Most disturbing moments in children's movies

I had forgotten all about that. I believe that is the one with the guy with a long nose, mustache and cape who walks hunched over. He also carried a big net to catch the kids. That was creepy. Also, wasn’t Benny Hill in that movie? It has been years since I saw it.

oh eee-oh! ohhh-ee-oh!

Yeah, those guys marching around in the Wizard of Oz have to be the creepiest ever…and the monkeys…and the Lollypop Guild…hell the whole damn movie.
And what about grandpa and the kid from Willie Wonka floating up towords the ventilation fan or Varuca Salt turning into a big blueberry? What kind of crazy-ass kids story is this?
Watership Down when the farmers gassed the wabbit holes.

Ah…I miss the good old days when childrens films were designed to scare them into submission instead of sell action figures.

The part in ET when the guys in the biohazard suits show up. Creeeepy. I flat-out refused to go see it when it was re-released. Either ET or Bambi was my first movie in a theater experience. Thanks Mom.

In Ol’ Yeller when he goes rabid and the boy has to shoot him. >sniff<

Talking of the Wizard of Oz…how about when the Wicked Witch of the East’s toes curl up and disappear under Dorothy’s house?

Bleah.

When ET is sick in the bathroom with Eliot and his mom comes in and ET is all white and sick and he reaches out to her and moans “Mooooooom”.

shudder

Btw–xcheopis, I seem to recall the thing about the pants with no one in them, but I can’t place them. Can you 'splain, or will you just have too many nightmares?
ps upon preview, it appears ET was a cow in that scene…hmm…I just meant a really long “mom”

[tangent]
Let the record show that I, Octavia Smythe-Bunion I. Esq. do not hate the Ewoks and I actually LIKE the Ewok song at the end of “Jedi.”

Now who among you will make this bold stand with me?

…stand with me?

…with me?

…ith me?
Hello?

…hello?

…ello?
sigh!

[/tangent]

I don’t hate the Ewoks.

Granted, I don’t really care about them one way or another, but I certainly don’t dream up 101 Ways To Skewer An Ewok, either.

I’m gonna 2nd (3rd?) the ** Wizzard of Oz**'s witch out the window when the house is spinning. I used to run upstairs everytime that came on. Still gives me the willy’s.
The PBS show ** 3-2-1 CONTACT ** had ** The Bloodhound Gang** (not THAT Bloodhound Gang) shorts on at the end. The * Story of the Cackling Ghost* ,or something like that, scared the hell out of me as a kid too.
dead0man

Another vote for The Dark Crystal. That movie completely freaked me out. Several places. Not a happy children’s movie.

As for Watership Down, there is no way I’m ever watching that movie or reading that book. (I’m not entirely sure what was in the movie - but horror after horror and something about the bunnies ears, way too much for me.)

Dumbo when his mother is trying to help him and gets restrained and beaten down and is finally taken away from him, that was very much more scary to me than Bambi’s mother. It was just awful. Plus, Dumbo getting teased… and pink elephants…

Yes! Yes! Yes! I remember that! Lost a lot of sleep over that episode. I can still hear the cackling…

In The Little Mermaid when Ariel first got her legs and swam to the surface nude from the waist down.
Not exactly a disturbing scene, however the amount of time I spent pausing the DVD trying to catch a glimpse of animated mermaid snatch was indeed disturbing. (for the record, I only spent two minutes or so, but still, I’m a little distrubed that I did it at all. Especially since you can’t really see anything.) :slight_smile:
stv

My brother cried at the witch in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. I still rip the piss even now.

The Secret of Nimh (sp?) was real dark and scary for kids. All sorts of genetically tampered-with rodents up to no good.

Wasn’t there a tractor or lawnmower that came along and destroyed the mouse family rock house? I remember the little baby mouse being sick and nearly drowning or something…

Yeeuugh!

How about Lady and the Tramp when Jock (?) the scottie dog (?) gets run over by the wagon? (It was the scottie, right?) The other dog, his buddy, just sits there next to him and howls.

When I was in college, I knew a girl who said she still had bad dreams from seeing the Sandleford warren gassing sequence as a child.

I’m sorry, you what?

[Bill Murray]
Who saw “Old Yeller?” Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end? Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot? I cried my eyes out.
[/Bill Murray]

I think that this is one of the few movies (along with Brian’s Song) where grown men can admit that they cried during it and they will not get any grief from other guys, even if they are typically the “macho” type otherwise.

Artex dying in The Neverending Story.

I thought it was odd when they gave the re-release of E.T. a PGR rating here (the original was classified G), but I guess I never really looked for disturbing bits when I saw E.T.

But it seems to me that children’s movies don’t have the same bite to them these days. Are there kid movies made these days with scare scenes similiar to those found in Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal?

If you don’t remember the scary scene in Labyrinth it involved Colleen Camp looking around the house for her brother and all those little goblins were hiding from her. Oh, and any scene with David Bowie. My nearly 4 year old neice asked “Is him a boy or is him a girl?”

Personally I think children’s movies could use a dose of fear and even death. Everyone should know that people, and animals, have a limited life span. If a character dies in a noble act he should stay dead.

Marc