Mucinex - "do not crush, chew, or break..."

Thank u.

Surprise! I’m actually responding (thanks to email notifications and gmail forwarding the new message to my current email account).

From what I can remember, it took me the entire day to come down from the effects. I’d give it a good 24 hours, but if it’s more than that, go to an outpatient center to get it checked out. Perhaps you need to get some food in your stomach, like beef or something heavy and healthy to soak up the medicine. good luck you’ll get through this!

Wow!!! Thank u. So nice that u sent a response I have such bad anxiety that this messed me up. But meat is a good idea.

Now that’s some lurking!

I solved the large Mucinex tablet problem by switching from the 1200 mg to the 600 mg size, twice a day. The “600 mg guaifenesin extended-release bi-layer tablets” EXPECTORANT “Relieves Chest Congestion Thins and Loosens Mucus Immediate and Extended Release”. YMMV

Another excellent reason NOT to crush Mucinex DM tablets is that there are two active ingredients–guaifenesin has been mentioned but it also has a good sized load of dextromethorphan as well. Take enough dextromethorphan and you will trip balls–this is why some crazy fuckers chug down bottles of Robitussin at a time, it’s called “robotripping.” I discovered that I’m pretty susceptible to dextromethorphan due to using Mucinex DM while working at a call center where you can’t be hacking up a lung while talking to people. Personally I find that the DM gets me higher than a lot of drugs I paid a bunch of money for–unfortunately, it’s not a good high and I dunno HOW those weirdos slurping down bottles of cough syrup manage it because that stuff is nasty AF. So yeah, the “DM” part is another great reason not to chop those things up.

I overdosed on dextromethorphan once. I took the tablets as directed, my doctor just prescribed too large a dose for me.

Holy shit was that unpleasant. It was bad enough that I’ve taken codeine cough syrup ever since.

More than a decade after this thread was started, there remains considerable opinion that Mucinex and its main active ingredient, guaifenesin, are of dubious effectiveness.

Hmm, i often take guaifenesin syrup, and i certainly find it soothing. I don’t think it reduces the amount that i cough at all, but i think it can help my cough be more productive.

Fwiw, i tried Mucinex tablets once, and didn’t find them as helpful.

And the reason for not crushing tablets can be for many reasons…

1. the taste - they sugar coat these things…

2. Active ingredients actually affecting the tongue, mouth , throat, because of the desired effect, eg anaesthetic , or because of side effect, in high concentration, it might do something … eg stopping saliva production, or makes too much…

3. The solubility of the most of the tablet before it gets to the stomach acid. People have had tablets get stuck in their throat or windpipe … not dissolving …

4. The texture of the insides… it may be dusty and tend to make the person cough or sneeze, or too hard on the teeth, and so on.

5. enteric coating - thats the jargon for slow release in the stomach and lower…

6. possibly colours the mouth or makes the mouth smelly