Movies you've seen recently

If you want to keep your faith in Law Enforcement Officers as good, competent people working for the public good, do NOT watch The Confession Killer on Netflix.

The sad tale of Henry Lee Lucas, who killed two people, but started to confess to murder after murder after murder once in custody. He eventually confessed to over 300 murders around the country. It took a journalist to step in and say ‘You know, this doesn’t seem plausible’.
Lucas actually told two Japanese reporters that he committed murders in Japan also. When asked how he got to Japan, he said that he drove there.

He was recently interviewed on NPR.

Thanks. He’s always fascinating. I am watching Nomad, his movie about Bruce Chatwin. Not as good(I guess the topic is less engaging to me), but still watchable because of Werner.

I watched Skidoo last night. It starred Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing, Austin Pendleton and a bunch of Batman villains(Otto Preminger, Cesar Romero, Frank Gorshin and Burgess Meredith), with music by Harry Nillson(who also had a bit part as a prison guard). Simplistic plotline involving LSD being used to break out of prison, hippie culture and George Burns playing God(not THAT “God”-another one). Rumor has it that George Burns actually took LSD to prep for the role, and I am quite sure he wasn’t the only one. Channing singing the title song was not bad, but Nillson singing all the credits at the end of the film was something else entirely.

Groucho Marx.

Crap, you’re right. That’s what I get for watching movies at 2 am. :grin:

Watched Taxi (the French one, not the US remake) over the weekend. Good silly fun, apart from the gratuitous sexual assault on the gratuitously sexy policewoman.

I finally got around to seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Tarantino’s most recent effort. It held our interest, but I can see why it didn’t make much of a splash. Actually, I wondered how many of the intended audience even knew what was going on. If a viewer wasn’t somewhat familiar with the Manson/Tate story, I think much of it would have gone over their heads.

I also watched Silver Streak with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. I had seen it before and still liked it well enough, although to be honest I was just happy to look at Gene Wilder.
Later I attempted to watch Critical Condition, with Richard Pryor…oh my god it was awful. I bet the poor man rolls over in his grave whenever it airs. Pryor is a conman pretending to be a doctor at a hospital during some kind of crisis. It was bad all the way, but here’s one example (I remember it because this is when I decided to go clean the bathroom instead of finishing the movie).
At one point he “assists” a pregnant woman to give birth. It’s played pretty straight by all the other actors…“push, push!” “Here it comes!” “Oh he’s beautiful!” etc. Then Pryor with the “joke”: “Look at the nuts on your baby!” :roll_eyes: Ugh, just fucking painful.

I watched the 2000 animated short Oscar winner Father & Daughter over the long weekend. Pretty high tears:runtime ratio for a non-Pixar film, I gotta say.

The Incredible Shrinking Man

A movie made in 1957 about an ordinary young man named Scott who on vacation with his wife suffers a condition from exposure to strange mist which causes him to gradually get smaller and smaller. His condition gets to the point where he is a mouse like figure but his wife stays by him until a face off with their pet cat causes him to be presumed dead (eaten) when actually he’s alive in the basement desperate to get back up or die trying.

Tenet:

I posted in the Tenet thread, but the gist is: It’s massively disappointing. Expensive, good looking, but a huge mess and ultimately empty. Avoid

Watched “The King of Staten Island” with Saturday Night Live’s Pete Davidson, who co-wrote it with Director Judd Apatow. I did some reading-up on it so I knew it wasn’t going to be what you might expect, a gross-out comedy. It had a few incidental laughs, but it wasn’t a comedy, and it was much darker than I thought it would be. Pete Davidson was quite good, essentially playing himself. (The film is semi-biographical.) My only qualms were that it went on just a little too long at over two hours, and the ending was a bit of a let down. The main character made a few positive changes in his life, but ultimately he didn’t really seem to have grown up much, so the film has neither a happy nor a sad ending. It just ends. That said, I would definitely recommend it, but any movie with Steve Buscemi is worth watching, even though his screen time in this one is rather limited.

I’m a fan and enjoyed it, but I have a question. In the scene where the woman scientist is talking about “we are all stardust” and Werner speaks up from behind the camera…he says what sounds like “Bavarium”, which elicits a laugh. Googling indicates that it’s some kind of explosive element from a computer game.

If that is what he says, it seems a bit obscure to me and odd that it would get a such a knowing response from her.

I looked up online subtitles because I couldn’t hear him either. It isn’t a funny joke and I don’t know why he included it.

He said, "I’m not Stardust. I’m Bavarian."

If there is a wordplay in there beyond him just being Bavarian(He was born in Munich), I don’t get it. Does Stardust sound like another region of Germany? Anywhere?

I haven’t seen it, but I assume he’s just making a joke. He’s not cosmic, ineffable stardust; he’s just unromantic, prosaic Bavarian. It’s a very German thing to say.

TMC ran a 24 hour Hitchcock marathon Thanksgiving weekend.

I was never a fan of his films. But I’m older now and decided to give them a chance.

I watched three and was pleasantly surprised.

Rear Window 1954 with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. It’s very good. Stewart does a great job playing a character that becomes obsessed in spying on his neighbors.

The Man Who Knew Too Much.1956 Stewart and Doris Day play characters on vacation. They accidentally meet a man that gets murdered. Their son is kidnapped and Stewart is warned not to tell police what he knows. It’s far fetched but still entertaining.

Shadow of A Doubt. 1943 Imagine the all American,Norman Rockwell family inviting Uncle Charlie into their home. His favorite niece begins to suspect he’s a serial killer. I loved this movie. The extreme contrast of a wholesome family entertaining a serial killer is so bizarre.

That’s a coincidence. After talking to some younger folks about favourite Hitchcock movies, I settled on Rope, Notorious and Shadow of a Doubt as my 3 non-obvious recommendations. I plan to re-watch each of them in the next few days.

Watched A Futile and Stupid Gesture, a biopic of Doug Kenney, one of the founders of National Lampoon. It is both incredibly funny and incredibly brutal: Kenney is shown to be both a comic genius and a deeply flawed human being, NL is portrayed as being both the cutting edge of progressive counterculture and sexist and racist, and the movie frequently mocks itself and its pretensions openly. And the whole thing really works, with a “twist” at the end that I won’t spoil, but which ties the whole movie together in a way you kind of wish it didn’t. If you even broadly enjoy NL-style humor, I would strongly recommend.

For a history of film class I watched that one and his previous 1934 version of the same film. Maybe it is because I watched the older one first, but I much prefer it to the later version. If you have not watched it before you should try to check it out.

//i\\

I watch that one every time I run across it.