Michigan Cops Snoop On Cellphones

That’s pretty much the concept behind DEFCon’s Wall of Shame. Moral of the story? If you go to DEFCon, make sure your phone is locked down tight.

So yeah, it is possible. That said, though, I can’t imagine that the MSP routinely do it, if at all.

Why would anyone give a fuck about it anyway?

They could probably get a couple of teenagers to do it for the cost of a new laptop.

That specific link describes a DOS attack against the author’s phone, but it also hints that some other vulnerabilities exist. Since she mentions wifi, and the “Wall of SHame” mentions user names and passwords, my first take was that the data that was exposed was found via sniffing of wifi connections and capturing user credentials used in web access via the phone.

Is there any definitive example of being able to wirelessly hack into a phone, without ever needing physical access, and retrieve stored data on the phone?

First, they came for my smartphone, but I did not protest because I didn’t have a smartphone…

Then they came for the iPads…

Then they came for the laptops…

Then they came for the pencils…

I have a technology that allows me to “read” what is written in pencil from at least 3’ away, without the user ever knowing. I’m not sharing it until I get the patent though.

I may have missed something here. Have they actually used this thing to collect data from a non-consenting person? Or do they possess this as a tool for those events when a search warrant is issued?

I’d be happy to answer that for you, once you pay me a half million dollars.

That’s the question that the ACLU is trying to get answered.

I see. It’s just that the OP said Michigan cops snoop on cell phones and I didn’t see a reference to it.

The local scoop

This story was on the news last night, seems to me the one officer in 12 counties who was trained on it, had to get the thing of the storage to share how it’s used.
I do agree with the following post…

The article in the OP says the Michigan cops claim the right to search and seize all your your cell phone data without a warrant or consent or even your knowledge.

As far as any of us can tell, the only thing that can be verified is that they have the technology to do this. No one seems to know if they are actually using it. No one has produced a written policy from the cops stating under conditions it might be used.

The Michigan ACLU is concerned about the potential for abuse, and has requested records of how it has been used, and the Michigan cops are making it prohibitively expensive for them to do so. Whether the cops actually have something to hide or they’re just general assholes to the ACLU on principle has yet to be determined. Could be both.

The article link to in the OP is supposedly about the ACLU’s attempts to investigate, but it claims more than the ACLU actually does with substantiating any of the claims.

Excellent summary.

The distinction is highly relevant. For Michigan to use this technology with a warrant is, as I said in my first reponse, an outrageous and blatant violation of the Fourth Amendment.

But for the feds at the border, it’s not. 19 U.S.C. § 1582 provides:

And caselaw supports this broad power:

Quoting U.S. v. Cotterman.

The State Police do not police the borders. They are primarily the cops on expressways in Michigan.

I could tell you, but then I’d have to bill you.

Let me see if I have this.

The MSP have this device that can do something with cell phones but nobody (except them and the manufacturer?) is really sure what it can do or how it can be used?

The ACLU files some FOIA requests for discovery purposes to get a definitive answer as on how the device is being used.

A Journalist stumbles across the ACLU requests and puts A and B together and makes the logical leap that the MSP can dump your phone simply by pulling up behind you with their cruiser. :smack:

No – the bit about remotely accessing your data isn’t in the cite the OP references, and it’s clear from the manufacturer that the device plugs in and downloads cell phone contents. The idea that it works remotely seems to have been spontaneously generated by this thread. The claim is that they might be doing this to people who have not committed any crime. If so, it seems like it would b a blatant invasion of privacy. But no one has made any charges of this yet AFAIK, and the ACLU is seeking records to see how the device has been used.

Whether someone has claimed such invasion of privacy but can;t prove it, or if somethig makes the ACLU suspect this is the case, or if they’re pre=emptively investigating hasn’t been stated. But the Michigan State Police are claiming that it would require a hefty bond for them to release the data.

They bought the devices. Furnished them to the police, But they don"t use them? OK. I guess I should believe anything now.