Mount Rushmore of Professional Wrestling: Who's On It?

Using YogSosoth’s method I would have two different monuments. The first one for the founding father’s of showmanship:

Gorgeous George = George Washington

He represents the start of modern wrestling. A wrestler as a larger then life television personality. He wasn’t alone, but along with others he raised the art form. Greatness emerges in the circumstances of the times, and George used the dawn of television to define a new image of wrestlers.

This one the same as YogSosoth

Andre the Giant = Abraham Lincoln

There may never be a bigger name in wrestling. He was a genuine giant, and he dedicated his life to professional wrestling and it’s fans. He was, is, and always will be the Eighth Wonder of the World.

Mick Foley = Teddy Roosevelt

This century of wrestling owes it’s attitude and high impact technique to Cactus Jack, Mankind, Dude Love, and Mick. He changed the style of wrestling, and the relationship of wrestlers with the fans. He sacrificed his health for the game, and did it for the fans instead of himself.

The other Mt. Rushmore would be based on technical wrestling skills:

Lou Thesz = George Washington

Lou was heir apparent to Ed “Strangler” Lewis, the first great champion at the start of scripted wrestling. Lewis’s technical wrestling ability was prized by the early promoters who always risked contenders going off script in a championship fight. Lewis trained Lou Thesz in his techniques, and Lou was able to become become champion and hold off all challengers repeatedly over decades. His competition was tougher and better trained than the earlier days, and business challenges arose also that required Lou to resort to real force when necessary. In a famous incident Buddy Rogers considered holding the title Thesz had ‘loaned’ him. Lou told the Buddy “We can do this the easy way or the hard way”. Rogers remembered to stay down when he was supposed to.

Antonino Rocca = Thomas Jefferson

“Argentina” Rocca was an extremely popular Italian via Argentina immigrant who drew huge crowds from the ethnic Italian and Hispanic populations in the Northeast cities. He packed arenas and did with an exciting high flying athletic style. Wrestling barefoot he had the agility to foot slap his opponents with his hand behind his back. He pulled out of throws with cartwheels and backflips. He delivered dropkicks, and leaps from the ropes. Rocca turned wrestling from a slow, grunting sport into a rapid action ballet.

Verne Gagne = Abraham Lincoln

Verne was a outstanding amateur and professional athlete before becoming a professional wrestler. He was a college football player, NCAA wrestling champion, alternate for the US Olympic team, and played in the NFL. He chose wrestling over football because it was better paying, and he became one of the highest paid wrestlers in the 1950s. Verne combined the rough sport of professional wrestling with his actual amateur wrestling skills. He was known for his stamina engaging in matches that lasted an hour or more, and his ability to flawlessly execute wrestling moves. At the same time he could stand in and brawl whenever it was called for. Long after retiring as champion other wrestlers still considered him a dangerous wrestler. He controlled his own wrestling promotion with a combination of respect from the old school wrestlers and physical intimidation.

Bret Hart = Teddy Roosevelt

The son of the famous Canadian wrestler Stu Hart, Bret trained from an early age for a career as a professional wrestler. “The Excellence of Execution” was an innovator of wrestling moves, and expertly agile, flexible, and strong. Even while wrestling degenerated into brawling and high impact moves Bret still used classical wrestling holds against his opponents. As wrestling became more dangerous, Bret kept up and introduced a bonebreaking style of all out fighting while maintaining the athletic art of the sport.
Writing this I’ve realize there could be many more Rushmore’s to honor the different aspects of wrestling. There’d be spots for cartoon wrestlers like Hulk Hogan and Chief Jay Strongbow, workhorses like Rick Flair and Bruno Sammartino. There could be a Rushmore for the other giants of wrestling besides Andre; Don Leo Jonathan, Haystacks Calhoun, and the Great Baba among others.

1. Ric Flair - no question. Iconic for the last 3 - 4 decades.

For the other 3 spots, I think these should be in contention:

1. Andre the Giant - others have said enough
  2. Gorgeous George - the only wrestler that my 73 year old mother can name. She is about as far from a wresting fan as anyone can get, yet she remembers him. That’s how popular he was way back in the day
  3. Some other legend from the much older days.
  4. Dusty Rhodes - He was my favorite when I was a child in the 80’s. He was the good, common man fighting against the evil represented by Ric Flair (I was young back then, and didn’t understand the role that Flair was playing.)
    6 - 10. Some others that I haven’t though of
  5. Hulk Hogan - Ugh, a manufactured product of Vince McMahon. Extremely overrated. I don’t think he belongs here, but a lot of people do, so I’m putting him in this category. That said…
  6. Vince McMahon - He did change professional wresting in a way that nobody else did. I can’t see putting a non-wrestler on the mount, but if we do, then he belongs.

Others nominated that I say “sorry, but no” to:

Macho Man and Mick Foley - I love these guys, but you can’t be one of the top 4 of all time if you were never the clear #1 of your era. There’s a reason why Aaron Burr isn’t on Mt. Rushmore. If James Madison doesn’t make the real Mt. Rushmore, then these guys can’t make the wrestling one.

ETA: We’re picking 4 guys out of the last 100 years or so. To make the list you have to have been on the top for more than a decade, and remembered several decades after your prime.

If Bruno is there you have to have Johnny Valentine.

I wanted to find a way to include Johnny. He was one of the workhorse wrestlers. It took a plane crash to end his career. When his son Greg “The Hammer Valentine” started wrestling while Johnny was still active they pretended to be brothers so the fans wouldn’t realize how old Johnny was.

I loved watching Bruno Sammartino matches, but he was just a strongman and brawler who had a great relationship with the audience. A great athlete and wrestler, but not at all innovative, nor did he leave a lasting effect on the sport in the way so many others did.

Lou Thesz–a true icon and master of the ring. Added an aura of legitimacy as champion, and was an old school gentleman outside of the business. I count myself fortunate to have had some online correspondence with him before he died.

Gorgeous George–the first real breakout star. In his heyday, and even today, people that know nothing about pro wrestling can identify him as a pro wrestler.

Hulk Hogan–probably the best all time draw the business has ever known. Hogan was money in the bank for 20 years or longer. Possibly the defining performer of the modern era.

El Santo–a Mount Rushmore for pro wrestling has to have a masked wrestler, and he was one of the best.

Hulk Hogan is the equivalent of Paul Bunyan. Marketing fiction. He was the face of Wrestlemania, but not the meat. He was a cartoon drawn and sold by Vince McMahon, and a total failure with him.

ETA: And why the hell is this thread in the Game Room? Sports/**Entertainment **people.

No. Pro wrestling is all about putting asses in the seats. Nobody did that better than Hogan over the long term.

Should Mortimer Snerd get the credit for Edgar Bergen’s popularity?

Bad analogy. Hogan was on top when he worked for Verne Gagne before he jumped to WWF, he was on top in Japan when he worked over there, he was on top in WCW when he went there and rejuvenated his career with a heel run…which he hadn’t done since he left Verne’s AWA. The guy had the rare combination of a great look and off-the-charts charisma. He was much better in the ring than McMahon allowed him to show, and he was gold on the mic. McMahon’s savvy as a promoter played a role in Hogan’s success, but for the most part, it was a matter of Vince recognizing what a cash cow he was and milking it dry. That’s what wrestling promoters do.

Like him or not…and I don’t, you can’t credibly deny the man’s talent or drawing power.

Hogan was on top of the AWA and short stays in Japan and wasn’t making any money. He had to make stop overs in the WWWF to survive, and he was just big then, not that great as a wrestler. Yeah, he did have a little bit of talent, but it was one dimensional. The audience got tired of the act quickly. Vince had to keep switching him out to give the fans a break. And yes he got to the top of WCW, if you mean the top money loser that helped them down the drain. Vince could have turned plenty of other wrestlers into a star like him. I think he regretted that he didn’t find Randy Savage first. I’m forced to give him credit for being smart enough to play it out. Plenty of other wrestlers wrecked their opportunity.

That’s true to a certain extent. Had Hogan not jumped from the AWA, Vince could have pushed someone else as champ and made money. I don’t know that anyone could have become quite as big a star as Hogan was, including crossover appeal with the cartoons and the whole “Rock-n-Wrestling” thing.

JYD had the charisma, but he also had substance abuse issues and he wasn’t as good at interviews.

Kerry Von Erich had a great look, but again major drug issues.

Savage pretty much screwed himself out of the WWF. Literally. Or so the story goes. There is definitely major heat between him and Vince.

Lawler was too small for New York…and probably too Southern as well.

Dibiase comes close. Much better in the ring than Hogan could ever be, capable of having a good match with anybody, in any style, good charisma, good talker, and good as a babyface…but even better as a heel, even in that cartoonish gimmick he used up there.

I don’t think Flair could have done it…WWF was pretty much always a babyface champ promotion, and Flair doesn’t really fit that role.

Dusty? Maybe…but Dusty didn’t really have the look Vince wanted.

Tony Atlas was not a good talker, and had drug issues.

Barry Windham didn’t really have the charisma for that spot.

Snuka couldn’t talk.

Warrior was and is a headcase. Had a great look, could be carried in the short WWF style main events, couldn’t talk…and again, major headcase.

Sting is another possibility, but he was still a little green when Hogan made the scene. Don’t think he was ready to carry the promotion the way Hogan did.

No Freddie Blassie?

What a bunch of pencil neck geeks.

I, personally, would go with;

-Bruno Sammartino (Probbly the greatest wrestler of the pre-WWF era)
-Hulk Hogan (the man who more or less single-handedly brought wrestling into the pop culture mainstream)
-Ric Flair (The most hard-working man in wrestling ever, bar none)
-The Rock (The Hulk Hogan of the 21st Century, and pretty much the only wrestler to cross over into mainstream cinema successfully, who i’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread)

But that’s just me.

Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Bruno Sammratino and The Rock.

A (thread) winner is you!

What no Sid Vicious?? lol
Ric Flair has to be included on it… Ric carried the entire south…and Dusty Rhodes… if he hadn’t just fucked up his entire legacy by hanging around fat and lazy…

Lou Thesz… Gorgeous George… Andre… Hulk… Nature Boy… THE REAL NATURE BOY lol… not Buddy Rogers…
If we do a second monument… where can I put Dick the Bruiser and THe Crusher… loved those guys… wonder if One Stop is still open lol

Maybe on a Mount Rushmore of Tag Teams…

The Fabulous Kangaroos (Costello & Heffernan)

Bruiser & Crusher

The Road Warriors

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy & Roberts–sorry, Jimmy-Jam, but you don’t make the cut)

Without reading the thread, my instincts say Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and Ric Flair.

My Four

Sgt Slaughter
Hulk Hogan
John Cena
HHH

The Sicilians, Lou Albano and Tony Altomare have to be on the tag team Rushmore. Also Lou’s later charges Aga and Sika, the Wild Samoans. And Fabulous Freebirds have to be there as well. Buddy Roberts was the best tag team technical wrestler of all time.

When you look at all the stars of wrestling it gets harder and harder to pick just four even in subcategories.