Money Transfer question

I apologize for my flippant post upthread.

I really am sorry about your grandpa.

No worries. :slight_smile: I was going to complement you on the joke, but got distracted. >_<

I think the sheer randomness of the accident, plus the knowledge that he essentially died in his sleep, that he would otherwise have faced draw-out illness, and the fact that we weren’t very close anyhow keeps the whole thing from being overly tragic.

I appreciate the sympathy, though.

Excuse me, but I have to ask.

An $8000 mattress?

What’s it stuffed with? Virgins?

You know those Craftmatic mattresses, the ones that adjust so they prop you up, or elevate your feet? Like this one? Apparently, those cost $8000.

All the websites I’ve found have the twin sizes starting at $1500 or so. :confused:

My mom has a knack for being completely suckered by salespeople. She also owns a Kirby vacuum with all the accessories. In the days of Windows 3.1, she bought a $5000 laptop a month after we moved across 3 states and the Pacific. She currently uses an ancient G4, which was about $3000 when she bought it, to check email.

She is self employed, nets about $20K a year, just turned 50, is a chronic smoker with neck problems, and has no savings for retirement.

My dad and I pleaded with her to set money aside, but her overused “I’ll do that when my father dies and my inheritance comes through” has become “I’ll do that when the nice lady my father befriended late in life passes and we can sell the house he bought her.”

:rolleyes:

I’ll stop talking, before I turn into LOUNE.

Just have the money transferred or have a cashiers check sent. No big deal.

"Deadline for Reporting Taxable Gifts
Here’s how the $12,000 tax-free gift rule works. Each year, you can gift away money or other stuff worth up to $12,000 to a single donee (gift recipient). If you are married, you and your spouse can jointly give away up to $24,000 per donee. You don’t have to pay any gift taxes, and your estate tax exemption remains intact.

But what happens when you exceed that limit?

You may have to file a federal gift tax return, using IRS Form 709. It’s generally required if you made a gift worth over $12,000 to an individual or several gifts to one individual that add up to more than $12,000. Gifts above the $12,000 annual limit are called “taxable gifts.”** Don’t panic! You won’t actually owe any federal gift tax unless your cumulative taxable gifts exceed your $1 million gift tax exemption.** But you must still file Form 709 if you made any taxable gifts, even when no tax is due."

Um, yes. I have that information in my OP, Dr. Deth.

My original question was: How much money could I move without freaking out the Bank, as opposed to the IRS?

And that was answered in spades.

Thanks for playing, here’s your complementary clue-by-4.

No hard feelings. I don’t blame you for not reading the whole thread. It is long and boring. I just felt like exercising my snarkiness muscles. Almost as fun as Kegles!

I read the entire thread. You said “What we are now wondering is: At what point will the amount be large enough that the bank will flag the transaction and start delving into our personal stuff? There aren’t any big skeletons, we’d just rather be under the radar.” Now, I can only assume that by “the bank flagging the transaction” it would be flagging the transaction for the IRS. I mean, what the fuck do you care if a fucking bank gets suspicious? What can they do? Raise your fees? :dubious: No one is cared of the damn bank, they are scared of the bank *telling * the fucking IRS. If you were scared of the bank itself- why?

You know, you asked for help, and I called my Bro, a Tax expert who sent me that link. And then you insult me for trying to help you. Niiice. Let’s see what happens next time you ask for help around here. :mad:

If anyone needs proof that when your number is up, it is up, here it is. Wow.
really there should not be a problem as long as you are using a check. Cash would be a different story.
If you are paranoid, have your mom write you one check for 1/2 the amount and your dad the other for the other half.

Banks don’t freak out if you put money in them. If I show up at my bank with a personal check for $1,000,000 that is good, they will do the legally minimum required amount of freaking out. They will hold the money until it’s definitely good, and file whatever IRS paperwork the federal government wants them to file (if any). The last thing they will want to do is start snooping into my life as to why somebody wrote me a check for a $1,000,000, lest I get pissed off and change banks. :confused:

I’ve found that my bank has been (save for the most recent case) extremely lenient in accepting deposits into my account… My mother, on several occasions, would go to my bank and deposit a check (which wasn’t in my name) into my account without even knowing my account number (just my SS#). Of course she wasn’t on my checking account either.

For whatever reason the last time she tried to do it they stopped her and said her name would have to be on the account. <shrug>

In post #2, gotpasswords said

like money laundering and other nefarious things. That is the sort of thing I didn’t want my bank to do. Yeah, the end result would be the bank getting the IRS involved. And they wouldn’t find anything in our case, but, we want to avoid the whole thing all together by not triggering the bank’s suspicions in the first place.

I’m sorry you did all that work for a question that was already answered.

But that’s the whole point of suspicious activity report – the best way to avoid one is to not act suspicious. Trying to stay under the radar with something like this will certainly come off suspicious. One big check, especially from a relative is no big deal. Funneling smaller amounts around when you haven’t before might be. Besides, how would you know that it was filed – how does it affect you in any way?

And like I said, you were worried that the Bank would report it to the IRS, and since the amount is totaly legit, there is nothing to worry about so just transfer it as normal. As groman also said, it is acting suspicious that will get you reported not doing everything above and aboard.
Which is why we advised "Just have the money transferred or have a cashiers check sent. No big deal. "

I suppose that was the first part of my question that I didn’t state to everyone’s satisfaction.

I presumed that the bank wouldn’t take notice of smaller checks coming in with regularity, but would notice a large check suddenly deposited. For me, $10,000 is a lot of money, so I asked in the OP if the bank would also consider that a sum worth tracking.

Now, I know differently.

Although, I don’t know why they would become suspicious of smaller checks coming in with regularity. For all they know, I got a new job, right?

And yeah, I wouldn’t know if the bank was tracking my deposits and everything is perfectly legit anyhow. It would just bother me if I came under their scrutiny. It is an intrusion that I’d rather avoid.

But it’s all moot anyhow, if my mom decides to spend her inheritance otherwise.

Wouldn’t it be better, credit wise, to have mom pay off the credit cards over a period of a few months rather than pay them off in one lump sum? I know you’ll be paying more interest but is that trade-off worth it?

Uncommon,

No. That won’t particularly help you credit.
Also, the FBI gets THOUSANDS of CTR and SAR forms monthly. They ignore 99.9%. It’s not that big a deal.

This is getting off topic of the original question, so feel free to ignore it if you want to.

If the will really was set up to bypass your grandpa’s children and go straight to the grandkids, then how did your mom get the check in the first place? It seems to me the executor of the will should have made the distributions to the grandchildren. I understand that your knowledge of the will is second hand from your mother, but it might be worth seeing if it was set up that way or not.

When the check went straight to her, I became suspicious that the will was written differently from what she had told me.

She gets…confused. Apparently, she “tried” pot in her wild youth. In the last couple years, we’ve reunited with friends of the family who haven’t seen my mom in a long time. To a person, they’ve all taken me aside and asked if my mom was still on the Chronic, her behavior is that loopy. No, she’s just broken. Au natural.

I’ve talked with the executor, and the will is really written so that everything goes to my Grandfather’s offspring, so my mom and her siblings.