Michael Jordan "cut" from his high school team. Myth?

? Because you cross “home” plate? That’s a really bad analogy.

I agree. There are obviously two different meanings of the word. I never knew that. Ignorance fought.

Not in my book. The varsity team is the premier one for the school, whether high school, college, or university. There may be other teams of less experienced (junior classmen) players, or, in my HS days, of a different sex, who could never be on the varsity.

No; that’s not correct IMO. A player is cut by a team, not from a team, if the player is not on the roster. And what the player is cut from is tryouts for the team, not from the team itself.

Words have meanings and they matter.

Are you sure that’s the example you want to go with to try and illustrate your point here? :dubious:

No, this is is still wrong. People potentially a part of a group are still not part of the group. They are a part of another group: the people trying to be part of the first group. They can be cut from that group, but can’t be cut from a group they were not a part of.

This isn’t about colloquialism(s); it’s about using words correctly.

I don’t doubt that Jordan was cut from his team. It explains his psychotic-level of competitiveness that are matched by a handful of athletes I’ve ever followed. Yes, athletes like Jordan are talented, but it’s their mental makeup that sets them apart. They simply hate losing. It destroys them. They do everything possible to avoid losing. They take the last shot - they insist on it. They control the ball, not because they want stats but because they trust only themselves to care as much about winning as they do. One of Phil Jackson’s greatest achievements was getting Michael Jordan (and later Kobe Bryant) to trust their teammates almost as much as they trusted themselves.

So in your world no one can ever have their scenes cut from a movie(at release)? Since they aren’t in the movie they can’t have been cut from it unless there is a trimmed later version without them?
That’s using the word wrong.

Is it a movie about not making a sports team?

So all those guys who went to the open tryouts in the movie “Invincible” and didn’t get selected to go to training camp can say they were cut from the Eagles?

So, in your world, let’s say you were one of 50 people auditioning for a part, but you didn’t get the role and were never even on camera. Would nevertheless be accurate for you to go around complaining that your ‘scenes were cut from the movie’ after it was released?

Yup.

I’d love to be able to say I was cut by the Steelers, but they wont even let me on the field to try out. However, If they had open tryouts, and told me to go home after I participated in one drill, then the next year some other team scoops me up because of my undeniable superior athletic abilities (/eyeroll) the 30 for 30 about my career would say I was cut by the Steelers.

I would say one would need to participate in at least one practice/scrimmage/work out, etc. wearing a team-provided jersey before saying you have been “cut” by the team.

If you had no scenes your scene weren’t cut. But you were cut from the cast of the movie.

Whether you realize it or not, you basically described Johnny Unitas.

I appreciate and agree with your post, but I don’t actually think the “cut” explains his competitiveness as much as it is indicative of it. As I said upthread, any typical 10th grader (especially one who is less than 6’ and who can’t yet dunk) would be more than happy to start (and star) for the JV, with the understanding that they are headed to the Varsity once they are a Junior. And if they lose out on the last Varsity roster spot to a friend who is 15 years old and already 6’7", well, it makes sense. Ultimately, it’s the spot on the team for garbage time, when the coaches want somebody to do basketball grunt work - fill the paint, contest shots, and grab rebounds. That’s perfect for the really tall kid.

But for Jordan, this was a slight. It stung so bad it sent him to his room crying. In his mind, he was always the best player on the planet. The fact that his body, or his athletic skills, didn’t yet reflect it didn’t diminish his own appraisal of himself (and, in fairness, he played well enough at the JV level that he probably could have done well as a Varsity sophomore).

I think it’s an interesting commentary on success: Jordan believed in himself long before it was apparent how good he was to others. And he apparently sought out doubters to fuel his motivation.

I agree with this an am likewise astounded that others have a different definition of “cut”. It clearly explains the “yes he was cut, no he wasn’t cut” arguments .

I don’t understand how the alternative definition of “cut” works. A player makes the team and is then thrown off the team? I wouldn’t think that would happen unless there was misconduct of some sort.

But you were never part of the cast so you can’t be cut from it. You may have been cut from the auditions, but not from the cast. It can also be said that you didn’t make the cut for the cast, but still you were not cut from the cast.

I don’t really have a problem with the usage but don’t try and suggest it has some universal logic, it doesn’t.

To be “cut” I think you have to first be on the team, and *then *subsequently cut.
It’s the difference between not being hired for a job, and being hired but then subsequently laid off.

We are talking about he difference between:

Cut from the team
and
Cut from tryouts for the team

Its my argument that these are commonly understood to be the same thing. To me it’s like saying that someone who got an annulment, can’t say they are “no longer married” because they were never married in the first place. Technically correct in a very pedantic way… but it’s a distinction without a difference.

In what scenario does a high school player make the varsity team and then get cut? I’ve never seen a player removed from a team except for misconduct.

Where I coached(track/cross-country) the football, baseball and basketball teams all had a few preseason games.

I could see having a Varsity team bigger than allowed in-season to evaluate borderline players under actual competition.

If a player plays exceptionally poorly (i.e., misses most of his field goals, etc.) for an extended period of time I imagine he could be dropped from the roster.
Disclaimer: I have never played high school sports.