medical question - blood alcohol result

The fact that he doesn’t have a hangover now means that his body is accustomed to dealing with massive quantities of alcohol. Sorry to say, but this seems like one more indication that he’s a closet alcoholic.

That you’re a recovering alcoholic yourself probably makes it more likely that he would conceal this from you. Keep offering him your help and friendship.

Of course he doesn’t have a hangover now, it’s almost two years later. That would be one hell of a hangover.

No it doesn’t help. Around here we demand proof. Everything I have seen says that ketoacidosis can throw off a breath test. Often the results are so far off its obvious there is something wrong. I have seen nothing to suggest that a blood test such as is given at a hospital will have a false reading. The blood test looks for ethyl alcohol only. It is not effected like a breath test is. So, cite?

I’m so glad I found this, did you ever find out what it was? I took my husband to the ER last night, he was so sick and they said his blood alcohol was 4% over the legal limit but he didn’t drink. I’m so worried what might be wrong with him.

Are you absolutely sure he didn’t drink?

There is a very rare condition: Auto-Brewery Syndrome

Absolutely sure. That is something I found and we’ll look into.

Do you mean 4% over the limit or .4% BAC because they mean vastly different things.

That article cites one case that was not verified scientifically and rumors of other cases. One case does not a syndrome make. If I read it correctly it supposedly requires exposure to Brewers yeast and antibiotic use to keep the body from processing the yeast. The one case was a frequent home brewer. The Occams Razor answer remains, years later, a closeted alcoholic.

4x sorry.