Menstruation and Electricity.

And another Ahem. Despite my lifelong addiction to allopathic medicine, I would like to report that for immediate short-lived relief of a particular pang, acupressure can be quite effective.

Here’s how it was explained to me before I knew words like “sacral foramina”. Feel your lower back as it morphs down into your butt. You will feel an upside-down arrowhead of bone (the sacrum as it joins the pelvis). Feel along the outside of this arrowhead. At its edges, during a period cramp, you will find five to six spots that are sort of sore to the touch, and yet they really REALLY want to be pressed with fingertip pressure. In fact you may run out of hands to press them, and have to resort to your dad.

While you are pressing them, you get a temporary about 50% decrease in the pain.

Let up every now and then, massage the spot where you were pressing lightly, and press again.

The main problem with acupressure is it’s so very temporary. Ibies work much better on a longterm basis. But acupressure has two very helpful benefits. One, while you’re waiting for the antiprostaglandins to work, it gives you some immediate relief. Two, and this can be very important to a teenaged girl, it turns you from a passive victim of pain into an active intervener in your own health. It gives you something you can do, in other words. Something you can in the most literal manner take into your own hands.

I want Whynot to come in here and see me being all alternative medicine-y.

Meanwhile, for me, Advil did little while Aleve was a freaking wonder drug, especially when combined with oral contraceptives - it took a while to find the proper version of the latter, however.

I’m reaffirming that she really ought to see a gynecologist, just in case. You don’t have to present the “Something Could Be Wrong” aspect that much, just that the doctor could do a checkup, give info about which meds are safest/best, etc. (If she’s like most teenage girls, I think a female gyno would be be more comfortable for her to deal with.)

Hey, Cartooniverse - how’s this for a nutcase idea that will probably do no harm and just might help - attach the TENS unit across her sacrum for the acupressure points??

Acuelectric pressure! You could make millions! Marketing it to teenaged girls everywhere!

If it works, that is.

For me as a teenager I had horrible, awful, throwing up, sweating and fainting period pain from 11 until I had my first kid at 28. I was told at age 12 that it would get better after I had a baby. Great advice…

For me, hot baths (heating pads, then!) helped. The pill which I went on the second I hit 16, did not, no matter what brand I tried. That was a huge disappointment.

In college a doctor gave me Loxonin and that really, really does help. I still use it now, as about every third month or so it still gets bad but not to the point that it did as a kid.

And a friend in college taught me that an orgasm will SERIOUSLY reduce the pain for about 20 minutes or more. But I am not sure how you are going to tell your daughter that…

However, all the orgasms and painkillers seem to have fried my brain - not that it matters but I was THIRTY when I had my first child. (I think. I’m confused now…)

Oh, and just to second Ferret Herder is right - people respond very differently to the different NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). What works for me doesn’t work for my husband necessarily.

And he has low back pain, like you, Cartooniverse, so I suspect you’re already well versed in the variability of human response to antiprostaglandins.

Although you probably haven’t experienced the variability of human response to birth control pills. Dropped my periods from a menorrhagic 6 days to a freaking Moon Maiden two - and cut out nearly all the pain. But it did take some trial and error to find the right ones for me. A young teenaged girl may not want to be on birth control because of the, well, birth control implications.

Meanwhile, all you antiprostaglandin users: Antacids and water before you chock 'em down, or a full stomach. I’m not kidding. I’ve seen the gastritis. Touched it, too.

I second that! Tell your daughter that taking the pills before her period starts is the best way to prevent the agony.

“Agony” is not hyperbole. Cramps are horribly painful. They are not in your daughter’s head. I remember lying in the maternity ward in unmedicated second stage labor trying to push out a ten-pound baby and thinking, “These contractions are bad, really bad, but they’re not as painful as some of the menstrual cramps I’ve had.”

