Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, on How to Pay for Medicare for All

The U.S. would do a lot better on many of those rankings if they compared like to like: how well does a U.S. population adjusted to match Canada’s or other OECD countries in terms of race, income, etc. do healthwise compared to those countries. Still, we pay too much and it’s wrong to have millions uninsured. I should know, because I was one of the ranks of the uninsured for well over a decade. And then I rejoiced at the passage of Obamacare, but soon learned was not eligible because I fell into the “family glitch”. That was a rough day, a moment when my otherwise stalwart faith in President Obama was shaken: Hillary Clinton promises to make sure my kids and I get health care. Why won't Obama do the same?

“Meaningless shite” is in the eye of the beholder. “Apocryphal” is not: the story about my Canadian mother and sister is factually accurate and therefore not apocryphal. That doesn’t however make it more than an anecdote. So how about a cite or three?

One more:

But those stories are all apocryphal, right? :dubious: (BTW, this story in particular matches perfectly with my sister and mother: they describe these insane wait times, I act appalled, they then defensively express a fierce pride in the Canadian health system overall, as I listen skeptically.)

And that idea that it’s all about need rather than ability to pay is not quite so either:

Look at my “apocryphal” sister, for example. She didn’t wait months to get her knee fixed: she did what any other middle class Canadian in her situation would do—go to the U.S. and pay out of pocket. (In case you’re wondering, she’s middle class because she and her husband are both veteran teachers, not because of any independent wealth.) So there’s a de facto situation of “poor people’s health care” when it comes to these kinds of surgery: poor people have to go on crutches for several months (probably exacerbating their poverty, making child care difficult, etc.), and middle class or wealthy people take care of it right away.

The upshot: We need to do better by our citizens and make access to health care universal. But we need to stop saying Canada is the model to follow. It is not. How about France instead?