Measuring Our Lives on an SF Timescale: What's Already Happened in SF? What's Coming Up Soon?

Just 3 years ago, in 2007, at the tender age of 28, Susan Calvin began her work in Robotics, ultimately leading to the Three Laws of Robotics

Bumped.

Previous similar threads:

I just reread Arthur C. Clarke’s The Fountains of Paradise (1978), about building an orbital elevator up from Taprobane, a fictional equatorial island strongly based on Sri Lanka. He refers to the 2015 discovery by a team of Harvard archeologists of a small shrine in a ruined palace on the island. He also mentions the 2009 “melting of the Thor reactor.”

1980 war against the U.F.O.s

September 13th 1999we lost the Moon.

“If you’re going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.”

Science fiction timeline:

Well, a whole bunch of things happened in the Whoniverse, but since the Doctor subsequently rebooted the universe, they’re all questionable at best.

Later this year, Doc and Marty will arrive from 1985.

Back in 1999, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into his machine–and vanished.

I know I mentioned this in another future dates thread–while Blade Runner is still a few years in the future, Roy Batty’s incept date is coming up next January.

“The Rocket of 1955” by Cyril M. Kornbluth

In 1999 the Volgs invaded Britain, only to be met by Bill Savage and his shotgun. Bloomin’ Ada!

Of course, we know about the events of 2001: a Space Odyssey and 2010: Odyssey Two (or The Year we Make Contact.
The events in Fredric Brown’s The Lights in the Sky are Stars, with his retired astronaut (a novel concept back in the 1950s when he wrote it) took place in 1999-2000.

In the TV series Barney Miller a time traveler warns that a massive amount of platinum? was discovered, causing serious problems with the economy. I forget what year that was supposed to happen.

Here’s the 1980 episode, “The Child Stealers.” I’m not enough of a fan to watch it all the way through to find that reference (no script online that I could see), but maybe someone else would like to: - YouTube

I’ve got nothing goin’ on…

First, he tells Harris that a huge deposit of gold is discovered in Canada in 1981 and that the price plummets back to $35/oz. Later he tells him that gold is replaced by zinc in 1984! (Your linked clip got removed, these have a hazy lens flare over them for some reason but are watchable). I just happen to have seen this episode recently. BTW, the episode takes place in January 1980.

[Trek Nerd]

This was the accepted canon for TOS, but by DS9 they had sort of retconned the Eugenics War and World War III into one conflict that happended later than the 90s. In fact ST:FC states that first contact takes place in 2060 something while Earth is still recovering from WWIII…

I enjoyed To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer and I would have absolutely sworn that gave the end of life on Earth as 1999. My recollection being aliens arrived 1999 and soon after a war ended everything. Until people were resurrected on Riverworld.

However I haven’t read the book for decades, checked on Wikipedia ( Riverworld - Wikipedia ) and that gives two dates. So apparently: Initially the end of life on Earth was 1983 later modified to 2008. Either way, the time has passed.

TCMF-2L

I was watching the 1980 TV miniseries of The Martian Chronicles this morning. The first, doomed, manned flights go to Mars in 1999 and colonization begins by 2001 after most of the pesky Martians die of chicken pox. The Earth goes boom! in 2006 while Darrin McGavin watches via a telescope, leaving him and a small number of other humans surviving on Mars.

Also, some time between 2001 and 2007, Barry Morse has the technological capability to create very convincing if somewhat dim-witted android replicas of his deceased wife and daughter.

According to Fringe, the Purge should be starting any time now.

Pencil it in for April 5, 2063: Phoenix | Memory Alpha | Fandom

I can’t find the London Kings baseball schedule anywhere, but they’re supposed to be playing this year: London Kings | Memory Alpha | Fandom

In 3001 he moves all the dates around, but still not enough to be right.
And the Overlords arrived at the Earth in 1975 according to Childhood’s End, just before the launching of the first moon rocket.