Migraine advice needed

aurvqan, can you elaborate on what midrin is?

thanks.

Since no one has mentioned it yet (I think), doing mild yoga (like hatha or vinyasa) on a regular basis can help with anxiety and stress levels, and can also help with migraines due to high stress levels. Yoga is like meditation for people who don’t want to stop moving and really helps calm the mind. Two friends of mine have done yoga for migraines and while it doesn’t make them go away, it does lessen the severity and frequency.

It’s a drug, a narcotic, I think.
I took Midrin once or twice. Like most other drugs, it affects everyone in a different way. It knocked me on my ass, as in a dead sleep, and my husband was nearly unable to rouse me. And it didn’t do squat for the pain.
OTOH, I love Imitrex, but some posters here have had bad side effects from it.

Compulsive researcher who is not aurvqan here.

Dichloralphenazone hydrolyzes to choloral hydrate, a.k.a. “knockout drops” or the key ingredient in a “Mickey Finn”. Not surprising it knocks some people on their asses!
The last ingredient is a vasoconstrictor, which actually sounds useful, since one of the highly suspected causes or intermediate symptoms of migraine is blood vessel dilation.

Midrin didn’t knock me on my ass at all. It made me burp, though.

Midrin is just one of a number of meds given people with migraines. I tried a bunch of different meds over the years, but this is the one that works [well, OK morphine works also, but Id rather not get to that level.]

I dont burp, but I do get heartburn after several of them.

So … since midrin doesnt make me sleepy, does that mean a mickey finn would not be as effective on me as other people?

I am not a doctor nor do I suffer from migraine. I do however work at an agency which recently published a report on migraines.

Imitrex is (had to google this since the brand name is different here) sumatriptan. There are several different triptans available for treating migraine and while they are on average of equal effect, there are often differences for indivdual patients. So if sumatriptan does not work for your daughter it could be the case that another triptan will.