Minimum driving speed

OK, for the benefit of those who think I want the cyclist to be driving through the gravel / tall grass / rocks / on top of the guardrail, etc., I’ll rephrase again…

" SIDE OF THE ROAD " = the right edge of the pavement (but still considered to be the travel lane of traffic, which is paved with materials condusive to driving / cycling) that is not sandy, rocky, or uneven, filled with broken glass / razorwire, etc.

Like this.

Or this

Or this

As the teeming million can see I did specify that it’s a narrow road. If I’m biking up the side, the cars still don’t have three feet to pass me, and they don’t want to get a ticket. Pulling over isn’t going to help because the cars still wouldn’t have three feet to pass me. I’d have to get off of the street and onto the sidewalk, and of course I can’t bike on the sidewalk. The local police haven’t been much help either. All they can tell me is that they don’t like the three foot rule because it’s impossible to enforce unless a cop is there and has a ruler on hand. I’m at a loss to know what to do here.

The laws may be different in your part of the world - here in Toronto, you are always allowed to walk your bike on the sidewalk. One is not allowed to ride on the sidewalk, but you’d never know it from the number of cyclists who do. Anyway, this may be an option if you feel the cars behind you are threatening to pass in an unsafe manner.

One of the annoying things about your hill question is you’d probably like to conserve whatever momentum you have; starting out again on a hill is not much fun. It’s a hard call - above all, keep yourself safe. And thank you for being a cyclist who cares about the rules of the road.

I can’t walk my bike up the street either, I’m disabled with Multiple Sclerosis and it’s easier for me to bike than it is to walk. I’m quite sure that I’d fall if I had to walk up that hill with my bike.

I’m sorry if my response seemed insensitive - I didn’t know about the MS. A friend of mine who has it is finding biking is great for him.

Is there any way to change your route so that you take a less traveled street or a trail through a park up that hill? I know that here in Toronto there’s a climb between Davenport Road and St. Clair, but some places are easier to get up than others, and some of them are recreational trails which are way easier to deal with.

Happy trails.

On such a narrow road, you shouldn’t ride very close to the edge of the road. Not only does it encourage frustrated drivers to try to pass you dangerously, you don’t have an escape route when they do. I usually keep at least 3 ft away from the edge of the lane.

I believe it’s legal to cross the center line to pass a slow-moving vehicle. So the drivers behind you should simply wait until there is a break in oncoming traffic, and then use the oncoming lane to pass you. They may have to wait a long time if traffic is heavy in both directions, but that’s just the way it is.

Also I believe you (the cyclist) are supposed to pull over to let the cars pass if it’s safe to do so. If there are several cars behind me, I try to find a side road or parking lot that I can swerve into and let the cars pass. I wouldn’t use unpaved shoulders though.

OP, It’s a hard call but it sounds like your are putting your life in danger here. All it will take is one inattentive driver or some reckless a-hole to put an end to your biking pleasure. I think you need to consider whether or not this risk/reward ratio is to your long term benefit.
Regardless of what the actual road rules are that govern this scenario you can’t expect everyone behind you to know them or follow them or care about them as you do. If the situation is as hazardous as you’ve explained I would consider using the sidewalk if the (lack of) pedestrian traffic will allow you.

At the speed you’re climbing the hill you won’t kill anyone walking on the sidewalk with your bike. The same can’t be said about an intervention with an automobile.

I’m sure an officer would understand if you are ever confronted.

Same is true for car drivers and pedestrians as well. And I don’t think we should be making judgments on the OP’s perfectly legal activities, at least not in GQ.