Moderators changing thread titles

I do agree (with Reimann), her thread titles are borderline meaningless.
Can you guess what any of these threads might be about?

• Bad, bad, bad Comatose mistaken ideas
  • BIG, bad bad bad ways to go home (yes, you can go home again!)
  • Wait just a dang minute. Bad bad bad Ms. Beck-brain, we gotta talk
  • Bad, bad, bad Beck-da-wrek is on (as in dependent on) Goof-o-da-balls. Uh-oh!
  • Hey! There’s this thing I really really really love

(And, naturally, Discourse requires a bunch of extra steps to copy text that also happens to be a link. )

The rules from MPSIMS, explicitly state that you cannot have vague thread titles.

Indeed. Can a Mod please explain the difference between the thread title “Guess What?” that is explicitly prohibited in the rules, and the thread title “Hey! There’s this thing I really really really love” that is fine?

Let’s not make this a “hey let’s pick on beckdawreck” thread.

Does anyone have any non-beck examples they would like to discuss?

I object to all non-informative thread titles. It’s the mods who are making it about one poster by deciding that the rule does not apply to one poster.

With the first four, and knowing Beck, yes I have a pretty good idea of what I would be clicking on.

If someone had reported the 5th one I would have edited the title. Was it reported?

And this really is not the way moderation should work.

The MMP works the same way. If you don’t know what the MMP is then you won’t know what the thread is about.

Do you object to the MMP also or is it just Beck’s posts?

The MMP is a Board tradition. I think that’s quite different from selectively deciding that the rules do not apply to one specific poster. I think it’s detrimental to Board culture to allow clickbait titles - and I’m pretty sure that’s why the rule exists. So in my opinion these thread titles clearly violate the intent of the rule.

Arguably so is bad, bad, bad Beck.

So is Beck’s “bad bad bad”.

Again, if you have a problem with one specific poster, take it to the Pit.

I resent you evading the issue by mischaracterizing my objection as a personal attack. I have made it very clear what I’m objecting to, and it’s the failure of moderators to enforce clear violations of a clearly stated rule. It’s you who have made it about one poster, not me.

If your response is just that you’re selectively not enforcing it with this specific poster because you regard it as a “Board tradition” to do that, there’s not much I can say. But don’t compound your failure to moderate objectively and consistently by mischaracterizing my objection.

This objection probably should have been raised 3-4 years ago and maybe it was. But at this point, “Bad, bad, bad” pretty much has clear meaning. It really is like MMP as several of us have now said.

I think I recall her being told to tone down the titles 3 years ago or so? It was before I was a mod and back on vB. I never followed her threads or much of MPSIMS so I’m not sure.

I did object when this started, and got exactly the same response. To claim that it is now fine because it’s a Board tradition is a little disingenuous.

Can you link to the objection? Not that I’m an MPSIMS mod, but I vaguely recall her threads titles being worse when she first arrived. Now they’re pretty consistent most of the time I thought.

Looks like you got your answer then:

ETA: As a poster I agree with this post from that thread:

It was. Her original titles were too vague. She promised to do better, and for the most part she has.

Ask someone who is not friends with her to try to predict the contents of any of the recent threads posted above and see what they say.

Anyway, I’m done here. You’re going to do what you’re going to do.

I very rarely read those ‘bad bad bad’ threads and because of that, I couldn’t even remotely guess what a single one of them is about based on the title. Of course, since I don’t read them, I guess the clarity of the title isn’t really of any importance to me, but still. It’s always nice when the rules are consistent.

So, this explicit rule is moderated based on…something.

On the other hand, the mods came down pretty hard on whoever the poster was that was using green text (not the grapist, this was someone else). It was made clear that there was nothing against the rules about, they just didn’t like it because it seemed like the poster was saying “look at me”.

In this case, it was explicitly not against any rule, but moderated based on…something.

That’s a ridiculous accusation. Beckdawreck’s thread titles intentionally reflect the general tone of the threads themselves, which are whimsical, playful, and fun. They are playful and fun even when she’s reporting on a serious personal health issue, bless her, because she’d rather bring cheer to the board than sympathy and sorrow.

There may or may not be issues with how thread titles have been changed, but picking on Beck’s threads as an example of alleged inconsistent modding is both irrelevant and uncalled for.