Moving threads to The Pit

What?

You sign your"name"- ie post, to a thread about how cute bunnies are, then it gets moved to the Pit and it’s suddenly about how ugly bunnies are? And your post sayng"I agree, they’re adorable!" Is suddenly changed to a statement that they are hideous?

No, it still says “I agree, they’re adorable”. Nothing at the top is changed, because that’s how this works.

I’m gathering that DrD really, really, really wants no word of his to ever be in the Pit.

Oh for fuck’s sake.

What on this website DO you think is fair? :dubious:

OK, now replace the Nazis with a coconut, translate the petition to Swahili after first running it through Google Translate to Fortran, and fill a bathtub with multi-colored machine parts. Your analogy has the same relevance as this.

Bottom line, you aren’t being forced to participate in anything against your will. Your posts aren’t being taken out of context, your words are not being changed, your reputation is unaffected.

Did your mother have a bad pit beef sandwich (if there is such a thing) while she was carrying you? Were you forced to read “The Pit and the Pendulum” in high school and it traumatized you? Can you show us where the bad Pit touched you on this doll?

C’mon. Your request is ridiculous on its very face.

You trying to get this thread moved to the pit?

Wooosh…

But if you don’t visit the forum, do the insults actually really even exist? Kinda like if there is a sound from a tree falling in a forest with no one to hear it. Deep shit. Think about it.

To be clear - moderators reserve the ability to move threads to the Pit if deemed necessary or called for. That being said, if there is a bona fide thread in a non pit forum moderators will take steps to keep threads on track in accordance with the rules of the forum in the best way they see fit.

I think DrDeth is ascribing magical powers to the Pit that don’t actually exist.

Every forum has its own raison d’être and rules. Sometimes threads get moved out of GQ into IMHO, because they fit better in the latter. Some posters disdain IMHO, preferring what they see as the more intellectually rigorous rules of GQ or GD. Should we declare that GQ threads can’t be moved because some posters feel their reputations would be damaged by the ignominy of appearing in IMHO?

I suspect the OP thinks the Pit is somehow special because it is more freewheeling than the rest of the board. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles, or the Pit sizzles, or the board operates. So what?

Oh, you know you’re going to hell for THAT!

I somewhat agree with the OP. If one starts a thread on a ”hot topic”, it may be fairly easy for others to have the thread derailed into the pit, as it were, where the OP is insulted instead of the argument debated. I don’t think that is common or a big problem, but I seem to remember a couple of such instances (at least to my interpretation at the time). If the OP itself does not belong to the pit, the thread should never in principal be moved to the pit, in my mind.
(I’m not sure this is what the OP is about here, but this is something I’ve reflected upon in the past.)

I dont 'think"* the Pit is somehow special * it* is*. It has special rules. It is the only place here where you can insult other posters.

It seems you can insult their intelligence anywhere.

Ah, I obviously did a poor job of expressing myself because that is not what I meant. For that I apologize. Let me try again.

I totally am in tune with limiting nastiness to the Pit. However, I do take a dim view of protecting people from themselves, which seems to be the case here.

If a thread is moved to the Pit, people who dislike the Pit in general can still go to just that one thread and respond without looking at any other threads in the Pit. Besides, it’s the same thread that it was before it was moved to the Pit, right? So, qualitatively, it really doesn’t matter where it is located. One either wants to participate or not. I cannot for the life of me see how the change of location is going to psychologically impact anyone. I would consider that level of sensitivity “snowflaky” (new word). That is what I meant.

Some users navigate to subscribed threads via the User CP page, which does not show the location of those threads. If you click on the “go to first new post” button, you won’t even see the forum heading. So it does not seem like “poster visits a subscribed thread, doesn’t notice that the thread is in the pit, gets a very nasty surprise” is an edge case scenario.

My comment still fits- once that occurs you ignore it if you don’t want to participate in the Pit. If you don’t realize it’s in the Pit (somehow miss the Mod note movIng the thread, for example), then you’d ignore the comment or report it.

I’m still trying to figure out how often this happens that we need a rule banning mods from being allowed to do this, as the OP wants.

Sure, it’s not an ideal situation but sometimes it’s the best choice of all options available. No one is suggesting that random dumping of threads into the Pit should be the norm. But a prohibition on doing it because a poster might get insulted and then is now forced to participate in a Pit thread seems uneccessary.

I don’t think it’s about a poster maybe getting insulted or being forced to participate in a thread, but rather about a poster having agency over the content that he or she consumes.

I do think it’s a reasonable expectation that if I post in [anywhere but the Pit], the responses I read will conform to a certain set of parameters. Those parameters are reasonable because they are the board’s default rules. The rules in the Pit are exceptions to our norms.

I’m not personally up in arms about this, but I get the OP’s point.

More importantly, will he begin caterwauling and rending his garments if it is?

I object to threads being moved out of the Pit. Why bother composing a spittle-flecked jeremiad against low fat pork rinds if it’s going to be banished to a goofus gallery of threads listing British Invasion one-hit wonders where the drummer’s middle name is a palindrome, or arguing whether Tom Bombadil could make Force lightning?

I think Tom Bombadill could make Force lightning.

In TTRFDX1321 pg 765 par 5, it implies that by equating rabbit fur with the propensity of non clerical raiments to be scat free. My post is my ontological cite