More than a spelling mistake but not really a mondegreen

Of course, at the federal level, the President himself shall be removed from office on Impeachment for, and conviction of, “Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.”

That’s, what, fresh frozen jumbo shrimp?

That is a truly awesome word choice! Your family should be put in charge of English.

We use it often enough that when we type auto-- autocorrect shifts it to autocarrot.

How embarrassing! While I haven’t seen this show, I have heard of it and this is the first time I understood the meaning. I blame my lack of Christmas show watching.

Yep, that’s the only way I’ve ever used it/seen it used. “Excuse me, while I kiss this guy.”

In all my 60 years I have never heard this from anyone unless they were joking. Makes me wonder how many times people heard that and didn’t understand it was a joke.

I think the thing with Modegreens is that music lyrics are often obscured by background (foreground) instrument noise, and enunciation is not the key to singing - so difficult to discern, unlike typical conversation. I suppose too the distinction was whether the words were misheard, or the speaker used the wrong word.

(I often wondered why Stevie Nicks was singing about a “one-winged dove”)

Speaking of Stevie Nicks , the phrase “Edge of Seventeen” came from her mishearing of Tom Petty’s wife saying that they had met at the “age of seventeen”

Equally important, songs are often poetic expressions of more exotic or unusual things than everyday conversation, so it may not be so obvious that a misheard lyric is semantically wrong.

Autoincorrect.

– I rather like “autocarrot”; but that’s the first time I’ve seen it. (Not that that means much.) “Autoincorrect” I’ve seen a number of times, I’m pretty sure in varying contexts.

Quasimodo predicted all this.

Quasimodo Predicted All This - YouTube

It’s a family word, so maybe seven or eight people use it. Feel free to borrow it if you like. It works best if you’re texting.

“autoincorrect” is a poor choice IMO; too passive. IMO “autodecorrect” would be better; it puts the onus of action on the dumb software that actively converted a good word into a crap word.

Autocarrot is great, but maybe too subtle for a less erudite crowd than we have here on the 'Dope. Despite working great here amongst the teeming millions I fear it will go over the heads of the rest of the unwashed mass of humanity.

Generic Employee Myron: “My name is Myron not Moron. Next time don’t take the first word autocorrect gives you!”
Pointy-Haired Boss: “What’s autocorrect?”

You mean a Freudian slit?

Freudian slurp more like.

Just so you know, “autocarrot” is a thing:

I find that whenever I think I’ve come up with something clever and original, that someone else already has. I mean, hell, even calculus wasn’t uniquely thought up! (Or possibly that definition was put out there by Yllaria or one of their kin.)

I saw it last night on Not Always Right and meant to report that here, but forgot.

I didn’t post it anywhere but here. I can’t speak for offspring.

I suspect that it’s an easily concurrent evolution thing.

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…”
-not actually Sigmund Freud