Most dated song

The song was originally written and recorded by South African singer Solomon Linda as “Mbube” in 1939. Denver’s recording is actually a cover of the version recorded by the Weavers in 1952. The Tokens’ recording of “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” was also heavily influenced by the Weavers’ version of “Wimoweh.”

Wikipedia - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

And the colored girls go/‘Doot, doo doot, doo doot, doo doot doo doot/Doot, doo doot, doo doot, doo doot doo doot.’"

The Let’s All Call Up AT&T and Protest to the President March

I believe that honor belongs to Shanghai prostitute Song Ling Mae.

Oh. Dated, not outdated.

When Johnny Comes Marching Home was written during the Civil War, about when the solders would be returning.

Then again, soldiers don’t march home from wars any more, so it’s also outdated.

Maybe it’s not the “most” dated, but Bloodhound Gang’s song “Bad Touch” -

“You and me, baby, we ain’t nothing but mammals, So let’s do it like they do on the Discovery Channel”

• sounds dated, what with the types of shows that are on the Discovery Channel now.

Probably the ultimate “dated” song:

The Mamas and the Papas: Creeque Alley.

Bloodhound Gang’s The Ballad of Chasey Lain may have a timeless theme but the inclusion of Chasey Lain as a major star marks it being part of the latter 90s.

The Beatles’ Taxman makes a reference to Harold Wildon, Edward Heath and 95% marginal tax dates is rather precisely if you have knowledge of British political history.

My first thought was Meco’s disco version of the “Star Wars” theme.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Along the lines of** Abraham, Martin and John**: Ohio.

1964 is way different from 1969.

95% of the Beach Boys songs from the 60’s.
Actually, most of the music deemed as being “timeless” would fall into the dated category.

Two songs about apartheid.

Free Nelson Mandela

Sun City

Tom’s Diner

The Playmates, Beep Beep

The Battle Hymn of Lt. Calley

An early ‘dated’ song would be the pop standard “Meet Me in St. Louis, Louie” which is specifically about the 1905 St. Louis World’s Fair.
A short discography of Mbube/Wimoweh/The Lion Sleeps Tonight (see also a few posts further on in that thread for a link to the historical background_

Neil Young’s OHIO was recorded by CSNY May 21, 1970, 17 days after Kent State and was released in June. The rawness and immediacy was part of what mad the song such a hit.

This thread keeps making me think of Miss Congeniality and

“Please describe your idea of a perfect date?”

“That’s a tough one. I’d have to say April 25th. Because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.”

So I will go with Desiree by Neil Diamond

It was the third of June
On that summer’s day

Then came the fourth of June
On that sleepless night

because it has the most dates :slight_smile:

Well, not the MOST dated, but Tom Petty & the HeartBreakers “Jammin’ Me” has some rather dated references - “The Apple in young Steve’s eye”, “Iranian Torture”, “Take Back Vanessa Redgrave, Take Back Eddie Murphy, Take Back Joe Piscopo”.
That said, I still think it’s a rather rocking song.

And dated references like the previously mentioned (by Drain Bead) “We Care A Lot”, with it’s references to Live Aid, Garbage Pail Kids, Killer Bees, the NASA Shuttle explodion, and Rock Hudson’s AIDS, certainly didn’t hurt the song’s use as the “Dirty Jobs” theme

Joel: ““Super Freak-Out!” by Four Dead In Ohio Arts”
Crow: “Tin Soldiers and Nixon’s Coming sold separately”

(Perhaps I have been watching old MST3k too much lately)