but 1-liter and then 2-liter bottles took over in the mid 1970s.

1-liter bottles quickly fell out of favor as they were just not the right size for people to use. It was too much for one person and not enough for two or three people.

I remember when Pepsi started selling its product in 64 fl oz bottles and they were called “The Boss”. This size eventually became a 2-liter bottle and it was always a popular seller. 2 liters is a good size for a family.

You know, in all my life, in the three different places I’ve lived ( :rolleyes: ) I’ve never come across a restaurant that didn’t have free refills. So yesterday when we were discussing in German class about how it works in Germany, we were quite surprised!
But as other people mentioned, it’s dirt cheap for the restaurants to have the soda machines.

To answer the OP’s other question, I know that when I go out with my husband to a fast food place, we only order one small drink, and just share it. It’s not too much of a hassle to refill it every five mins or so. :wink:

Another factor: The most common context in which most Americans will encounter the different fast food soft drink sizes is in “supersizing”, or whatever the chain in question calls it: You can buy a value meal for a certain price with a medium drink and a medium order of fries, or you can pay 39 cents more and get the same burger, but with a large fries and a large drink[sup]*[/sup]. A person might then order the supersize because they want more french fries, and end up with a larger drink as a sort of side effect.

*Of course, they’re usually not called “medium” and “large”. At many fast-food places, the smallest drink size is “medium” or “regular”, scaling up to “large”, “extra-large”, and “supersize” or some such. I’m cutting through the marketing hype and defining the default drink with a combo meal to be “medium”

It’s good to hear Someone is doing something about this problem!

E3

so… am i the only american who, most of the time, doesn’t even bother buying a drink at a fast food restaurant?

I think Carl’s Jr. came up with the self-serve “soda bar” idea. At least I remember them advertising it at a time when the other fast food places still had the soda machine behind the counter.

Perhaps other fast food places only followed suit in the US because Carl’s Jr. didn’t exist internationally (or for that matter, in all of the US).

Well, thats not too far from the truth… :slight_smile:

My store has a huge case filled with quarts of milk. And half-quarts (pints) and two quart packages (half gallons) and four quart packages (gallons). And not just milk, there’s also orange juice, lemonade, blended fruit juices, fake fruit juice punch things and iced teas.

Every McDonald’s around here (suburbs of Minneapolis, MN) has a “soda-fountain island”. You don’t have to go to the counter.

Then again, I do live in a relatively newer area so maybe it has to do with how long the McDonald’s has been there.

I do know Wendy’s doesn’t usually have the soda islands.