Military Officers Uniform Breast Patches (Fruit Salad)

The “E” on the Battle Efficiency (Battle “E”) award is different than the “E” on the Expert Marksmanship awards.

I know, because I was awarded both. Actually, my unit got the Battle “E” twice while I was on board, so I had two little “E”'s on that award.

They are both pains in the neck to attach to the ribbons, particularly the tiny ones for the Battle “E”. It’s hard to get them to go on straight without tilting over. Heck, it’s even tilted on the official photo of it on this link. :slight_smile:

Also, while the U.S. Navy does indeed use stars to indicate most of their subsequent awards, the U.S. Army uses oak leaf clusters instead, for the most part.

National Defense Medal designed to be for specific periods of time (times of conflict). I have received two awards, one for the Desert Storm time period and one for the period since 2001. The second award is denoted by a star on the ribbon.

Not exactly. Oak Leaf clusters are used mostly for merit awards. Stars are used for campaign ribbons. Numbers are used for some like Overseas, Professional Development… Then there are other devices such as hourglasses for certain awards.

Anyone have a picture of John McCain’s ribbon bar at the time of his discharge? Wiki doesn’t, which surprises me.

If one does not qualify with the M16 at Marine Corps Boot Camp, one does not become a Marine. There are no ribbons for marksmanship in the USMC, they use metal badges for the three degrees of accuracy scoring (Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert). If you go UNQ (unqualified), you do it again, and again, and again.

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0130-0802-0400-1338_military_ribbons_and_badges_on_u_s_marine_uniform.jpg

Thanks. :smack: It explained that in the wiki link I posted. I should have read it fully first. Heh.

Ok, thanks. I didn’t qualify for any marksman badges/ribbons, so I made an (incorrect) assumption that the “E” was the same device used (dependent on context) on both ribbons. ( :smack: )

I’m not sure how sarcastic her explanation might have been, but someone in the Air Force once told me that the AF basically hands decorations for feats of accomplishment like joining, being on active duty, remaining on active duty, and generally not screwing up in a manner that breeches national security.

National Defence Service Medal is awarded these days for joining.

Good Conduct Medal (enlisted only, I think) for every period of service (for me it was every four years completed). According to wiki, the Air Force discontinued awarding this medal in 2006. Also see the Air Force Longevity Service Award.

You can also receive Overseas Ribbons for routine deployments to non-combat areas.

A hijack here: Is General Paces uniform really black? I thought Marine officers wore navy blue class A’s with black piping.

Here you go.

If by “Class A’s” you mean a business suit style jacket, nope, the USMC version of the business suit jacket is green. The Blue Dress uniform sure as heck looks black, but I have heard it called midnight blue. Any piping is the same color as the main body of the jacket. I still have mine at home, but I guaran-damn-tee it doesn’t fit, as it is a form-fitting uniform, and my form is not the same as it was whe it last fit.

At least the officer’s version has the same color piping, the enlisted uniform has red piping.

Very good - thanks!

I meant the tip-top-going-on-a-parade uniform. And is it darker than what I see the enlisted men wearing in the recruiting ads? That’s the color that I expected to see. Not a blue so dark as to be black.

Sure we do, we just don’t shoot the rifle in boot camp anymore. We did when I went through, but stopped sometime in the mid to late 90s, I believe. But folks in the field who shoot the rifle are still eligible for the rifle ribbon if they qualify.

(Plus, you only use a 9mm in boot camp for some reason. In the field, it’s the Sig .40. They probably still shoot the 9mm in boot camp to use up remaining ammo supplies)

It’s the same color as the U.S. Navy Service Dress Blue uniform.

The color of the Service Dress Blue uniform is a great way to screw with new recruits/midshipmen, i.e.:

Platoon leader: “Midshipman, what color are your trousers?”
Midshipman: “Sir, my trousers are black, sir.”
Platoon leader: “Wrong! Your trousers are blue! What color is your belt?”
Midshipman: “Sir, my belt is…blue, sir.”
Platoon leader: “Wrong! Your belt is black! Did your mother have any children that lived?!”

:smiley:

The colors of the uniform are:
Coat: Navy Blue
Trousers: Navy Blue
Belt: Black
Shoes: Black
Socks: Black

Here’s the thing–all of the components listed here are the same color. (Hence the new recruit’s confusion.) However, you will never get Navy person to admit that the coat and trousers are anything other than Navy Blue.

It’s Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and it’s an individual award, IIRC.

Are you forgetting the brown shoe Navy?
And another bit of information for the OP. On the Army uniform the ribbons on the left side are individual awards. On the right side the ribbons are for unit awards. Those ribbons have a gold border on them. The soldier wears the ribbons that are authorized for his current unit, some of them awarded in WWII. The soldier also wears any unit award that was awarded to his unit while he was a member. For instance I was in a unit that was awarded the Joint Meriorious Unit Award. I can wear that no matter what unit I go to. I can also wear the Presidential Unit Citation because of my current units service in WWII. When I leave th unit I will no longer be able to wear it.

It’s been mentioned, but some people may not realize the oak leaf cluster thing…it’s given for each time (over 1) that you have won the award…up until 6 awards, when (at least in the Army) you go from 4 bronze oak leaf clusters (for 5 awards) to one silver oak leaf cluster.

When I left the Army, I had 6 ribbons on my chest: Army Commendation Medal (with 2 oak leaf clusters), National Defense Service Medal (which, as mentioned, everyone gets nowadays because it’s a time of war), Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon and Overseas Service Ribbon. Not exactly a huge amount, but I was only on Active Duty for 4.5 years, and I never really experienced combat. (I deployed to Kuwait for OIF, and never went up into Iraq).

In the Army, you do not get ribbons for marksmanship. Marksmanship medals are worn on the breast pocket underneath the ribbons. While not mandated by AR-670-1, Officers do not usually wear marksmanship medals. (I was told it was because we were expected to be an expert in everything…which is a crock.) I wouldn’t have minded wearing them, as I was qualified expert on both the M-16 and M-9, but I never did.

You’re correct, of course. :smack:

The award that I was referring to is indeed the “Sea Service Deployment Ribbon,” as shown here. FWIW, though, there is also a “Navy Reserve Sea Service Ribbon.”

You are also correct that it’s an individual award. However, for me, it was awarded just like a unit award. For instance, on my first deployment, I received a “Sea Service Deployment Ribbon,” “Navy Arctic Service Ribbon,” and a “Battle E” award. Everyone on board received the same, even though the first two were individual awards, and the latter was a unit award.