Movies you've seen recently

I thought the tv pilot was packaged and distributed overseas as a movie…am I wrong?
I do know I had that version on laser disc as a kid.

Noomi Rapace: Action Star

Saw two Noomi Rapace movies via streaming.

Unlocked, which was excellent! Great action\spy thriller with supporting roles from Michael Douglas, Orlando Bloom and Toni Collette.

and

Close ,which was OK. The problem was with story. Noomi was great in both

It was released theatrically in 1979 a few months before the television series started up. I saw the movie premiere at one of the theatres in Hollywood. It did pretty well on the big screen, pulling in over $10 million in ten days according to Wiki.

Yes, it did. I figured that Glen Larson (who made both the Battlestar Galactica series and the Buck Rogers reboot) must have learned that people aren’t likely to pay to see something they already saw on TV.

Some references say that the Battlestar Galactica movie played in theaters outside the US, but I know for a fact that it played in theaters in the US in upstate New York. After the series had aired on TV.

Spoilers!

What the HELL was on TCM last night???

Tuned in about half-way through some Czeck movie and had to go Wiki it to make sure I wasn’t having a stroke or something. Valerie and Her Wild Week or something like that.

Indescribable. Like if you were dropped into David Lynch’s mind while he was on a massive 8-Ball bender. It was pretty to look at, but hard to wrap your head around. I don’t even know what I saw, and I was watching it. The Vampire was cool.

I don’t know what to say. TCM? Who else saw that Whack Shit?

The title is “Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders”(1970), and that wonderful soundtrack is available. It is definitely a “Did someone spike the brownie?” kind of movie.

Friday the 13th Parts 3-5

All trash, no value.

Friday the 13th Part VI

Hey, this was actually kind of fun.

1. Jason is shown moving. The first 5(yes, 5) movies never showed the killer moving around much. They just showed up and killed people in the absolute most boringly filmed way. This movie actually showed Jason move around.

2. It was funnier, which I think the series really benefited from. I mean, it’s getting ridiculous, so why not lean into that somewhat? They kind of did and Iliked that a lot more. Less violent, at least in my opinion, but more enjoyable.

I would say that Part VI was the first movie that was actually like a movie. I mean, this felt at the very least like it was filmed, directed, and edited by professionals. I would not be surprised if the first five movies were essentially the first movies ever made with a major budget by each director and team. I know that is not the case, but it feels it. Each movie was “setup, kill, setup, kill”. This movie actually had a lot more flow to the whole thing.

No, it isn’t brilliant. But Part VI is probably the first one I enjoyed. I was just marathon-ing the series up to then.

Watched Gringo last night on AP. Very entertaining movie though ending was somewhat predictable.

Army of Thieves - This is a prequel to Army of the Dead which I didn’t see because 1) I’m not really into zombie movies, and 2) it looked dumb. AoT, however, is a fun if somewhat ridiculous heist movie focusing on the fun if somewhat ridiculous safecracker character (who then goes on to AotD). There are lampshades galore hung everywhere on the genre, and it’s not one to take too seriously (as is usually the case for heist movies), but I enjoyed it for what it was. Certainly a lot less pretentious and stupid than the Ocean’s 11 franchise.

It’s a Zach Snyder effort though, so be aware.

Watched Army of Thieves last night and barely made it through. The guy playing Sebastian was a quirky and odd enough to keep watching. Even if the director was going for a B-movie vibe, the plot lines, writing and acting were utterly banal. Not a fan of zombie shlock so I won’t be seeing the sequel either.

Was in the mood for BladeRunner 2049 so watched it early this morning. Fucking great movie that gets better every time you watch it.

Last night we watched Finch on apple TV.
Tom Hanks , a dog, and a AI robot Tom Hanks made are trying to survive in a post global disaster world and have to make a road trip.
Absolutely nothing surprising, and a few of the usual ’ well that was stupid’ moments but well made and it’s got Tom Hanks , a dog and a quirky robot, so what’s not to like?

I watched “The Godson”(1971) on Roku last night. It is a sex/mobploitation cheapo with nobody you ever heard of in the credits. What is interesting is who isn’t in the credits-Harlan Ellison does a cameo, and I do believe the shot he is in is taken at his own home.

Friday the 13th Parts VII and VIII

These were OK, but nothing as good as VI. I have little to say about them.

Jason Goes To Hell - Friday the 13th Part 9

Jason isn’t in this movie for more than a few minutes. I can NOT believe this is the movie they thought was going to work. Let me repeat: Jason appears in the title of the movie, but is NOT in it for more than a few minutes. Ludicrous.

The Friday the 13th movies are not great and some are downright bad, but this is the BOTTOM of the barrel.

What were they thinking?

Avoid.

Note: I guess those are some spoilers for an almost 30 year old crappy movie, but there it is. Jason isn’t in it!

After these Friday the 13th movies(long overdue for me), I am going to watch the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I suppose after that, I’ll check out Freddy vs. Jason.

Is Nightmare on Elm Street better than Friday the 13th?

So far, in my limited experience, the best “80’s slasher” series has been Halloween. I liked Halloween, Halloween 2, the new Halloween(2018) and despite its flaws, Halloween Kill was adequate.

Anything to say about Eddie (“I’ve got a date with a soap on a rope!”)?
Jeff was the class clown in high school, and everything he did then cracked me up. So naturally I was predisposed to think it was an absolute riot to see him clowning in a Friday the 13th movie.
I fully admit that I was biased, plus it was 33 years ago.

I’ve been slogging through this film for days now. I watch a bit, then my mind starts to wander. It’s visually beautiful, but just doesn’t hold my interest very well. But then I’m probably one of the few people who didn’t like the novel back when it came out. I was an ardent SF fan in the 60s, but just couldn’t get into the thing.

Maybe I’ll give it another try at a later date and watch it all the way through.

I forgot! Yes, he was great! That’s so hilarious you knew him!