Medics carrying weapons in WWII? And what happened to Jewish soldiers captured by Germans?

Looting soldiers is.

Cite?

Yes, but taking a weapon is not looting. You can’t take their identification, wedding rings, personal property, protective equipment (like gas mask and helmet), religious stuff, or anything like that. But you can take any military equipment like weapons, explosives, maps, radios, documents which are military in nature, and the like.
You specifically cannot take anything that would signify disrespect to the dead (like an ear, or finger…).

Taking pistols and ammo is not looting and is not a war crime. There will be military policy which dictates what a soldier can do with the item. For instance, soldiers in the modern us military are not allowed to keep firearms they find or collect from the enemy. They must be turned in to the company. If the soldier violates this rule, he commits a local crime but not an international war crime.

Soldiers in the modern us military are allowed to keep bayonets and knives and such though. We just have to fill out some forms and get a memo, and then it’s fine to keep it.

Ivan Denisovich.

Also, is there any information about what would happen to a known American Communist captured by the Nazis? Say they found a copy of the Communist Manifesto in his rucksack.

You are 100% correct, and apparently the 2nd person to point out my gaffe—I of course recogonized my skull-fuck within a few min. after posting, when it was too late (naturally) to fix. For the record, I have read ADITLOID several times, (a very engrossing novel, to be in such a dehumanizing situation, thru no fault of your own, and then accept it and attempt to make the best of it) and I cannot believe I mis-identified it for the whole world to see.

On the armed medic point, my Dad was an RAF doctor during the Burma campaign in 1944 and he has told me that during the siege of Imphalnobody was a non-combatant. All units, including medical units, were expected to man their defensive perimeters during the night - the Japanese were constantly infiltrating and raiding.

One story he has told me was that part of his job was to visit outlying units - hilltop radar stations etc - each day and he always carried a sten gun in the ambulance. I suspect the thinking was the Japanese were unlikely to take much notice of a red cross.

Are medics required to treat the enemy as well? I gather that they will and it makes sense in certain circumstances, but is it a regulation?

Thanks,
Rob

ISTR it is required under the Geneva Conventions. You must treat POWs as you treat your own soldiers - no better and no worse.

Oh, the Japanese took notice all right; they knew how protective the soldiers were of their combat medics and so made them priority targets, fully aware that the Americans/Brits would then attempt to make a rescue, thereby offering easy pickings when the rescuers were occupied giving aid.

Flags Of Our Fathers talks about this at length.

What good is the Geneva Convention when the only people who seem to obey it are all allied together? In the past 60 years, has anyone that a Western military fought ever obeyed the Geneva Convention?

Well, even though it was in WWII, the Germans were punctilious about following the Conventions.

I also think both sides in the Falklands played by the rules.

Punctilious? Hardly.

MoreGerman punctiliousness:

And here:

I visited the USAF Museum in Dayton this weekend (definitely worth a visit), and there was an exhibit on Army Air Forces personnel taken prisoner by the Germans during World War II. The exhibit signage said that “some” Jewish AAF members were taken from their non-Jewish comrades and sent to concentration camps. At least one is known to have been executed at Dachau. An unknown number were sent to Mauthausen and Buchenwald, where some (again, no specifics) were executed, but others survived the war.

A German dressed in a U.S. Army uniform and acting covertly like this wold not be covered under the Geneva convention as a prisoner of war I’m pretty sure. I believe he’d be treated as a spy and executed which is what happened.

This is just one story, but the father of a friend fought in France. America dog tags at the time carried an identification letter so dead soldiers could get last rites. Not sure if it was a J or an H, but in any event he and his Jewish buddies bashed off the letter with rocks before they were captured…which was pretty much a giveaway. In any event they found that they were treated the same as other American prisoners.

Also, Iraq was a party to Geneva during both wars with the US, as was Iran during the Iran-Iraq War.

I used to think this was true, but really, how would anyone know? Was the red cross visiting POW camps to see how prisoners were being treated? If someone ‘disappeared’ from a POW camp the commandant could say they tried to escape and were shot. How would anyone know the truth?

The Red Cross could see signs of physical abuse, and could examine and talk to the prisoners.

PSh, the holster for my P.08 still has teh remnants of the white medical tape with my dad’s name on it from where he checked it into the armory on the Queen Mary on his return trip to the US prior to being shipped off to the west coast to train up for the Japanese invasion force [that got more or less cancelled with the surrender]

If looting sidearms was against the UCMJ, he wouldn’t have checked it into the armory because it was patently a German issue sidearm [the name of the issuee is written on the inside of the holster of that, and the Sauer 38H that he also checked into the armory for the trip back over] and would have gotten he and whomever else checked in weapons of German or Italian origin.