Movies where the bad guys win?

My mistake. Butch and Sundance are the good guys, who don’t win in the end. The bad guys are the Bolivian army, who do win in the end. Thread criteria satisfied, Universe again in balance.

Actually, as TheeGrumpy said above, the original rules were a little confusing. I withdraw my submission if it bothers you.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Colossus is a great flick. I just watched it again the other night (scifi’s sofathon, great idea!) and sure, it’s dated, but the movie itself is amazing. It can be difficult to ignore the teletypes and other things that were gee-whiz in 1960-whatever, but if you can, the core of the movie is tight, well directed and the ending is still genuinely creepy.

My computer when I worked at Goddard Space Flight Center was named colossus. Hardly anyone understood. Made me sad. But then, the computer I had before that I named ABBA.

Now this I agree with. The first book is terribly sexist but a fascinating read, as I recall (it’s been many years). I was shocked at how really and truly awful the sequels were. You didn’t mention: in the third book, the martians arrive, and they are… Phobos and Deimos. yes, the moons of Mars are actually aliens, and help the humans destroy Colossus. Golly.

The Bad Astronomer wrote:

What a coincidence! The computer used secretly by the Bletchley Park cryptographers during World War II was also named Colossus. They used it to break the later 12-wheel Enigma codes used by the German High Command. It actually pre-dated ENIAC!

[slight hijack]

Best laugh I’ve had in ages. I thought you meant The Perfect Storm, forgetting the Stephen King mini-series.

{/slight hijack]

The Italian Job.

Off the top of my head…

The Mission
Woman in the Dunes (those villagers aren’t very nice)
Waco: Rules of Engagement

I think the OP was referring to fiction films. Without getting into who the good guys and bad guys are here (that belongs in great debates) I think it can be fairly said that nobody wins in this one.

Dances with Wolves.
Little Big Man.
Castle Keep.
I’m guessing that Star Wars III isn’t going to have a shiny-bright, happy ending…

If you think about it, look at the Phantom Menace. Hooray! Anakin survived! Now he can grow up to be Darth Vader and destroy Alderaan and kill Ben Kenobi and torture Han Solo! Hooray!

Fast and the Furious At the end, the truck hijacker takes off with the cop’s car, and leaves the cop standing in the street

Okay, I just saw this movie and need to say this. NOBODY WINS! Everyone is a loser including me for paying to see it! I just lost an hour and a half of my life that I will NEVER get back! sheesh…

[sub]bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad [/sub]

Jean et Florette, a great French film starring Gerard Depardieu.

He plays a farmed with a hump who moves to his mother’s old land to start raising vegetables when townsfolk said he would fail. When a drought comes, he tries to dig for water and dies trying (a rock falls on his head).

Within days of his death, his wife and daughter are forced to sell the land for a great loss to two weasly neighbors who claimed to be his friends. Within 24 hours, they know where to dig (they knew the whole time) and have water for the crops.

There is a sequel (the name escapes me) where the daughter at least gets some bittersweet revenge.

Dancer in the Dark

That’s Manon of the Spring, and together they are on my personal top 10. The director, Claude Berri, made the two simultaneously and released them in France a few months apart. Berri considers them a single long story that was split into two pieces for lenght considerations. The best way to watch them is back to back. This way, the twist at the end, and it’s a doozy, has the most impact.

First movie I thought of was “The Bad News Bears.”

You’d think our rag-tag bunch of misfits would rise above and be the winners in the end. Think again.

In Blue Streak, Miles Logan (Martin Lawrence) just walks away into the Mexican desert. I guess they wanted to leave an opening for a sequel, just in case.

FX.

And you though everyone lost in the other flick…

Easy Rider.

The death of the 60s youth movement symbolized by crude rednecks in a pickup who blast away at Captain America and Billy, our two countercultural heroes, and kill them dead for no reason other than being free. “You know why they hate you? Because you’re free.”

The Ref

One movie that has been vastly over looked by everyone is Way of the Gun. All of the characters can be considered bad guys though so I’m not sure if it meets the criteria.