Money Grubbing Shitheads Slice and Dice a Piece of History

Hear Hear!

**Rhum Runner[/b[, you are full of shit.

Are the swatches cut from the sweaty armpit parts of the shirt more valuable? The Babe was kinda heavy.

I’m sorry you can’t tell the difference between sports memorabilia and real history.

Miller, I guess I should have told my boss at the Heinz Center that they should’ve chucked Willy Stargil (sp?)'s jersey or sold it on eBay to the highest bidder-after all, it’s just memorabilia!

What history is being preserved? I ask again: what knowledge of the past will be lost, that we once had, when this jersey is sent through the shredder? Historical artifacts are artifacts for a reason: they tell us something about the period from which they come. In this case, we have two more just like it. The bonnet you previously mentioned has historical value: it tells us something about the people of the time. This jersey tells us only, “Babe Ruth wore this!”. To which, I can only ask, “So?”

This is not “preserving history”, it’s object worship, based solely on sentiment.

It’s about as much history as the shoelaces he wore.

Swathes of the Jockstraps of Washington and Lincoln! Get 'em while they’re hot! Real history, as opposed to that Babe Ruth nonsense - as decreed by the SDMB Historical Institute [Telling Americans what they ought to think since 1973].

Yeah, Loaded, but that’s The Don. Australian National Icon who could Do No Wrong. (Although, Gideon Haigh would have a few words to say about that.) A man whose very fame actually changed the laws in Australia about the proper use of a celebrity’s name. On the other hand, Babe Ruth was, in all honesty, an extremely flawed hero who ate too many hot dogs and frequented too many brothels.

I’m kidding, mind. But there are two museums with large collections of Babe Ruth memorabilia (The Baseball Hall of Fame, and the Babe Ruth museum in Baltimore). Each, AFAIK, has a pinstripe jersey belonging to the Babe. Neither of those are disappearing any time soon. This isn’t like a one-off copy of the Declaration of Independence here.

I still think the heirs are extremely foolish to do this. The uniform is more valuable, as an artifact and as an investment, whole. But to decry profit as the Grim Reaper of History is an exaggeration. War, natural disaster and neglect have destroyed more historical artifacts than profit ever will. As but one example…I’m sure Babe Ruth had more than three pinstripe uniforms. What happened to the others?

They’ve been doing this for quite sometime now, well, at least several years. Game used jerseys, shavings of game used bats and the ilk are all seen attached (sandwiched between two thin pieces of cardboard with a viewing hole cut out of them) to chase cards all the time. Most of the time it’s a current player, but sometimes you get someone like Babe Ruth or another old dead white guy.

Forgive me…but I think giving 2100 people a chance to actually own a bit of history is a good thing. It’s not the only one left. And it can make lots of baseball fans very happy.

Forgive me…but I think giving 2100 people a chance to actually own a bit of history is a good thing. It’s not the only one left. And it can make lots of baseball fans very happy.

Well, gosh, no, Guin! I mean, sure, I could care less if someone wiped their ass with Babe Ruth’s jersey and then burned it, but even I have to draw the line when it comes to Willy Stargil! I mean, c’mon! Willy Stargil! Willy Stargil!

One question: Who the fuck is Willy Stargil?

That would be Willy Stargell of the Pittsburgh Pirates, - he’s in the Hall of Fame.

My thoughs exactly.

Some other schmuck people seem to give a shit about.

Is this what civilization has come to? People collectively jacking off over the rags of a hero long gone?

2100 rich bastards with money to burn? They’d probably never look at it. How about giving it to the people in the form of a museum exhibit?

I’m saddened by the sentiments I’ve seen the SDMB folks show in this thread (and I’m an evil conservative!).

So,. they cut up a shirt some guy wore when he was playing a game?

I guess I don’t see the problem.

You’d think Donruss of all companies would show some fuckin’ respect.

I work in a genetics lab. I’m on board - let’s get this guy cloned!

That sounds interesting! How did the laws change?