Most notable bespectacled athletes

Sean Doolittle, standout relief pitcher for the Washington Nationals, wears prescription glasses.

Apropos of nothing, he is a big sci-fi and fantasy reader and tweets about independent bookstores he finds while traveling for games.

Well, he was a decent reliever but not this season and he’s probably no longer with the Nats, he’s testing free agency.

Dom DiMaggio, The Little Professor.

The Hanson brothers

Little factoid about the Hanson Brothers… They were actually the inspiration for the Sutter Brothers.

The movie left an indelible mark on Ma & PA Sutter.

One of the top five alltime NHL coaches, Al Arbour, in his playing days, looked pretty sharp with the ol’ specs on.
Even fought with them! :slightly_smiling_face:
Tom Henke
Bobby Riggs been mentioned?

Even as a Phillies fan I wasn’t going to bring him up until I realized he was 1950 NL MVP as a friggin’ RELIEF PITCHER so I give you the vastly underrated and overlooked Jim Konstanty.

Rodrigo Blankenship, kicker for my Indianapolis Colts, wears glasses on the field.

Clive Lloyd, the great West Indian cricketer, and long-time captain of the West Indies national team during the period of dominance in the 1970s and 1980s, wore glasses for a fair portion of his career. I believe that he switched to contact lenses later on.

New Zealand spin bowler Daniel Vettori and Indian leg-spin bowler Anil Kumble also wore glasses while playing. I’m sure there are others, but they’re the ones I remember from watching the sport.

Specs Toporcer, whom I remember from this Red Smith column, one of his last (it won’t, by the way, count against your monthly allowance of NY Times articles).