Movies you've seen recently

“The banshee! The banshee!

This movie was in heavy rotation on HBO in the late Seventies, when we first got cable, and I watched it a lot. It’s one of the few movies in his career in which Malcolm M. played the good guy. I should probably see it again.

Terrifying!

I stepped on a lot of little people after seeing that film!

X

Disappointing. It was OK, but I found nothing about it particularly bold, original, or all that interesting. I have a question, perhaps one that will reveal my lack of understanding. I think I understand and my question is reasonable, though.

Why are the elderly couple played by young(er) actors in old-person makeup? In fact, the main old lady is also the main protagonist girl, I think(???). Is there a point to this?

I heard they are making a prequel, but my streaming copy did not have the trailer for it that apparently screened in theaters as a post-credit scene.

That creepy horse-drawn hearse was in my nightmares for years.

I just watched Violet, Justine Bateman’s directorial debut. It looks like a first movie, but it kept my interest. Good performances. Not a movie for those who need a body count, car chases or a lot of blood in their movies.

I watched Judd Apatow’s pandemic Netflix comedy, The Bubble, last night. For its all-star cast, I found it pretty dull and unfunny.

Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once with my friend today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, really, really good movie. It manages to be thrilling, funny, confusing, suspenseful, heartfelt, and downright silly, all at once. Incredible fight choreography. And welcome back to acting, Ke Huy Quan.

The Shawshank Redemption - streams on Netflix

I haven’t seen this in 15 years or so and just so you know, it completely holds up and is indeed and excellent movie. I’ve never seen it on a large HD tv and it was great to see it this way. It really is one of the best Stephen King adaptations.

If you can suspend your disbelief some, it still delivers a powerful and emotions impact. It’s a shame Frank Darabont doesn’t do more movies.

Drive My Car. Winner Academy Award Best Foreign Film. Streaming on HBOMAX.

I didn’t realize it was 3 hours 20 minutes when I started it. The section that happens before the opening credits could have been a short movie itself! For a second I had just thought it was and that it was an abrupt end to an odd little thing …

Obviously a movie that takes its time to build its characters and relationships. Not for everyone but by the end I could see myself watching it again. Maybe educate myself on Chekhov’s Uncle Vanya first.

Metal Lords (Netflix) - coming of age friends are tired of being picked on, one gets a girlfriend, a falling out happens, adversity is overcome and a grand finale happens. You’ve seen this movie when it was called Angus Napoleon Dynamite Stoned Age. Still, it was cute. There were plenty of cameos from heavy metal musicians I adored in my formative years in the 90’s and it was chalked full of, ‘guess this song’ moments. It was fun and I laughed out loud a few times, but I couldn’t give it 4 stars.

I just heard from a friend about that. It sounds pretty cool!

I saw it once and liked it well enough, but have long been puzzled why it ends up on so many folks’ Greatest Movie Ever lists. Wasn’t nearly that good IMHO.

We decided to watch some Hitchcock films to pass the time. Saw Strangers on a Train, which was great, but then last night we watched “Young and Innocent”, which was just awful. It was a 1937 effort, but by no means his first film. A cast of people you never heard of, and a plot that was beyond stupid.

We tried Jamaica Inn once from Hitchcock and it was terrible.

Whenever things go sideways, I always silently hope a toothless carny will step in and say, “I can handle it!”.

An opinion shared by the director, who famously disliked directing period pictures and had a particularly difficult time with Charles Laughton on this picture.

Is that the one with the famous looooong zoom shot, over a crowded ball room floor, onto the bandstand, and close up on the drummer’s eyes?

Yes, and the entire band is in blackface for some idiotic reason.

He also thought Rebecca was not a real movie of his, but it is really great. They just did a new Rebecca on Netflix and while it is closer to the plot of the book(also great, by the way), it is a worse movie.

It is a pretty cool shot, though.

Just watched Happy Death Day this morning. Yes, it’s a cheesy horror movie, but I actually thought it was very well done for what it was. The actors were all at least competent, and the lead was quite good. There’s an enormous debt to Groundhog’s Day but it’s acknowledged in a line near the end of the film.

My only quibble is that I figured out who the murderer was (and their motive) by the first “death.” Still, a well-paced entertaining little film without too much gore if you’re sensitive to that.

Quite apart from the blackface issue, I’m also bothered by the fact that the “drummer man” isn’t remotely playing what we’re hearing. Put a little fucking effort in, would ya?