Missing Soccer Team Found Alive in Cave

I never saw this coming. Wow. In a week of terrible news it is sure great to get something so positive! Hurrah!

Good news, but I was sure this was going to be about one of the underperforming teams in the World Cup.:slight_smile:

I’m glad nobody had to resort to cannibalism…

Seriously, this is good news.

Wonderful! I really didn’t expect that they would be saved.

Awesome. I was pretty sure they were all going to be found dead (or not found at all, due to a cave collapse or having been washed into an underground river).

Worth noting that although they have been found, they’re not out of the cave yet. The article suggests this may take some doing. But least now they can supply them with food, water, medical aid, and whatever else they might need.

Beat me to it, that’s exactly what I came here to say.

Were they all clutching their shins when they were found?

I’m going to Hell, aren’t I?

Fucking awesome thread title! :smiley:

Awesome. I was on a cruise, but we get BBC World news in our cabin so I heard about this story. Too many days of “have not been found” :frowning:
Obvioulsy they are not out of the [del]woods[/del] cave yet, but it is obviously the first step in the rescue effort.

Brian

This was very good news to hear. We were talking about this last week and my daughter was convinced it wasn’t going to end well. I hope they are all ok.

:confused: Was that a soccer/flop joke?

That’s wonderful news. I hope they manage to extract them all quickly and safely.

Wow - I was not hopeful but really happy it’s looking good

I wasn’t optimistic about this either, but I was so happy to hear that they are alive and relatively well.

NBC News led with this story, and among other things, they didn’t know how long they had been in there. They were all quite surprised to learn it had been 10 days. It sounds like they’re going to locate some child-sized scuba equipment and go from there.

CNN had a reporter say they are putting in 4 mos.worth of food. Surely it won’t take that long? Monsoon season and all.

BBC News was reporting that it may be too risky to bring them out using scuba equipment as the boys have no prior experience. It may indeed be more prudent to wait until the water goes down.

Count me as another who did not expect good news to come out of this.

Wonderful news. It reminds me of the 33 miners (in Chile) trapped after a mine collapse in 2015. It took a couple months but everyone was rescued.

They may have to wait until after the rainy season. But they have food and two volunteer doctors. They’ll get out eventually.

I would not be surprised if the Thai authorities are in contact with the crew who did that, and/or the Pennsylvania rescue a few years earlier.

Right now the BBC is saying “for months”, not “four months”. They are also pumping water out of the cave now that they know what they’re dealing with.

My guess is also that they will not remove the boys and man using scuba equipment unless or until it’s more dangerous not to.

Putting scuba gear on a kid who’s never used it, and then taking him underwater and hoping he doesn’t panic? You don’t do that unless absolutely necessary.

Two rescue divers swim through miles of underwater caves, pulling behind them a waterproof bag full of much-needed supplies. At last, they reach their destination cave and find the boys huddled in the darkness around the meagre light of a single dying torch.

The rescuers open their bag and distribute survival meals to the hungry kids, just as the torch extinguishes the last of its light.

“Don’t worry”, says a rescuer with a smile on his face, as he pulls the supply bag towards him. He reaches inside and then looks down with a puzzled expression at the fork handles he’s pulled out. Several seconds of silence pass, before he turns to his fellow rescuer.

“I said four candles!!!