Meal kits have a smaller carbon footprint than grocery shopping.

Again, not a scalable, generalizable scenario, much like we’re not going to save the world by running our cars on used fry oil from McDonalds, even if that was something they were thrilled to get rid of at a time.

That’s where it falls apart for me. The real measure would be the carbon footprint of the meal kit vs the meal you would have actually made yourself (or restaurant order or whatever) if you didn’t get the meal kit.

It’s sort of like how CRT TV enthusiasts refute the fact that LED TVs use less electricity by pointing out most upgrades involve a larger HD TV than the CRT it replaces, which ends up using more energy. (Like for me personally, I’d bet money my 46" HD TV uses more power than the old 32" CRT it replaced.)

Unless you have a Plasma HD TV, you’re probably wrong.

Nice, thanks! That alleviates a very minor low-level background guilt I’ve ignored since I got the tv. It’s nice to be able to put it to bed.

Never mind the backyard size - all the people (raises hand) who can’t garden for shit would also be suffering pretty severely.

If there were a nationwide need for the public to grow their own fruits and vegetables, the public could do it. See Victory Gardens from WW2.

Some of us have learned how to compost kitchen waste. It’s been decades since I bought fertilizer.

In this model, your own time is valued at -0-. The sun is free and water is a marginal cost. Make your own fertilizer from compost and your there. Cost of seeds < cost of buying at the store.

Chickens produce methane. They have to go.

Fewer calories will reduce rampant obesity. And if a few million die worldwide because they can’t survive the transition, then so be it. The goal is to reduce carbon emissions.

Are you trying to replace all of your current calories? That’s not feasible. We will need to transition. Flower boxes for those that live in apartments, or shared garden boxes at back.

Well you’ll either adapt or probably become a statistic that doesn’t make it.

Still not a solution that scales up.

It will if it’s mandated.

If what is mandated? Using kitchen scraps to fertilize your backyard garden only works over time if the backyard garden produces a tiny amount of your food and you turn so much of your store bought vegetables into scraps it makes up for the essential chemicals your harvest takes out of the soil.

Mandate composting toilets for everyone, and you can grow a lot more, but I don’t think that’s where you were going.

You can also use landscaping/lawn waste for composting.

And if you remove all the clippings the lawn will need fertilizer. TANSTAAFL

Growing some of your own vegetables is great, composting is great, but in the US population it doesn’t scale up to replace a significant amount of large scale agriculture unless you pretty much have enough land to run a small farm, and we haven’t even gotten into the hours of work you have to put in if you want to have more than a token harvest, how to deal with agricultural pests and other challenges you can brush away if it’s just a small hobby.