Melting down pennies

Yep. I’ve still got some pennies and a nickel that I flattened on a railroad track as a kid.

My kids love to look at them.

Yikes - when my wife worked in a retail establishment with a high cash turnover, the staff were allowed to fish the American coins out of the till and exchange them with Canadian. So we’d travel there and back with large bags (dollars and dollars) of US coinage when we visited the USA - handy for toll booths and overpriced hotel vending machines. Fortunately, most were not nickels. (I remember the Vegas panhandler’s face dropped when I gave him a large handful of dimes - since I guess it’s the only coin you can’t use in slot machines… )

I guess the problem with any such smelting operation is volume. If you need tens of thousands of dollars of specific (sorry) raw material to make a decent profit, it will be hard to remain unnoticed.

Nothing came of all that ‘ghost in the machine’ talk, then. :wink:

My cousins, who lived near a railroad, tried this when I was visiting them. We were solemnly assured that doing so would cause the train to derail. It never occurred to us to question how a 0.08 ounce coin could so destabilize a 200 ton locomotive.

There were dime slots back in the day; the club I worked for had a handful. I hated them because the damn dimes were so light weight it was a pain in the ass hitting that sweet spot in adjusting the acceptor between rejecting good coins and accepting bad ones.

Ditto for penny slots but we had none of those. Nowadays with everything being cash register tapes and even some gaming machines where you can choose the denomination they skip over 10-cents, going from 5 to 25.

A piece of trivia: Coin roll holders and trays are color coded by denomination, red for pennies, blue for nickels, green for dimes, orange for quarters, and yellow for half-dollars. The light on top of the machine for calling for change or indicating a fault were white and another color. Once the other color was the same color as the denomination but that went by the boards decades ago. Now most of them are blue.