Moving a Heavy Ship with Relatively Small Sails?

Your post was informative, but the contents aren’t basic facts about heavy ships with relatively small sails, nor do they refute any of the assertions made by the post you are (in that line) pretending that you are replying to.

I don’t really know what you are objecting to, or why you are taking that tone.

I replied to the section I quoted, and refuted the objection about high sails and about loading and unloading.

I’m not sure what the maintenance requirements will be, and I doubt that it will need a large crew.

Firstly the conversation had moved on to a general discussion about wind powered ships not this one in particular.

Retractable is great but another thing to go wrong and need maintenance.

I’ve been doing work for Wilhelmsens for 30 years. I know who they are thanks.

I’ve been hearing about a revival of wind powered ships for as long as I’ve been in the industry. But outside of some prototypes they are nowhere to be seen.

I listened with interest to a guy from Wilhelmsen give a paper about the serious and careful research they had done into unmanned ships too. He assured us it could well be just around the corner. That was about 15-20 years ago I think.

Go teach your grandma to suck eggs.

So your argument is that because it hasn’t been done so far, so it’s never going to be done?

The difference from a couple of decades ago is that now many companies are getting serious about reducing environmental impact, and looking at alternative energy and propulsion methods.

I don’t think anybody believes that technology in the shipping industry will be the same in 20-30 years time as it is now. Wind power is promising, and Wilhelmsen (and other companies too) are moving ahead with it. Wilhelmsen are planning to send the completed design to the shipyards next year, and have the first vessel in the water by 2025.

I don’t have an “argument”. I am just cautious about accepting that the long promised revival of wind power will occur on a broad basis and perhaps at all.

I agree that the pressure is piling on ship operators (and indeed everyone) to come up with greener solutions but a 90% saving on one’s fuel bill - if that is practically possible – has always been an attractive proposition and yet it hasn’t occurred to date.

As to this prototype, it may be built or it may be quietly shelved. It wouldn’t be the first time for the latter. And if it is built, the real question is whether it starts a revolution or ends up a lonely one-off.

It’s clear that you haven’t bothered to read the text you wrote.

Care to explain?

[Moderating]

@Melbourne, @GreenWyvern , cool it, both of you. This is getting too personal.