One more thing, take your daughter to a sympathetic woman gyno. Cramps can be a symptom of endometriosis, a disease that could affect her fertility. http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/endoinfo.html

Ditto on taking your daughter to the gyno. Try to find one who specializes in young women’s health. When I finally asked for help, oral contraceptives (which make my other doctors go :dubious: , since it’s in my chart that I’m a lesbian, but the hell with them) and prescription strength naprosyn started a couple of days before my period starts and wow! I had no idea. Sometimes I even **forget ** that I’m on my period now. It takes months now to go through a package of pads, instead of 1 week. Oh, and my iron levels are normal, so no more iron supplements.
TMI:

I couldn’t use tampons because they just acted like a plug, and removing one inevitably led to a gusher. I stuck (heh) with pads. Now I can get away with pantiliners.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Bladder 31-35, Baby! Good points. Here’s an illustrated guide to accupressure for menstrual problems.

One that I’d also recommend is Spleen 6. While menstrual cramps can be due to a number of things in Traditional Chinese Medicine, it’s a good bet that as a young teen, she could use some stimulation of Spleen 6 anyway, and it’s part of the treatment for two of the five conditions that are associated with menstrual pain. It’s a spot a lot of us unconsciously manipulate when sitting “Indian style”. Spleen 6 is the bottom point on this diagram Usually, if you have her grab her leg so that the bottom joint of her little finger is just above the bumpy bit of her ankle, then there will be a slightly sore spot just above the bottom knuckle of her index finger. There may even be a physical depression in that spot. Gently press the spot and hold it for up to 20 minutes. She can do both legs at once if she wants.

Also make sure she’s getting enough magnesium and calcium (both required for muscle contraction/relaxation cycles) and B-vitamins. Teen girls are pretty well known for crappy diets - this is one reason why it’s important to eat well.

I get massive relief if my husband grabs my butt in both hands and hoists it, as if he were trying to slide it up my back. Unfortunately, this is impractical as a long-term solution.

Those stick-on heating pads are a godsend. I get horrible cramps the first two days of my period, and those things can really kill the pain in a major way. I also noticed that my cramps became a bit less severe after I switched to a DivaCup, although I have no idea why.

Give her some fudge, hot chocolate, and a hug; it’s wonderful for her to have a dad that’ll watch her back as she goes through this messy puberty business.

One thing no one has mentioned yet…

Does your daughter ever complain of being bloated? For years, I used to confuse my misery from The Bloat with my misery from The Cramps, but they’re actually different kinds of pain.

I really can’t afford to have mentrual problems, so I have a regiment. The moment I know my period is about to start, I start taking ibuprofen. I don’t care if it’s the day before the blood breaks through, or a whole week before. I take two of those babies before I go to bed (with milk, gabriela :slight_smile: ). I continue until the third day of my period (after the third day, I rarely feel pain).

To ward against bloating, I try to stay away from salty foods right before my period, which is hard because that’s when I have my cravings. I also keep cans of ginger ale on reserve to diffuse The Bloat if it comes. Feet massages also helps.

I second the heating pad/ hot water bottle idea, as well as the Aleve. I’ve also tried some of the accupressure techniques, I believe there’s one on the webbing between your big toe and your first toe, even though curling into a position where you can grab your own toes can be slightly excrutiating in and of itself.
I’ve been lucky enough to never have really horrible cramps except sporadically.

Good luck to you and her both.

-foxy

TENS is used to ease uterine cramps…usually for women in labour though!

The following is not to be construed as medical advice:

Aspirin is an absolute no-no. Not only is your daughter under 16 and so still at theoretical risk of Reyes syndrome, it can give wicked gastritis and it is also an anti-platelet agent and thus can make periods heavier.

Ibuprofen and Naproxen (Advil and Aleve) work wonders for some people. They should NOT be used by people with a history of asthma. I can take Ibuprofen for example, but Naproxen makes me wheeze within about 30 minutes.

Paracetamol (Acetominophen for those across the Atlantic) is good- it can be combined with Ibuprofen if necessary. Max dose paracetamol is 4grams per 24 hour period, otherwise you risk liver and kidney damage.

