Movies that truly stood the test of time

Anyone who said Pitch Black, I would suggest the original Alien instead.

Best example so far. I think it helps that it’s a period piece, which also helps Raiders.

Two of my favorites…

The 1951 version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim

Bullit with Steve McQueen

FARKAS!!!
I gotta second this. This movie captures everything perfectly and I have to secondRaiders of the Lost Ark. Superb in every sense…especially the music.

Radio Days is wonderfully nostalgic and silly. I think this is a classic and it is the best Woody Allen film because he is only the voice over. Yay!

Three Musketeers The Michael York version and The Four Musketeers. are classics. Though I would love to see a better remake than the crap that Disney put out a few years back. Can’t get enough swashbuckling.

Robin Hood with the original Man in Tights, Errol Flynn.

His Girl Friday with Cary Grant and Roslyn Russell. Their comedic timing and the insane plot line are.absolutely.perfect.bar.none.

“Diabetes! I shoulda known better than to hire somebody with a disease!”

Office Space Just captures it all perfectly.

There was another movie I was watching the other day that I can’t remember what it was right now and all I could think was, " This is perfect…a classic."

Princes Bride

Man from Snowy River

Lion in the Winter

Galdiator

Best in Show Gets funnier and more true to it all every time I watch it. and possibly Blowin’ in the Wind

I like McQueen, and I’d like to agree with this, but I can’t. The chase seen is still heart-pounding, but the story is, at this point, pure cliche. (The fact that it’s a cliche because every other rogue cop movie has stolen from it is irrelevent; it’s still predictible.)

A good film, but not timeless.

How about Cool Hand Luke, Hud, and The Hustler for a Newman triple feature of timeless films. “What we got here…is a failure to communicate.”

I suspect Arsenic and Old Lace will remain hilarious for years to come. “Charge!”

Stranger

Well, gee, thanks for making me feel old.

Night of the Living Dead.

The Thin Man.

Neither of them require any handicap nor excuses.

I think The Blues Brothers should make this list.

Someone just mentioned The Thin Man in the not-timeless thread, largely because of the portrayal of constant drinking. And c’mon, if that was real hooch they were throwing back, they’d be face down in the gutter by the third reel. Still a great movie.

Stranger On A Train, I gotta disagree on The Hustler. I haven’t been able to find an old-style pool hall like the one at the beginning and end of that movie, and I’ve looked. I don’t know if places like that ever really existed, but now all the billiard halls are places like Jillian’s, with a bar and music playing, but no serious pool-hall vibe. And Fast Eddie and Fats are shooting straight pool, which almost no one plays anymore. Also still a great movie.

And how odd that you would mention Wages of Fear, I just saw that for the first time a couple weeks ago. (I remember catching the American remake, Sorcerer, on cable several times when I was pretty young.) It’s timeless in its setting, desperate men in desperate circumstances and all that, but I think filmmaking style has moved on. All of the suspense sequences are done in such a way that you’re forced to accept the characters explanations of what’s going on. Like the scene where they have to back the truck out to the edge of the wooden platform to get around the switchback. It’s never shot in such a way that you can really see the maneuvering involved, but Yves Montand says it and it must be so. A modern movie wouldn’t do that. Action and suspense sequences are so highly coreographed now that we can see exactly what situations the characters are up against. Whether that’s for better or worse is still an open question.

Here you go, Liberal: “The 50 Most Important Hollywood Films (Spoilers)”

My childrens list (age 5 and 6)

**Wizard of Oz

Robinhood (Flynn)

Star Wars

Toy Story.

The Kid (Charlie Chaplin)**

My List

**The Godfather films (I and II)

Lawrence of Arabia

Appocalypse Now

Das Boot

Citizen Kane

Cassablanca

Duck Soup **(Tell me when Rufus T Firefly’s sings his plans for his administartion don’t sound familar )

A Christmas Carol

Raiders of the lost Ark**

honourable mentions that need more time

**Se7en

Pulp Fiction**