Movies that had multiple actors who eventually became famous

Empire of the Sun was Christian Bale’s first big movie, and he’s absolutely amazing in it as a child of 12.

It also featured, in major speaking roles, John Malkovich, Miranda Richardson, and Ben Stiller. The first two were on the cusp of fame but not there yet, and Stiller was years away from being known as an actor at all. It’s still strange now seeing him not being Ben Stiller in a movie, but a young actor.

Evans and Whitman were already well known, Evans for that other superhero franchise, Whitman as a child actor.
Routh, too, had already been Superman…

Sometimes a trailer is awful. I quite liked the movie though, maybe I have a fondness for such US summer comedies having never experienced a real one in the UK. It might be an offshot of The State, a sketch series I’d never heard of, but the movie seems to have the late 90s SNL vibe to it.

Almost Famous had a stellar cast of people in various degrees of stardom. The ones who went on to bigger things were Zooey Deschanel, Billy Crudup, Kate Hudson, Eric Stonestreet, Rainn Wilson and Pauley Perrette. Probably a few others. Patrick Fugit never went much further, and Frances McDormand, Jason Lee and Philip Seymour Hoffman were already big names by this point.

It also featured Marc Maron and Jimmy Fallon

Can’t Hardly Wait

Jennifer Love Hewitt
Ethan Embry
Lauren Ambrose
Peter Facinelli
Seth Green
Freddy Rodríguez
Jason Segel
Clea DuVall
Selma Blair
Jenna Elfman (uncredited)

Stand By Me was, if not their first gig, certainly a big early gig for Wil Wheaton (a year before TNG), River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O’Connell, Kiefer Sutherland and Casey Siemaszko.

Hell Drivers wasn’t the first screen appearance for Sean Connery before he was James Bond — or for Patrick McGoohan or David McCallum, before they fielded their star-making secret-agent roles — or for William Hartnell before he, too, landed a miniblurb-at-the-top-of-his-wikipedia-page role of his own, as Doctor Who; but that still seems like a heck of a thing.

I thought maybe Marnie was worth bringing up–early appearances by Sean Connery, Tippi Hedren, and Bruce Dern–but as it was preceded by both The Birds and Dr. No; I’m not sure Bruce Dern’s breakout performance is enough to get excited about.

The Last Supper is a fairly obscure 90’s movie that I like to recommend to people; it’s about a group of people who gather each week for a spirited political debate over dinner, and end up killing the invitees they don’t approve of. The cast includes roles from Cameron Diaz, Bill Paxton, Courtney Vance, Ron Perlman, and Jason Alexander, among others.

It’s not a movie but Band of Brothers was a 10 episode mini series so it’s not like a long running series.

Several had some level of fame before the show.

Donnie Wahlberg was known as a singer but only had one other small acting role in The Sixth Sense.
David Schwimmer was obviously famous.
Ron Livingston had starred in Office Space but it was a flop and not yet a cult movie.
Scott Grimes had been a working child actor for years.
Jimmy Fallon was on SNL but only had a cameo.

The rest were pretty new in their careers and mostly unknown. They range from giant movie stars to actors with busy careers in British and American TV.

Damien Lewis
Michael Fassbender
Tom Hardy
James McAvoy
Andrew Scott
Simon Pegg
Dominic Cooper
Jamie Bamber
Neal McDonough
Colin Hanks
Jason O’Mara
Kirk Acevedo