Metal Fans

You do realize this is exactly what your parents said about Iron Maiden, Manowar, Metal Church, etc., right?

Yep, and what their parents said about Elvis, the Beatles, etc…

But I grew up in the 80’s, so I tend to like bands that have the melodic power metal sound of that era more than the faster stuff of today.

Me too. I listen to some stations that play some of the newer stuff which my brain translates half of it into a song called “SCREAM METAL…” which is all the same song in my head and mostly all garbage. I don’t expect to hear a Frank Sinatra influence in them but damn, I have no idea how you sort the good from the bad with those when they don’t actually sing and play no recognizable instruments.

You gotta wonder where this is going to end. If the young angry people of every generation listen to faster and heavier music than the last, well, there’s a limit to how fast an instrument can be played. And I’m pretty sure some of the stuff the kids are into now is at that limit.

Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir
Slipknot
Mushroomhead
Dark Fortress
Slayer
Coal Chamber
Mudvayne

I call it “vomit rock”. If you try to sing while you’re vomiting, that’s the sound that comes out.

I invented that description, and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Body Count, Body mutha-f&ckin Count!
**Accept
Motorhead
Suicidal Tendencies
Iron Maiden
Napalm Death
Stuck Mojo
Megadeth
Carnivore
Nazareth **(yeah, we’re oldschool around here)
Pantera
Strapping Young Lad
High On Fire
Sepultra
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
TSOL
Disturbed
Iced Earth
Carcass
Melvins

Dude, Epica is Dutch. I picked up one of their CDs when I was Amsterdam just to have some Dutch metal.

I’ve got a ton of metal but most of it has already been mentioned. Favorites would be Maiden, Priest who’s last two albums are great, Motorhead who’s latest is great, Savatage, Virgin Steele.

Other’s I like but don’t listen to much any more, Accept, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Iron Saviour, Rage, some Iced Earth, Bruce Dickinson, Anthrax, Armored Saint, Nightwish, Primal Fear.

Then there are the ones that are hair metal Twisted Sister, Dokken, Krokus, Europe who’s last two albums are pretty good.

There are plenty more too, just tired of going through my iPod.

Me too, my favourites:

Queensryche

Iron Maiden

Metallica

Skid Row

Black Sabbath/Ozzy/Dio

Dream Theatre

Non Metal:

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

Tin
Beryllium
Titanium
Platinum
Sodium
Magnesium
Anodized aluminum

Sodium, magnesium and aluminium aren’t that heavy.

Now lead, gold or platinum are fairly heavy, but you need to go transuranic for the good stuff.

Transuranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is life.

Bonus points if anyone gets this

Neither are beryllium or titanium, actually.

Ah, but the thread title only specified metal! If you want heavy metal, then I’ll cast my vote for lead, zin, cadmium, bismuth, and all that transuranic goodness that you mentioned.

Old school, symphonic rock, power metal:

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Rush
Within Temptation
Helloween
Brother Firetribe

Those are the ones I can think of offhand.

All of it. \m/
Recently, I’ve been getting into, I don’t know what you call it - Atmospheric Metal?
Mastodon
Pelican
Cult of Luna
Isis

Can anyone recommend any good bands along these lines? I prefer the ones with some singing, at least.

Neurosis was the first, and is still one of the best.

Tanzwut! They incorporate bagpipes into their music. Some of their more recent material seems to have industrial leanings.

no love for Lead? :frowning:

There is a very classic band called Lead Blimp or something like that but I wouldn’t really consider them metal.

Others that haven’t been mentioned yet:

The Haunted
Pig Destroyer
Lamb of God
Sepultura/Nailbomb/Soulfly/Cavelara Conspiracy
Opeth
Dark Tranquility
Dissection
Three Inches of Blood
Meshugga
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse