Movies and shows about journalists doing their jobs

How about Ace In The Hole?

I worked in an actual newsroom where a reporter and editor got into a fistfight. So maybe …

Not a whole series, and possibly not what you are looking for, but the last season of the wire depicts what many people said was an accurate depiction of a newsroom. Of course it is mostly about the police drama, but the whole series made a point of examining different aspects of Baltimore institutions, with the fifth season focusing on Journalism.

//i\

Haven’t made it to copy editor yet, I’m guessing. :smiley:

I loved that show! It’s running on one of the rerun networks, Cozi, or MeTV, or something, and I have a bunch of eps on DVR. I know exactly which actress you’re talking about! I never put it together that she was Mrs. Wolowitz! But the last time I watched an episode, I thought there was something about her voice I couldn’t place. I just thought it’s because I’ve seen the show so many times, from a young age. I must have been 8 or so the first time I saw it. It was pretty scary to me then-- scary good, but still scary.

It is not a movie nor a show, but the Longform podcast features interviews with journalists and authors. I find them fascinating to listen to.

I considered this, but I’m leaning against it, because I don’t want to jump in on the last season of a five-season crime show without knowing all the backstory and characters, and I don’t want to watch four seasons of a crime show to get to that.

Five Star Final (1931)

"The City Editor of a sleazy tabloid goes against his own journalistic ethics to resurrect a twenty year old murder case… with tragic results. " - from IMDB

Shakedown (1950)

“Unscrupulous and opportunistic San Francisco news media photographer Jack Early steps-on and uses folks, to get ahead, but in the end he tangles with the wrong people.” - from IMDB

Deadline U.S.A. (1952)

“With his newspaper about to be sold, crusading editor Ed Hutcheson tries to complete an exposé on gangster Rienzi.” - from IMDB

Park Row (1952)

This is a super cheap film whose primary purpose seems to be extolling the virtues of a free press. Written and directed by a former reporter.

-30- (1959)

“A managing editor of a LA newspaper must put together headlines for the next day in a way that’ll attract the potential readers, deal with hectic going-ons at the workplace and have a serious talk with his wife about her wish to adopt.” - from IMDB

Between the Lines (1977)

"Story of an underground newspaper in Boston about to be taken over by big business. " - from IMDB

The China Syndrome – This is often remembered as a thriller about the dangers of nuclear power plants, but the main through-line of the film is a reporter (Jane Fonda) determined to report on a serious news story that is being covered up.

How about Call Northside 777? 1948 movie starring Jimmy Stewart as a reporter who tries to prove that a convicted man was innocent. And it’s based on a true story.

I don’t know if non-American newspapers are of interest at all, and it isn’t out yet, but the BBC are making a new ‘headline’ series called ‘Press’ which looks like it could be great.

It will air late this year on Masterpiece on PBS in the US.

Great writer and cast, so looks promising.

The Hour looked promising, too. But it stumbled along to a mediocre end.

State of Play, a six-part UK series about a newspaper investigating the death of a political researcher. It was remade as a movie in the US, which wasn’t as good.

And an unconventional choice; Almost Famous. It’s the based-on-true-events story of a fifteen-year-old writer who is embedded with a touring rock band while he is writing what becomes a Rolling Stone cover story.

Did that newspaper feature The Straight Dope?

Understood! I was a PI for years and there were many times I would be sitting in a hot van watching a house for 12 hours at a time and thinking, “Hey! I’m a private detective. Where are the beautiful women trying to get information from me?”

Season 5 of The Wire was focused on a fictionalized version of the Baltimore Sun newsroom.

Deadline USA is the most revered among my colleagues.

Ugh. The reporter (I can’t remember his name. Good riddance, probably) who made up stories made my blood boil.