Me Da [always] said ...

The weirdest one was, two years after I started having sex, “You know how to use condoms, right?” I guess he really was more modern than Mom.

The best one? All the little bits of advice he gave about taking care of my cr.

Oh, something else my dad says - “A poor ride is better than a proud walk!” Which is true.

Your word is a contract. Always be very, very careful with what you say and with the exact words you choose.

I don’t always get it right, but I try.
Related: always read any contracts you are offered, and any laws they reference.

It’s served me well several times, both with my own contracts and with contracts of friends (I’ve often been the person with the best local-language skills of the team, so I’ve gotten pulled along to read rental contracts or bank account conditions).

I was raised by my grandparents. I called my grandfather “Daddy.”

Daddy told me I could do or be anything I wanted to if I wanted it enough to work for it. He was correct.
Daddy taught me to use tools, because work shouldn’t be expected from someone else if you can’t or won’t do it yourself.
Daddy told me to never lie to yourself. You’ll be less likely to need to lie to anyone else.
Daddy said to always be responsible for your own actions. If you make a mistake, admit it before someone finds it. You’ll feel better and the problem will be fixed quicker and easier.
Daddy believed that the two most powerful phrases in the english language are: “I don’t know.” and “I’m sorry.” No one can know everything, so admit it when you don’t, then do your best to find an answer. Apologizing for your wrong doing has to come from your heart. If you’re wrong, say so; if you aren’t, prove it.
Daddy was a wise man.

“It’s times like this when I wish I’d listened to what my father always used to say.”

“What did he say?”

“I don’t know, I wasn’t listening.”

Regards,
Shodan

On Survivng West Point, and later the Vietnam war:

“Never miss a chance to take a piss, take a nap, or keep your mouth shut.” Applies throughout life, IMO

Also: “Don’t be afraid to take that job. By the time they figure out that you don’t know how to do it, you’ll have figured out how to get it done.”

“Real men don’t wear earrings.”

I have 3.

“You gotta watch out for niggers.”
Yeah, not really as charming as some of these other ones, sorry. And unfortunately, not a joke. On the plus side, we haven’t spoken or seen each other in 20 years.

Not really a saying, but I remember the exact moment I went from child to young adult.

I was about 10 and had started playing travel soccer (competitive/tryouts/etc…). My coach was screaming at me from the sidelines because I had messed up something or other. He was a bit of a shouter anyway. He subbed me out. I came running off of the field, pig tails bouncing, with my eyes full of tears and my arms held out to my Daddy.

He stopped me, knelt down, but did not hug me. He said, basically, “Stop crying. If you want to compete, you need to toughen up. Grow some thick skin.”

He then sent me back to my coach. Later that night we talked about my coach, competition, constructive criticism, and how to let things roll off my shoulders. It was easily one of the best learning moments of my childhood. And as one of three seniors (out of a freshman class of 15) who played all four years of NCAA Div. I, I think it was a great lesson learned.

Wear shirts with pockets that button, so you’ll be less likely to lose your wallet.

Always contribute to your 401K.

You can do anything you want to, you just need to be willing to try hard enough.

From a sign on his office wall: “A failure to plan on your part does not constitue an emergency on my part.” - Be responsible for yourself and your actions.

StG

My dad taught me a bunch of useful stuff (mostly how to fix things), but the only phrase I can remember is, “If the damn thing isn’t broken, don’t fuck with it.”

My dad told me basically the same thing. He said: “You will never regret taking the high road.” That was when I was getting dumped by a total bitch and I felt like being really petty right then.

We were talking about a crime, a murder or rape, IIRC. And Daddy told me that he’d rather pay for my lawyer (if I’d killed or injured someone) than for my funeral. And in turn, I told this to my daughter.

Be punctual. Every boss I’ve ever had has said they admire my punctuality and reliability.

Get your education. This was actually more actions than words. He got his GED in his fifties when I was in elementary school.

Save your money. I came out of 5 months of unemployment not much poorer than when I went in.

Three things I remember telling my kids:

‘I had the right of way’ is not a good epitaph.

‘Be informed or be uniformed’ (talking to my oldest about whether he should go to college or go to work).

‘Every action has a consequence. It’s up to you to decide whether that consequence is pleasant or not.’

When you’ve got a job to do, do it properly and do it thoroughly. It may take more work now, but it’ll save you a lot of trouble and effort in the long run.*

*He didn’t tell me this in words, but in the way he lived his life.

My father taught me how to take care of my car - and that it was my responsibility to do so.
He taught me that trust is easily lost and very hard to regain.

And the one that I always think of when people ask questions like this:

Most people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from other people’s mistakes.

Oh, yes, the 401K one. Always save, even if it’s just a little bit. I cannot comprehend people my age who do not save (I’m 35). I have been saving since I entered the workforce. It’s not a lot but it is constant, and best to start as early as possible.

“When a string gets in a knot, patience can untie it;
Patience can do many things, have you ever tried it?”