Michelangelo Antonioni. RIP.

In these funeral threads, we allow disagreement over an artist’s contributions–so you certainly don’t have to fawn over him or her–but there’s a limit to how you express that disagreement. Specifically, this isn’t the Pit, so a little decorum should be employed. Since you’ve already [post=8806460]been advised[/post] that Cafe Society isn’t the Pit, we expect you to ratchet it back a bit, please.

The movie poster, the DVD cover, everywhere but the film itself! Same with the movie MASH — the asterisks appear on the movie poster, but not on the movie title.

[QUOTE=delphica]

Personally, I think his best is L’Avventura. Visually, it is a masterpiece. Film has never looked so good. You could probably watch it with the sound off and enjoy it just as much. QUOTE]
I managed to miss that one, but the ones I did see “Blowup” “Zabriskie Point” and “The Passenger” I wished I had turned the sound off.

If “cinephile” means “a person who love movies” as I think it does not all cinephiles are mourning their passing. Sorry they are both dead, glad they are not wasting any more film.

Antonioni was the third international director to die recently and so his death ends the string of three. Edward Yang was first and then Bergman.

You have no obligation to love their movies, but if you think 2 of the most important and influential film artists in the last half-century were merely “wasting” film, than I’d speculate that the type of movies you claim to love is appallingly narrow.

Edward Yang is dead?!? :eek: Wow, that is incredibly depressing. :frowning:

Yang’s been fighting cancer for several years. He died on June 29 at the age of 59.

That really is odd. You’d think they would coordinate these things better.