[QUOTE=Miller]
He’s reading it and chuckling at some of the stuff the guy managed to get through the filter. Then he stops, turns to me, and asks, “What’s a ‘luh-bee-uh?’”
I couldn’t help it. I burst out laughing and said, “It’s labia! Dude, I feel so sorry for your girlfriend!”
[/QUOTE]
Sometime after June '86 and while Phil Donahue still had a show there was a quasi-debate between representatives of the Topfree Seven from Rochester (yay!) and the county D.A. (Monroe County, New York). I don’t recall much that was said by the guests but a couple of the audience comments were priceless.
(First let me say that most exposure of person laws, when including a woman’s breasts, carefully distinguish against mere cleavage by referring to nipples; such also refer to areolas as well. Generally both areolas as well as nipples must be covered; some statutes have gone beyond that to include as “nudity” any portion of a breast below the level of the uppermost point of the areola. And so on. While some refer to portions of the breast of a different color than most of the breast, which may cause even more problems than the “below” factor, most assume a common knowledge of what an areola is, and are thus worded accordingly – The point is that NYS law did use the word and it was naturally enough mentioned early on in the discussion of challenges to the law.)
Somewhere in the early-middle of the show a youngish man who might otherwise appear intelligent and was certainly well-spoken offered a bit of reasoning on the “con” side of topfree equality. Not to berate the man for his opinion…
(Paraphrased): *** I was nursed by my mother’s breasts… I consider them ‘sacred’ … ***
NOW, I don’t object to this sort of opinion even though I don’t agree with it. What he went on to say, though, was STOOOOOPID!!!
(Paraphrase continued): *** … I don’t like them being referred to with a DIRTY WORD like areola. ***
<Jack slowly shakes his head with hand on forehead>
Fortunately, when Donahue started the show with the challenging rhetorical question: *** If a man can take his shirt off… What’s the difference? ***
The first audience speaker, a woman, was quick enough to immediately come back with…
*** I can think of two differences! ***
And that made up for it!
True Blue Jack