Movies far better than you remember

I want to know just how close the story was to reality. I could imagine exclusive schools for boys as bastions of tradition, but I also know a lot of people (parents and teachers) want the system to “unfreeze.” Personally, I agree with the principal: tradition and discipline while they’re young. When they become independent adults, they can be as romantic and non-conformist as they want.

I know this is heresy but for along time I thought Blade Runner was boring, over rated and only good with regard to set design. When I got an HD TV I wanted to see it because I knew it looked good. It had been the first time I had seen it in year at the time and the movie just clicked for me. Beyond the fact that it looked great, the story and the characters all worked and I wasn’t bored at all. I like it a lot now.

A pair of movies I could put in either thread: Superman and Superman 2. As a kid I thought Superman was boring and Superman 2 was the best. As an adult, Superman is a great film and Superman 2 is not bad but very silly and childish in places.

For me it was The Man who Wasn’t There. I couldn’t finish watching it the first time. I found it boring and not at all entertaining.

But then I watched it again recently and it’s a terrific film. I really like Billy Bob Thorton and Frances McDormand. Two of the best actors of our time.

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

I saw this at the drive-in when I was about 16. I thought it was OK, but I wasn’t particularly impressed.

When I saw it again at about twice that age, I realized that it was a comedy, and that made it one of the best movies I had ever seen.

My wife barely remembered seeing “Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” in the theater. I remember we were both meh about it afterward… but its now one of those movies she’ll stop and watch if its on.