Most medical books will recommend “gentle exercise” to help relieve pain- they mean some light stretching or a couple of yoga positions (no inverted positions) not a walk around the block, a workout video or jogging up the stairs!

Massage, heat pads, hot baths, fluffy dressing gowns, chocolate, things to take her mind off it- all good.

Teen periods are the worst- irregular cycles and anovulatory cycles mean that periods can be all over the place, very heavy and sometimes painful.

I’ve just looked up Midol- we don’t have it here. If she isn’t complaining of bloating or puffiness I think the diuretics are overkill (and running to the lavatory when you have you period is not something you want to happen more frequently anyway).

I write this as I sit at home and wait to hear if I’ve got kidney stones or not- I was woken up last night by a colicky pain in my side. Now, for me, this pain was enough to wake me, but nowhere near as bad as my period pain. My GP thinks it sounds a lot like renal colic.

This worries me, because I’ve always believed (and been told by several patients) that renal colic is awful, and if I think kidney stones is bearable compared to my period pain…well, you get an idea of why my personal period pain regime (prescribed by my doctor) involves Paracetamol, Diclofenac (I switched from Ibuprofen because it was doing almost nothing) and Codeine. I’m taking half the quantity of Diclofenac (Voltarol) I normally take for period pain, and that is holding this current pain in check. Here’s hoping it’s not kidney stones!

Sorry to ramble, but my point is, for some of us popping an Advil or Midol just doesn’t cut it, and the pain requires prescription painkillers. This is not about low pain thresholds, wimping out or failing to “suck it up”. It’s because for some of us our period pain is worse than any other pain. If after all of these suggestions your daughter is still miserable get her to a doctor.

Teen formula Midol does not have caffine.

Er, they also have a formula that doesn’t have the diuretic, irishgirl. I didn’t recall that.

You might as well save your money and drink a cup of coffee to wash down a couple of generic Acetominophen! :slight_smile:

I don’t really have much period pain anymore, but my older daughter does. Not “can’t stand up straight” horrible, but pretty bad for about a day and a half. She’s had really good luck with those stick-on heat pads, because she can wear them wherever she goes, and they do help quite a bit. She also uses Excedrin, partly because she also gets (sometimes) period related migraine episodes. So, two birds with one stone.

I’d definitely second whoever wondered if it could be tampons that are contributing to this, especially if it’s a new thing. At least it’s something to think about, and definitely make sure that if she does use them she only uses the least absorbency she can.

Hot drinks are good, even if only for the comfort factor. And a little extra sleep won’t hurt, if you can get her to do it.

Hi ! Oh god this is great stuff, thanks to all of you !! I’m posting quickly at work in the studio, so I cannot write as much I wish.

She’s not been to a gyno yet, likely will very soon.

Never talked about any Bloating per se.

Wife used boiling water and Glenfiddich for many, many years. She wants to give some to daughter. I first resisted ( a 14 year old, drunk on hot scotch?? ) --BUT it is a very effective tool. I dont’ know if they went for that, I’ve been doing long hours out of the house in the last few days.

gabriela, SacrumElectric/Xyphoid ( S.E.X. ) stimulii? Brilliant !! -snerk-

Seriously- I’ll look into that. I do think that safely used a tens might help. And, be slightly healthier than the aforementioned Glenfiddich approach. :smiley:

More later !!

Hi. I’m back. So far, she only uses pads. She tried a tampon last summer, to go swimming during That Wretched Time, and hated it universally. So, I know she only uses external absorption for now.

Tries tens unit for cramps - kinda works if you place one electrode on stomach and the other on the back, I have had bad cramps all my life I’m 37 Argh!!. Cut down on salt intake the week before even days before. But the best thing that really works is a muscle relaxer drug called flexeril (might be off on spelling) but its prescription. All cramps go! But I notice period is
Heavy but shorter - with me from 5 days to 3.5.