memorable and notorious happenings in live broadcasts

One from a recent flood (not from Katrina but one on the Upper Eastern Seaboard): a news anchor is talking to the today show, adrift in a canoe.

While Live, two relief workers (obviously on purpose) WALK between the camera and the canoe, showing that she was floating in a foot of water! Hilarious.

Matt and Katie said something funny about walking on water…

Earl Weaver, manager of the Baltimore Orioles, once gave a profanity-laced “Manager’s Corner” interview with a local radio station:

DJ: Bill from Frederick wants to know why the Orioles don’t get some more team speed?

Earl Weaver: Team speed for Crissakes? You get fuckin’ goddamned little fleas on the fuckin’ bases, getting picked off trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you. Get some big cocksuckers that can hit the fuckin’ ball out of the ballpark and you can’t make any goddamn mistakes!

DJ: :eek: Well, certainly this show is going to go down in history, Earl. Terry Elliot of Washington DC wants to know why you don’t use Terry Crowley as a designated hitter all the time?

Earl Weaver: Terry Crowley’s lucky he’s in fuckin’ baseball for Crissakes! He was released by the Cincinnati Reds, he was released by the fuckin’ goddamn Atlanta Braves, we thought if Terry Crowley could sit on his fuckin’ ass for 8 innings and enjoy watching the baseball game just like any other fan, and has the ability to get up there and break one open in the fuckin’ 9th. So if this cocksucker would mind his own business and let me manage the fuckin’ team, we’d be a lot better off.

DJ: Well, certainly you’ve made your opinions known on the fans on baseball, Earl, but let’s get to something else! Alice Sweet from Norfolk wants to know the best time to put in her tomato plants.

Earl Weaver: Alice Sweet should be worried about where the fuck her next lay is coming from rahter than where her next goddamn tomato plant is coming from. If she’d get her ass out to fuckin’ bars at night and go hustling around the goddamn streets, she might get a prick stuck in her once in a while. I don’t understand where these questions are coming from. That’s about it for Manager’s Corner. Go fuck yourself and the [unintelligible] coming up next on the Baltimore Orioles baseball fucking network.

Jessica Savitch was an up-and-coming anchor for NBC back in the early 80s. During one memorable “update” she was obviously slurring her words, making her very difficult to understand.

She later blamed her screw up on cold medicine, but she later died in a car accident, I believe, and there was some question whether she’d been under the influence or not.

Wiki article on Jessica Savitch

I got a few things wrong. I didn’t know one of her boyfriends beat her.

There were rumors at the time that she had a cocaine problem. You can see about half the Newsbreak here (http://www.roadode.com/realram/jsavitch.ram for Real Player or http://www.roadode.com/wvx/jsavitch.wvx for Windows Media Player) - there’s about 20 seconds of it.

Three weeks after the Newsbreak incident, the car she was riding in overturned into a canal and she, her date (who was driving) and her dog were all trapped in the car and drowned.

She had a tragic life, really - her father died when she was just a kid, she was involved for a long time in a physically abusive relationship with another news reporter, her second husband hung himself in the basement of their townhouse, she saw her career basically go down the toilet in all of 43 seconds, and then she was killed in a freak accident. :frowning:

Its hard for me to believe that what people saw on that broadcast was Carson actually expressing his anger, even if he was angry. I mean, he’s clearly got the self-control and the chops to be a great comedian and talk show host. The moment wasn’t completely spontaneous–he had to grab a camera guy and take a walk to another set. It was a staged moment, even if it was a pretty off-the-cuff staged moment. It wasn’t like Rickles was already just sitting there and Carson was reacting to his presence. The scene was created for comedic effect, surely. It was a stunt, concieved and executed as such by a very clever fellow.

But then, I wasn’t there and I didn’t see it.

Is it on tape anywhere?

-FrL-

I saw it not when Carson died and they were playing “best of” moments everywhere. It sure didn’t look staged - the cameraman was there filming Carson for his show anyway, and the studio Rickles was taping in was only down a hallway, not across a lot or anything. The look on Rickles’ face as Carson walked in was priceless - he, at least, wasn’t in on any planning.

It used to be on the web, here.

:smack:
I saw it not originally, but when Carson died…
[/QUOTE]

Oh dear.

It was probably I’ve Got a Secret, which Sherman created and produced.

As for why it hasn’t been seen again, it’s possible that it occured on a episode with a cigarette sponsor, which GSN doesn’t rerun.

My addition: I’ve seen a clip somewhere of a NYC news reporter giving the bird on camera, and the anchor (Roger Grimsby?) ad-libbing something like “She agrees, we’re number one”. I’ll see if I can find it.

Geesh - makes this one look so goofy by comparison. :smiley:

The day of the Oklahoma City bombing: When we’d heard about it at work, we all crowded into the break room to watch live coverage on the local news.

The local newscast was on and the anchor was on camera talking with a reporter out in the field. It was by phone, so they had just flashed a photo of the field reporter up on the right-hand side of the screen.

Supposedly, the news station had been covering non-stop since they got word of the bombing, and I can only guess that the anchor had to throw down something for lunch pretty fast, because she burped on-camera while the field reporter was talking to her by phone. :smiley:

It wasn’t one of those purposeful burps - it looked like it just escaped her before she could stop it.

They cut to another anchor pretty quick and they didn’t show her again for a while.

Found it.

(It’s in the clip labeled “Roger Gromsby Tribute”)

That’s not what I meant – I meant that it hadn’t, to my knowledge, showed up on any “blooper” reels. Possibly it was never recorded, or the recording was lost.

During the 9/11 coverage, the studio threw it out to Jamie McInteyre’s report at the Pentagon. It was a report filed earlier in the day and was used to recap the developments.

Aaron Brown, who was new to the network, started asking “McIntyre” a question after the segment only to visually realize that the piece was recorded.

It made me laugh in an otherwise horrible week.

Heh. Almost as funny as Al Roker getting blown off his feet (in the same hurricane, I think) with a camera crew guy holding on to his ankles.

I saw a clip recently of a poor guy on some local news show who is obviously very nervous and uncomfortable being interviewed, and actually throws up onto the news desk!

:confused: Are you sure about this?

I used to watch Black and White Overnight religiously (now I’m rarely up for it), and I’m positive I’ve seen episodes of IGAS where a) there was a cigarette ad on the front of the presenter/contestant’s desk, and b) they gave the contestant a carton of cigs as a going away gift.

I heard this clip get played once, and it was the funniest thing ever. Earl Weaver was just screaming.

Here it is.

Actually, this version is best.