Movies where one actor obviously wandered in from another movie altogether.

Everyone in Ironman 2 seemed to be on the same page and got the vibe right (Downey, Cheadle, Paltrow, Rourke) with everyone playing it straight and Downey breaking the tension with sarcastic one-liners.
Sam Rockwell must not have gotten the memo since he goes over the top cartoony thinking he’s in a Joel Schumacher batman flick.

Strangely. much the same thing was said at Glover’s last family Thanksgiving dinner.

Donald Sutherland’s “Oddball” in Kelly’s Heroes springs to mind: a late '60s hippie in WWII France.

Phillip Serymore Hoffman in Along Came Polly. Every once in a while, he would wander into a scene like he just came out of a much better, funnier movie.

To be fair, these aren’t even b-list actors we’re talking about-they’re pretty much members of George Romero’s extended family who were likely working for peanuts. Still, they were supposed to be portraying people who were, you know, trapped in an underground cavern by literally millions and millions of zombies. I’d be pretty freaked out. And I’m pretty sure Doctor Logan was supposed to be a bit on the mad side anyway.

Glover’s performance is one of my favorite things about that movie. I think it underscores just how insane the events and mindsets of the other people were, that they found his ideas to have merit at all when he’s pretty clearly a raving lunatic.

My example is Micheal Madsen in Sin City. He seems to have drunk an awful lot of cough syrup, forgotten where he is or why he is there and seems to be making up his lines as he goes. It damn near ruined what it is otherwise a flawless film (IMO, YMMV, see dealer for details, etc.).

Kevin Kline in Prairie Home Companion
Chris Cooper in every movie I’ve ever seen him in.

I thought this was on purpose to show that his character is a socially awkward loser that tries too hard to be cool and charismatic like Tony Stark.

In every one of these cases I can only as “where was the Director in all of this?”

Same as John Schuck as Draal on Babylon 5. Just way over the top hammy acting like he thinks it’s an episode of Lost in Space or something. Nails on chalk board every time I watch it, takes me completely out of the story. Every bloody time I have to wonder why the Director and other actors didn’t reign him in.

Blazing Saddles. The whole cast wanders into the set of a Busby Berkeley musical being directed by Dom Delouise. Hilarity ensues.

Apparently, all of his lines were pseudo-improvised. The writers would ask how he would respond to a line and then they wrote it into the script.

In The Phantom Menace, Jar Jar Binks seemed to think he was in an episode of Ren & Stimpy.

Starcrash is often considered to be one of the worst movies ever made. Christopher Plummer is obviously phoning it in for a quick paycheck. And yet he is still better than the rest of the cast combined.

According to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/trivia all of his scenes were shot in one day. According to http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/bio he got paid $30,000.00 for that one day’s work. Pretty good money in 1978.

This probably isn’t fair of me, but in Plan Nine From Outer Space Bela Lugosi looked like he was making a home movie of him doing his Dracula schtick in the back yard. You know, a little something for the grandkids.

Completely on purpose. He’s playing Guy Noir! His entire role in the movie is incongruous with the rest of what is happening.
Heder and Rogen as the two cops in “Super Bad.” The movie is tipped a little dark but they are a pair of screwball cops.

I remember thinking it was actually Jack Black who wandered into the movie wearing a Philip Seymour Hoffman skin suit.

Yeah, it always seemed like their cop characters were written by someone other than the screenwriter. Didn’t mesh with the rest of the semi-autobiographical feel to the movie.

Along with the music from the beginning credits IIRC.

At first I misremembered the character’s name and thought you were talking about Zathros and was about to get all :mad: YOU TAKE THAT BACK. Zathros is great! “Zathros stay, Zathros die. Zathros go, Zathros die. Either way, very bad for Zathros.”

Then I looked it up and remembered who Draal actually is. Ugh. Yes. I am in complete agreement with your post.