Most unconvincing portrayal of a teenager in movies/films

How about Crispin Glover in “Back to the Future” ? Marty’s father back in high school looked older than most of the teachers !

Of the list in the OP, I vote for Stockard Channing. I always thought she looked way too old for a high schooler.

Thank you.

I’m voting for this “17 year-old”. He looks, like, 63!

As a pre-college bloke I bought every amovie teen as a teen because I didn’t know better. Then I got to college and I was like wow! everyone looks so young! Weird…

Nowadays every actor looks too old, and instead I’m surprised when an actor actually looks young enough to be their character’s age.

Jamie Lee Curtis was 19 during the filming of Halloween, so she was a real, live teenager. And while I agree with you that she didn’t look like the stereotypical “virgin loser” movies usually like to show, I’m not sure she looked “knowing”, I think it was just the 70s.

I don’t remember when or where I read this, but IIRC Kleiser claims that the decision to use adults for the lead roles in Grease was deliberate. He said he wanted to emphasize the difference in maturity between the seniors at Rydell and the rest of the student body who were played by actual high school age extras. He said it highlights the theme of striving for adulthood/coolness or something. Then again it could just be his way of responding to criticism.

I choose ‘Other.’

Lindsay Lohan in I know who killed me looks about 40 even though she was actually an appropriate age for her character when the film was made.

Seeing her beside her school ‘peers’ was cringe-worthy because she looked so old and used up.

James Dean was what, 24 when he did Rebel Without a Cause? He of course did a masterful job of capturing the angst but regardless looked years beyond a teenager.

I could never buy into Michael J. Fox in the *Back to the Future *movies. He just doesn’t seem like a teenager. Way to responsible, sensible and acts more adult than he should.

I thought of this, too. I’ve watched the DVD with commentary and Emma T talks about Ang Lee asking her to do particular scenes again “only try and be more ‘19’ this time”.

Since her age is never explicitly given in the film and having her seem older than she really is fits with the degree of responsibility Elinor takes upon herself I can suspend a lot for this one.

Don’t forget Steve McQueen in The Blob

When I first saw Grease, I only saw parts of it (mostly the musical parts, I think). I never realized the students were supposed to be in high school. And when I did figure that out, I thought it was supposed to have intentionally cast older people, who are reenacting their childhood years.

Man, did they look old. (I chose Travolta, as I still think he looked older than John, and she pretty much looks her age.

Lets not.

Dinah Manhoff,Lorenzo Lamas both 19

I think that Stockard Channing gets singled out here because while all the main actors looked too old to be high schoolers, they all looked more or less like they were in one “age category.” Stockard Channing looked like she was older than that age category.

Yeah, I re-watched that recently and she looks to be about 40, even in movie-land it gives the impression of around 30. And in the book it says she’s 19. (It also gives the impression that Mrs. Dashwood gave birth to 3 children, each 10 years apart.)

I didn’t mind the cast of “Grease” 'cause everyone was so old they kind of evened themselves out. It would’ve been much worse had all the main actors been around 20 and ON-J was the only one 30 years old. But since they were all a little “long in the tooth,” that it kind of didn’t matter.

Add to that the actors they did choose were excellent. It’s hard to see anyone else playing the parts. And certainly without Olivia Newton-John’s involvment you would’ve lost the songs “Hoplessly Devoted To You,” and “You’re The One That I Want” which were written by ON-J’s producer John Farrar.

If you can remember to the 50s you had Richard Crenna playing Walter Denton was in his late 20s early 30s during the run of “Our Miss Brooks.” Of course that started in radio where it didn’t matter what age an actor was. In fact on “The Great Gildersleve” the nephew was played by an old man and had to be replaced with an actual kid for the movie version.

That’s the sort of disconnect I get from The Graduate. Dustin Hoffman looked like a 30-year-old he was which, for me, spoiled much of the shock of him being hit on by an older woman. It would have been more startling if a. the two leads were farther apart in age, because just shy of six years isn’t a big deal b. the boy they picked to play a 22-year-old actually was 22 or the older woman was actually played by someone middle-aged at the time, not 36.

I don’t expect many people to remember Endless Love, and the film was a trainwreck for many reasons, but one of those reasons was Martin Hewitt playing the 17y/o main character. Hewitt was 23, but his teenage ship had sailed far out onto the open sea. Brooke Shields was 16, her character was 15, same difference really, and watching their love scenes makes one want to call Chris Hansen to come catch a predator.

I’m not sure this counts, because IIRC they don’t mention Elinor’s age in the movie. If the character is older in the movie that’s just a difference between the movie and the book, not a case of an actress trying (and failing) to act like a girl half her age.

I think Sense and Sensibility works pretty well with a bigger age gap between Elinor and Marianne, and with Elinor on the verge of being an “old maid”. For period pieces it also makes sense to age the female characters a bit, just because it’s now unusual, even unacceptable, for girls in their teens to be worried about finding a husband. It’s going to work better for the audience if the women are a bit older, even if this isn’t historically accurate.

Just occurred to me: How old was the character Yentl supposed to be?